Volunteers Needed - Chump Car

kuzmc

Hi Everyone~ First I want to thank all those who read about and contributed to the Worker's Revenge Chump Car project. It means a lot that drivers will help back us workers in our entry for the event. We're under a tight deadline, but it looks like our project will make it in by the skin of our teeth.

This email is actually a plea to see if we can get some of you to come down to Portland to work turns Saturday October 31 and/or November 1. I know, I know.... it's not driving... BUT we desperately need help with volunteers for the turns.

As Robbie Jacobson put it on pdxracer this morning:
"This is an 'all-hands' situation. At other 24 hour events, there would be three shifts of workers. Each shift would work its 8 hours and then be done. Right now it is looking like there will be only one shift of workers trying to pull this off. If you can only help on Saturday or on Sunday, great. If you're a night owl and want to work the wee hours, great. Dan Wilkins, the chief of flags for Cascade, can use everyone who is willing. Please contact him in advance so he will know that you are coming and can make plans for staffing the turns. The last I heard was that there were around 35 cars entered, ten more than for the 12 hour we just completed. Most stations have space for a trailer or motorhome near the station so that folks can get some sleep. The Chump Car folks are supposedly bringing a light system for the 'dark' corners (yellow lights and such) for flag conditions and that it will only take one person to run them. In my opinion, a second person is required to help keep the guy with the button awake. At any rate, if you can make it for even part of the show, contact Dan at djw212@hotmail.com "

So if you can make it down for all or part of the October 31 through November 1 event at Portland International Raceway, we could greatly GREATLY appreciate it. The event is 10 days away, so we can and will use everyone!!!!

If you'd like to learn more about Chump Car, please visit this link:
http://www.chumpcar.com/event_pdfs/P...al Rules.pdf

Thank you all for your consideration. ~Kim

Karen, you would have to ask someone with the Chump Car organization.
SCCA is one age, ICSCC is another, NASA another, and the list goes on.
If you can get ahold of Gary Bockman he might be able to find out the info for you.
Or Ken Killam is another good source.

Minimum age for flagging

Ya, I'm not sure the minimum age for flagging. Chatting with Gary Bockman would be best.

From Chump Car Series Basic Competition Rules:

"2.2.4. Any individual 16 years of age or older may be a crew member; however, “Hot Pit” access may be restricted to those under 18 at certain events."

This is the only mention in the rule set that I found. A 'Hot' area "may be" interpreted as anything beyond positive protection to the racing surface too. Places like T4, T6, T8, T9, T11, may easily be considered safe enough for minor participants. Especially, if those minor participants were accompanied by their parent(s), or guardian(s).

In the mean time, we hope to allow as many motorsports enthusiasts out to sample the fun on stations around the track as we can. If even for a couple of hours, or longer with rotation to other of our track habitats.

Registration will be at the Front Gate. Tentative times are 3pm-8pm Friday and 7am-11pm Saturday.

One idea is to use the Goodyear Tower (South Paddock) as a kind of "Worker Central". I'm sure that if somebody wanted to come out and relieve some workers for a period of time that they could sign in at the Rose Cup Room on Sunday morning too, and we could get them assigned someplace.

Less than a week to go. Don't miss out on this by staying home. The next race around here is more than FIVE months away.

I've just heard from Dan Wilkins that he has a total of 11 workers for the turns at Chump Car. Some of those are for a few hours only. It is great that they can help, but we are talking about over 24 hours here. Anyone who has worked rotating shifts at a job will understand that being alert and ready for action for 24 hours is unlikely to happen. We need help folks. Any amount of time is a great help. Please contact Dan if you can come out for any part of this event. Lots of folks have commented over the last few months that this event sounded like fun and I'm sure it will be, but it takes lots of people to man the stations throughout the night. See you there.

Saturday @ 10AM. Behind the North Paddock tower. Registration should be at the front gate. Crossing @ S/F.

If any of that changes (it shouldn't), either Rob, or I will try to update everyone here, and elsewhere.

Thanks, Rich.

Who's our hero?

-----

Ken, why don't you put out an email and maybe on the forum, that there will be hot food, coffee and breakfast in the Rosecup room for the 24 hour CC.
I'll have food, coffee etc. thru the night and then at 6AM I will have hot coffee, hot chocolate, juice, muffins, cereal and etc. for Breakfast.
Maybe we will get a few more workers.
Gail

And she makes a pretty good bowl of chili too.

Plea for Turn Worker Help this weekend‏

Hi Everyone~ I just heard through the rumor mill that we desparately need turn workers for this weekend. Normally that would be the people who are racing the Worker's Revenge Chump Car.... but unfortunately we will be busy working on our team entry/race.

Here's how you can help-- Talk to any drivers you know about coming out and working the turns this weekend. I know... A tall order with the Ducks v. USC game on TV (heck, a huge college game weekend all around)... and know I would not be asking if it wasn't important.

What I heard is that this race may not happen without more turn workers. Ya, your reaction is about the same as mine - WHAT???!!! So we need everyone's help. So far, we have 13 workers to man 6 turns.... that's about 2 people per turn.... for 24 hours. You can see why this is an issue.

So please - please - talk to everyone. I'd hate to see all the hard work every Chump Car team has done be for naught.

Thank You!!!!!

Chump Car Schedule

Friday:
3:00pm – 8:00pm Safety, Tech & Theme Inspection
3:00pm – 8:00pm Driver’s Gear Inspection
3:00pm – 5:00pm Walk-the-Track
5:00pm – 7:00pm Driver’s School

Saturday:
8:00am Gates Open
9:00am – 11:00am Driver’s Gear Inspection
11:00am – 11:30am Drivers Meeting
12:00pm Parade Laps and Start Race
6:00pm Checkered Flag for Halloween Break
6:00pm – 8:00pm Halloween Tour (specific area)
8:00pm Drivers Meeting
8:15pm Race Vehicles to Grid
8:30pm Green Flag: Resume Racing

Sunday:
1:30pm Checker Flag
1:45pm – 2:30pm Awards Ceremony
7:00pm Gates Closed

Word from Gail Fetterman

"Kim, let everyone know that I'll be manning the Rose Cup room and will have hot food and snacks during the evening and I'll have all the fixing for breakfast Sunday morning (i.e., coffee, hot chocolate, juice, muffins, cereal, bananas, etc.) I'm sure during the night we can make some food and hot liquid runs to the turns. -Gail"

Yes, indeed. What Rich said.

Register at the front gate. Come in and stay as long as you like/can. If the race is already in progress, go to the Rose Cup Room and we'll get you set up.

Have a bite while you wait.

There are some truly wacky chump cars. Do not forget your camera.

For those of us who won't be there in person, here's that cool link that "Mikecolangelo" posted with the last enduro ...

http://www.pirlive.com/

I'll try to be at my computer screen at noon today!!!

Good luck to all the participants, trackside and on track ... stay safe!

Last edited:
Anyone know what's happening? 12:20 p.m. and no cars - was supposed to start at 12:00. I THINK the camera is live? I can hear voices now and then and see traffic coming in and out of the track ... just nothing ON the track.

I gotta go out soon but I'd sure like to see the first few laps!!!

Looks like the camera is mounted on top of the Rose Cup tower ...

Back