Volunteers Needed - Chump Car

As of 1230 the worker car had climbed up to 18th overall. The weather is dry and crisp and expected to remmain that way to the finish.

BTW, one of the more unique and functional decorations is on the lab rat car. They have a foam tail on the car that doubles as a brake light. The whole length of it lights up when they get on the brakes.

Car 1 just lost his brakes entering turn 7 and stuffed it into the tire wall. Driver OK. He was able to lose some speed due to the mud between the track and the wall. Had a small fire as a result of the impact.

After yet another wall hit, this time just prior to the turn 5 station, we have 28 cars on the track for the restart. This time two cars went off entering 5, both hit the wall. One was able to limb back to the pits. The other needed a wrecker. Both drivers were ok after the manditory visit with the ambulance crew. Ground fog is adding to the Halloween ambiance. No chance for catnaps at this rate.

Just had another BFA. The back straight chicane got nailed again. Since we don't have enough water barrier sections left to make a chicane with, we drained the last few and hauled them away. While we were doing that, there was a car fire in turn 4. All this and thickening fog. And I thought things would get dull after midnight.

I just got home. I'm fighting a bug, so I didn't want to commit to the race. I got there about 8:00. Filled in here and there, went out with Safety a couple of times to do some tire wall repair. My theory is they put a bunch of experienced guys out there in the dark, the speeds seemed to increase, the lines got better, and as a consequence to that they are pushing the limit. The fog really rolled in around 2:00 a.m.

It's a cool race. I hope they come back. Weird having no pace car.

It is 5 AM and the race has been stopped due to heavy fog. A workers meeting is scheduled for 7:30 in hopes of putting cars back on course at 9. Checked flag will fall at 3 PM regardless of what other delays we might have.

My first morning check in - track was empty for a while, but looks like maybe they just did a restart? (at 8:25 a.m.?)

I think I counted 31 cars behind a ... pace truck, maybe?

Darn hard to figure out what's going on, so thanks for all your updates Robby!

When were they able to restart after the fog?

Racing resumed at 8 AM thanks to the fog lifting jut enough. Getting everyone back in position was a touch chaotic, but we managed. The line at the exit of turn 7 has lots of mud, but the tires walls are all servicable and the water barrier chicane is gone. No one misses that last. 7 hours to go assuming they don't change the stated end time of 3 PM.

7 more hours??? Good lord, that makes me wanna go back to bed.

Good on ya'll for hanging in there ... way beyond me these days.

One of the things that made last night special was listening to two families of cayotes singing to each other. One family was in the infield by the slough. The other family was over near the golf course and turn 7. Mixed with the fog, the near full moon and Halloween, it was memorable.

Wow, just took my 1st look of the day.

LOTS more tire marks in the grass and it looks like there are plenty of cars on the track. What's causing the "offs" on the inside of 12? Sorta different. Amazing $500 cars and Miata's :D

I forgot about the possible fog problem at Portland but tell me, Rob. Do they stop Le Mans because of fog? :confused: Nahhhh.. But I understand, they halt 24 Hours of LeMons at T-hill if it's foggy.

Chump-car should use Live Timing and Scoring on line. Between that and the camera it would be like televised event :cool:

Live timing & scoring

Wow, just took my 1st look of the day.

LOTS more tire marks in the grass and it looks like there are plenty of cars on the track. What's causing the "offs" on the inside of 12? Sorta different. Amazing $500 cars and Miata's :D

I forgot about the possible fog problem at Portland but tell me, Rob. Do they stop Le Mans because of fog? :confused: Nahhhh.. But I understand, they halt 24 Hours of LeMons at T-hill if it's foggy.

Chump-car should use Live Timing and Scoring on line. Between that and the camera it would be like televised event :cool:

You might email that suggestion to Chump Car on their web site. The scoring is available onsite via the usual wireless network, but having it on the internet would be a nice touch. They have been getting coverage from the local stations. They even had a media car in the race that took media types out as passegers during the race at times. For a first event and the first 24 hour race at PIR, this hasn't been bad and could certainly been far worse.
Turn 8 just had a major oops. Someone bumped the red light switch, causing cars to stop on course. Oops. Quickly corrected, but 8 cars were stopped or stopping before they realized the problem, You've heard of butt dialing? This was butt lighting.

Oh yeah, at the last update, the worker car was running 15th. The kids that worked on fixing that thing up should be proud.

BTW, for those inquiring minds, Turn 8 is manned by Brass, Bunky and a newbie. I don't know who did the butt red flagging.

Man, never heard of an unintentional Red Flag! That could have been real chaos.

I have worked with a fellow who White Flagged the 1st lap of a practice session and forgot to switch. Then used the White in place of the Blue... Duhhh. But it only lasted the next lap before I 'suggested' he change.

No, he wasn't a 'new guy'.

The double yellow that we are finishing up just now was caused when car 55 stuffed it in turn 12. Safety pulled him out of the tires and he was ablr to proceed under his own power. Tire wall had to be fixed, then back to racing.

Has anyone else lost the live feed?

I tried a computer re-start but can't get it to come up. It just cycles around when I hit the "play" arrow.

Darn! I was enjoying have the Nascar race on live while I'm doing my chores and being able to sit down now and then and check the Portland race ...

Bonnie,

NOTE the comment above the viewing box. Web site is at MAX allowed viewers. Keep hittng "REFRESH" the page until you get cycled in.

LOL... lots of watchers as the checker approach's.

Back