Volunteers Needed - Chump Car

And they're off! Looks like about 33 cars.

What fun to be able to watch at least part of the track! Somone just needs to climb up there and speak into the microphone to give us a play by play.

Off to handle Saturday chores ... will check back in on the action later.

40 cars took the green flag in the Chump Car 24 hour Enduro at PIR. What a hoot! Most of them are decorated with some wild themes. One is a shark with fins and all. There is a faux Woody complete with surf board. There is a Chia bull complete with horns. There is one that is decorated like a cake with a girl poping out of the roof. Lots of fun. If you can make part of the show, don't hesitate.

Delay of the start

Anyone know what's happening? 12:20 p.m. and no cars - was supposed to start at 12:00. I THINK the camera is live? I can hear voices now and then and see traffic coming in and out of the track ... just nothing ON the track.

I gotta go out soon but I'd sure like to see the first few laps!!!

Looks like the camera is mounted on top of the Rose Cup tower ...

The start was delayed by the late arrival of the fuel truck and to give the teams time to get their gas and put it in the cars. start was around 12:30.

We had a black flag all to make temporary repairs to the chicane on the back straight. A car clipped one of the water filled barriers, splitting it open and knocking it out of the way. Dinner break will be at 6 PM when we ill fix it better.

We have had to tow several cars, but surprisingly, there has been no significant contact in spite of the WIDE span of driving experience on the track. Oh and for my Canadian friends, there is one car with a wing that is supported by hockey sticks.

We have had to tow several cars, but surprisingly, there has been no significant contact in spite of the WIDE span of driving experience on the track. Oh and for my Canadian friends, there is one car with a wing that is supported by hockey sticks.

gotta do something with the sticks when they break!

Dinner break over

The dinner break is just about over. Racing resumes at 8:15. We stopped for dinner early due to a car destroying three of the water barriers on the back straight. That ended up costing that team $750 for the barriers and a two hour penalty. We are running out of barriers. If we lose three more, they will probably pull the chicane out. Now the dark racing begins.

8:32 now and the T-12 cam shows them running in 2 large packs.

Looks like some of them guys bolted 100,000 watt spot lights on their noses!! :cool:

The 82 car of Autosports Lab Rats stuffed his car into the tires exit of turn 5. We checked the car out in the dark and thought it needed a wrecker, but once the wrecker arrived on scene, we were able to strap bits and pieces up and he followedthe wrecker in to the pit. Now headlights left after crushing the nose into the tirewall.

How many cars are still running Robby? How was Gail's chili? Is the worker car still running? Who are the drivers? How many workers per corner? Has there been much rain? It's SOOOO cool being able to watch this online ... even saw a spin a few minutes ago!

Uh oh ... where is everybody? I go to get a snack and come back to an empty track! Tell PIR I LOVE this camera, but we need an announcer ... or at least a tickertape at the bottom ...

Hey, what if someone from Turn 12 could go down the track a ways and give us some hand signals?

Heh ...

Hmmm... 10:30 and I just saw a VAN pull on to the track with NO emergancy lights. What's going on?

Looked like he had a good gap, press van??

How many cars are still running Robby? How was Gail's chili? Is the worker car still running? Who are the drivers? How many workers per corner? Has there been much rain? It's SOOOO cool being able to watch this online ... even saw a spin a few minutes ago!

I know Erin Ebbelmesser, Kim McFarland, Russ, and possibly Scott Haun were going to be driving the car, that was as of the enduro though.

Bonnie,

Bob Williams and Scott Arthur put a team together as well. I'm not sure who all is driving with them.

Cars are running on track now.

Last edited:
1030 Red Flag

The 1030 Red Flag was caused by another car hitting the water barrier chicane on the back straight. One more section destroyed. The other section may be alright, but had so little water in it the we finished draining it and removed it. the last spare barrier is in place. Another wall hit there and we will have to remove that chicane. The thing is poorly located, being down track from the turn 9 station,making it difficult to tell who hit the wall this time.
The turns are only using lights at this time. Turn 12 and turn 1 are not flagging even thought they are under the drag strip lights. Chump car didn't want to confuse the drivers with flags in some places and lights in others. the turns are running out of people now that it is getting late. Just what we feared and it isn't even midnight yet. Some folks are planning to ironman it and work stright through. Dan Wilkins said that he has two stations that won't have anyone in the morning. Wish use luck on that.
The worker car was in 24th position at the dinner break and is going strong. Some of the more experienced driver on the team got in this evening. If it continues to hold together, I expect a minimum of a top 20 by morning, possibly in that top 15. We shall see. Some of these drivers are having fun in the spirit of the event. There are a few who have too much compettitive juices flowing, but the Chump car guys are taking them down a peg or two. Sleep tight folks. I'll probably be on duty most of the night with the exception of some cat naps.

The last count I took, there was still around 30 cars circulating. Don't know how many are being worked on in the pits nor how many have officially withdrawn. I only heard on one car being done. I'm manning Safety 2 and am sitting out at turn 8. Glad there is a near full moon tonight lighting up the high thin clouds. It is supposed to be down into the low 40s F tonight. I've got the trailer here, so hot foot and a place indoors if we need it. Ross Rooster Thornton is in the back of the truck.

Darn, I wish I were down there instead of up here :cool: Sounds like great sport being had by all.

See a couple of cars leaving the track right now on the camera. Hope it isn't workers :(

Have fun Rob and thanks so much for the updates. Keep-um coming.

Back