Team Continental - ORP Founders Grand Prix is now open on motorsportreg.com

i agree, where are the groun pounders. I love announcing their races. Its alsways a blast. Lets see the big bore guys.

Question?
Due to the limited paved paddock area I understand support vehicles will be a long was away. I can live with that.

But will we have to drive through gravel or dirt with hot sticky tires exiting pit lane to the paved paddock area?

Not going this time.

Sorry, but this year the schedule process strung out so long that waiting for it to finalize to be able to consider race dates in planning other family activities was no longer an option. By the time the race dates were finally settled upon, other commitments had been made for ORP's race date.

Question?
Due to the limited paved paddock area I understand support vehicles will be a long was away. I can live with that.

But will we have to drive through gravel or dirt with hot sticky tires exiting pit lane to the paved paddock area?

Pavement from the track to the paved paddock, so unless your paddocked in the dirt or gravel, you'll be fine.

Rob is correct, only if thats where you are pitted. It is paved from hot pit to padock.

GOOD question, actually.

A very SHORT trip in to the gravel (with hot tyres) at Pacific due to MY letting Jeff run out of fuel lead to this relatively new set of THROW AWAYS!

No way to dig all that stuff out of them and have anything like smooth rubber left. Note the poke marks in the upper right one where a couple of pieces of stone have fallen out.

Last edited:
They still hold air don't they? Bring 'em.
Nobody is going home with clean rubber anyway. They're just as likely to get messed up with an off course excursion, as moving around the paved, and gravel strewn paddock roads, even after a sufficient cool off.

Tires are really expensive. So it will not be a surprise that some of drivers will want to stay home until the track has developed enough, becoming more capable of providing for those amenities that will accomodate today's discerning drivers in the manner of which they prefer to remain accustom.

ORP represents so many of the challenges, and experiences that only sports car racers from the '60s, and 70's endured. With fewer venues available this type of facility would have been accepted as the 'norm'. Deer Park, Oly Airport, the early days of Three Rivers/Mission... What I can remember of Westwood wasn't all that fancy-dancy either. But they all qualified as championship race tracks, eh?

How much simpler was it, then? Live charting, without transponders, and computer resolved scoring. CB radio communication... maybe. No, in-car video, or youtube. The only thing that was paved was the track and the pits. Hay bales instead of tirewalls. Outhouses over holes in the ground, instead of regularly serviced Honey Buckets. Food? Bring your own. Fuel? Bring your own. Electricity? Hah!

I can see why some drivers might be more than just a little apprehensive.

The race is it's own reward. A reward that only those in attendance may reap.

Last edited:
What type of facilities will be there? I know there is no shower and porto-potties will be there but will there be any running water or clean water? Considering it's gonna be pretty warm I might want to hose myself down if possible.... you know, for the sake of others.

They still hold air don't they? Bring 'em.
Nobody is going home with clean rubber anyway. They're just as likely to get messed up with an off course excursion, as moving around the paved, and gravel strewn paddock roads, even after a sufficient cool off.

Tires are really expensive......

There's a HUGE difference between rolling across some rocks and gravel on COLD tires and HOT. Cold you just get some stuff on them sticking to the surface (which can be scrubed off on the out lap). HOT the rocks embed themselves into the soft rubber (on racing slicks) and put HUGE canyons in the surface and won't scrub out. Not good.

FC tires, Hoosiers/Goodyears.... over $900 a set... yes, expensive when you only get 3 (if lucky) usable weekends out of them. Jeff has NEVER been on a new set of tires. All recycled one weekend old sets at $270.

i Have been on new tires in gravel and it sucks. There is only gravel in the area of the south paddock. If your not pitted there you dont have to worry. We are trying to keep as many on the paved surface as possible, and the best way to be there is share a trailer with somone so you can be pitted next to each other

Last edited:
Can anyone post up info about how many people mailed in entries, rather than entering online?
Interesting to know if MSR is showing a relatively accurate count.

Thanks

Can anyone post up info about how many people mailed in entries, rather than entering online?
Interesting to know if MSR is showing a relatively accurate count.

Thanks

Karen,

We will have actual car count just prior to the 20th, As some of the Drivers are entering multiple race groups.

A report will be ran at that time with all the cars wanting to pit together, showing their paddock space number and/or numbers.

On the 20th we will be laying out the paddock and the pregrid, and striping same.

Once the paddock is striped we will be assisting drivers to locate their space/spaces for the drivers training on Friday the 21st

If you are staying for the entire weekend you will only set up your paddock space once.

Tech for the Drivers Training will also be available at the track Thursday afternoon/evening and Friday morning.

We look forward to seeing you all at ORP

Thank you,

John Rissberger
# 10 Camaro A/S Oregon
ICSCC & SCCA
Tech & Assistant Paddock Marshal

Brush the rocks from the tires as best you can Rich, then run em until they get warm and the rest falls away. They are too valuable not to use up, and I have never really noticed any appreciable drop off when I've had those gravel excursions. Once the tread gets really hot they will be fine, not for a national, but just fine for what we do.
Watch out for those rattlesnakes guys! I'm sure the noise and vibration will keep them at a distance though, right? Has anyone ever seen one at the track?
Ah yes Kenny, Westwood in the 70's, with smelly old wooden sani-cans, no water and very limited power, as in I don't recall any, and heavy rain that would wash your tent away if you foolishly pitched one, ( like I did twice). Cramped paddock, with the south portion gravel only, and bear in the infield. But man, what an awseome track that was to drive!

NO, I have spent a lot of time over there and have never seen a Rattly Snake.

There are Wabbits, Deer, and some Antelops.

Never the less when you step out of your car look down first.
You don't want to step the Peter the Wabbit :)-)

NO, I have spent a lot of time over there and have never seen a Rattly Snake..... :)-)

Grew up in Arizona and spent MANY days wandering over the foothills of the Catalina Mountains hunting Jackrabbits with my single shot .22 rifle. Shot a LOT of rabbits, saw thousands of scorpions, walked next to dozens of Gile Monsters, came across desert tortoise on occasion, watch Tarantula Wasps doing battle with Tarantula's and stumbled on to a Mountain Lions bed one day.

If you ever wondered, a scorpion will rip a Tarantula to pieces in about 10 seconds!

In all those years, only saw TWO rattlesnakes. One in Northern Arizona swimming in the White River. The other? My 10 year younger brother rushed out the front door to great Dad coming home. He immediately ROCKETED back in to the house! There was a 7' long rattler curled up right outside the front door! Got to shoot that one with my trusty .22 :) Still have that 'vintage' rifle.

Check around the Jersey Barriers and shady areas carefully. If they are close, they'll like burrowing under them to stay cool on hot summer days. Keep dogs and small children CLOSE. If they find one, it won't turn out good.

Rattlesnakes DO NOT go hunting humans. They rattle to warn things bigger then they can eat to stay away. The more activity at the track the farther away they will stay. On the other hand, they are wandering hunters who will take up new locations as time goes by. Just because one wasn't around yesterday doesn't mean there won't be one today. Likely place to find them early morning is laying on the pavement soaking up the heat.

DO NOT sleep outside in a sleeping bag. Yes Milo, they really will crawl in your bag to stay warm on a cool night. If you don't have a sealed tint (make sure it's sealed) sleep in your vehicle.

Point is, they aren't real social animals. They won't come looking for you but you may stumble upon them or, they'll stumble upon you at night.

Last edited:
Finally had a chance to go by ORP. Boy, is it in the middle of no where. The only RUNNING water, will be what you pour on the ground. Unless you have a RV, here is the bottom line......NO WATER, NO POWER , (except your generator), NO SHOWER, NO TREES, NO GREEN GRASS. Bring it with you or do with out.
See you all in a couple of weeks

What type of facilities will be there? I know there is no shower and porto-potties will be there but will there be any running water or clean water? Considering it's gonna be pretty warm I might want to hose myself down if possible.... you know, for the sake of others.

Thought I would throw this out there again for anyone who wants to field it.

Or should we bring our own lemon trees?

R

Just some minor details. That track is what makes ORP so special. After this first race season there, i bet we see some of the ammenities next year.

Back