Triple Race Weekend at SCR

Leslie and I left ORP on Sunday afternoon to visit Spokane County Raceways and Northwest Motorsport on the Monday and review the track reconfiguration prior to the first ICSCC Triple Race Weekend on July 15, 16 & 17. The track surface has been paved but supporting structure including run-offs and crash barriers is not yet complete due to weather and construction delays. Because of this, the required Track Certification has not been obtained. ICSCC regulations require that the announcement for this race be included in the current memo. Please note that to comply we have assigned a “tentative” designation to this announcement. The ICSCC insurance carrier requires all new race tracks and track revisions to be certified before use. NWMS and the SCR contractor are working hard to achieve this certification before the ICSCC P&P mandated date of June 15 when race insurance must be in place. A mailing to all ICSCC registered members will be mailed on June 16th confirming the status of this important event.

Kevin Skinner
President ICSCC 2011

The ICSCC insurance carrier requires all new race tracks and track revisions to be certified before use.

Kevin Skinner
President ICSCC 2011

Hi Kevin,
Can you direct me to the above section in the 2011 ICSCC Competition regulations ? I was unable to find it on my own.

I am not a member of NWMS but I am involved with the local motorsports community and have worked hard to keep Spokane Raceway Park as our home track. I am concerned with your comment above as I was planning on using ICSCC Novice program to obtain my competition license . Doing so would mean I would like to use my home track for the two maximum novice races.

I did work last weekends SOVREN races and I am aware of what is needed prior to the July race. Crash barriers at any multi use tracks can and often are mobile . The only thing that isn't on site at this time is the tire barriers.

Thanks,
Mike

Who gets to write the certificate for this one? When the circuit qualifies for an ASN's sanction will it then be insurable?

The process should be pretty transparent by now, one should think. The new construction at Spokane must have had some certifiable guidelines, as I'm sure the developers at the site near Shelton. Are these documents available for public consumption? Or site specific with the input of certified consultants. What does it take to be a certifed consultant. That sounds like a neat gig.

These questions and more as this new chapter continues.

Hurry up. I would like to buy my plane tickets before the price goes up again.

Last edited:
Mike

ICSCC policy & Proceedures Manual 15.1.2 outlines the requirement of member clubs to have insurance in place 30 days prior to an event. The requirements for having a new facility certified are dictated by our insurance provider as a condition of insurance. ICSCC is very much looking forward to racing on the new facility when completed.
Kevin

I'm interested in what criteria is dictated/mandated in the policy/contract with ICSCC to provide sanction at their events. Is this criteria for the safe construction/configuration of a racing circuit, in regards to the style of motorsports event to be run, documented? Is there a manual, an industry standardized and commonly adopted code? Where is this information available? FIA? NFPA (like the 610 guidelines)?

I'm being sincere. The subject is facsinating. I've been through the APPENDIX O TO THE INTERNATIONAL SPORTING CODE and realize that it is particular to FIA Circuit Commission's acceptance of a new circuit into the FIA events schedules. So is there a particular ASN that will provide whichever insurance carrier/underwriter the guidelines, or specifications? Do they then provide that certificate of acceptance to the insurance provider?

Am I asking too many questions?

gnome-warlock-shop.jpg

I wanna buy my plane tickets!​

Last edited:
Jeez, didn't we hash out this conversation before ORP got certified? We all knew SCR was going to have to go through it again, because of the substantial changes to the track? Do we REALLY need to hash this all out, here, again?

(Hmm, where's that "ignore thread" button?)

Thanks Steve. You're right we did go through this with ORP. The resolution to that, as I have come to understand, was a list of criteria created by a consultant that had the 'ordainment' of SCCA.

And that's the point isn't it? To understand the process? So since education is the first step to understanding any system, I plod on.

I do not believe that we need to simply swallow shadows. The veil of 'it's all part of the policy' is a thin basis for a transparent procedure. Especially a procedure that we will all have another chance to experience whenever a new track presents itself for that same scrutiny.

So, who signed off on ORP's compliance before a certificate of insurance was allowed to be issued through ICSCC? Was it anybody we know?

Does anybody recall how these questions, however 'hashed', were answered?

Now here we are dorking around with the same situation as it gets down to crunch time and again, a sudden 'road course' block is thrown up in the faces of the dedicated folks that have been sweating their arses off to get our racing 'on track'.

Certainly, all respect and credit is due to the diligence of the ICSCC President, and his lovely Leslie, if only as observers with the experienced credibility that may be associated as other race/worker volunteers' reports. Certainly, those legitimate observations should be taken into consideration as should other equally credible, and experienced observers. All taken into account by the 'qualifying' authority. But to that, the question is still to be answered.

Who/what represents that qualifying authority?

Where's the book? Who wrote it? And where's the dude wielding the mighty pen of 'certification' obtained through those qualifications?

Of course, I would enjoy the opportunity to read/study/research the same reference material. Knowledge is power, yes? I may want to consider a change of my current career specialty when I decide to retire from electrical control systems, and begin to think about moving on to build, maintain and troubleshoot other systems.

And please forgive me if any waves lap at the toes of our organization, but I sincerely hope that this process becomes more transparent, and we should ALL be given the opportunity to get a respectably thorough look through it.

transparent14.jpg

Risk management will always be a roll of the dice.

If that's too scary, then ya'll better stay in bed.​

Last edited:
Thanks Steve. You're right we did go through this with ORP. The resolution to that, as I have come to understand, was a list of criteria created by a consultant that had the 'ordainment' of SCCA.....

EXACTLY RIGHT:

ICSCC choose (as it has in the past) to sit back and wait for the SCCA to take care of the 'certification' process.

When I first heard/saw that, it made me curious as to how ICSCC continued to race at Pacific when they lost their SCCA 'cert' in the late 1970's ??? Hmmmm. But they have it back now.

I guess you could ask for Jackie Stewart to come over and have a look at it :) :)

Since much of this exact discussion happened prior to ORP getting certified, my suggestion would be to familiarize yourself with the forum search capabilities. You'll even find a discussion on how Spokane was going to need to get re-certified.

"For me, the greater the odds, the greater the shal-ahnje."

"And as always, I accept the shal-ahnje."--answer at the bottom

So these would be the threads to be refered to, then. From two years ago (Forum search capabilities used: Working backwards from the last page.)

Oregon Raceway- is it a go? Posted 6/9/2009-- First mention of the “punch list” in Memo #4.

ORP Update- Posted 7/12/2009-- Much more conjecture, and assumption. No new facts presented in regards to specifics of the “punch-list”, nor how that list was formulated and with regard to what set of documented standards, other than reference to SCCA. And much posturing to defend the Exec Board from essentially nothing that they had anything to do with. But the dancing, and beating of the drums made people feel like they were contributing to the health and welfare of ICSCC, and that's fun. There’s the usual amount of implied policy or regulations, and with no specifics.

Pet-peeve alert, and I too am guilty of this... but not often.

If you’re going paraphrase some regulation or policy please present some reference #s so people may edify themselves. Or de-bunk the assumptions with those reference points. Documented facts, please not man-u-facts.

Simple example: “Does the E-Board ask us if we would like them to sanction races where a section of track cannot be seen by any turn crew? Nope, it clearly states that is not allowed in the P&P.”

Whether this last part is a true statement or not, out of respect for the reader(s), be courteous enough to make an attempt at referencing the section that you are referring to. Otherwise, it may certainly be considered so much more of the smoke and mirrors of false credibility.

Oct 10/11 Championship Raceweekend Posted 7/22/2009—The final blow (off) for 2009. “ICSCC Headquarters has run out of time and must regrettably remove race #13, the Oct 10/11 Oregon Raceway Park hosted by Team Continental, from the 2009 Championship. In spite of Herculean efforts by T.C. and the full support of the e-board, the owners and managers of O.R.P. have been unable to complete the necessary track certification. Our insurance carrier will not insure an event staged on a new racetrack until that venue has received certification for racing by a recognized sanctioning body (i.e. F.I.A., S.C.C.A. or A.S.N.) This is not a new policy and has been in effect for a number of years. Headquarters is obligated to abide by ICSCC Competition rules #206, #207 and Policy and Procedures #15.2.1. These rules prohibit ICSCC from scheduling, sanctioning or conducting an event without having insurance in place, insurance that we are unable to purchase for O.R.P. until certification requirements are completed.” (there’s more, but that’s the essence)

Good references to policy. So I might understand this to say that, if those sanctions would provide insurance to race on a given circuit, then ICSCC’s insurance provider (same one?) will allow a certificate of insurance to be issued, and ICSCC may then race on it too.
So is the ICSCC’s insurance carrier (this year) using FIA’s Appendix “O” in Spokane’s situation? Or SCCA’s? And what other ASNs would be considered in authority regarding the qualifications necessary for the issuance of an insurance provider’s policy?

ORP receives certification Posted 11/16/2009 Jonathan sez: “Oregon Raceway Park received its SCCA certification and is now sanctioned to hold competition racing events."

Later Steve Adams sez: “Actually, it turns out there's no such thing as an "SCCA certification." It has, however, been approved for SCCA-sanctioned events... which amounts to the same thing as far as ICSCC is concerned.”

And pretty much everybody else sez: "Yay! Finally! Let’s go racing!" Or something to that affect

So again, thanks Steve. We still don’t know exactly what specific standard that the insurance carrier’s policy mandates for insurability. Only to say that, if any other recognized race sanctioning body other than ICSCC will provide sanction insurance for racing, then there are no reasons left to deny ICSCC insurability too.

Of course, the body of the ICSCC Executive Board may realize any reasons through their own devices. But that's just crazy talk.

Also, I’m happy that my rants regarding the term, “certification” were qualified. Unless the term is used in reference to the insurance certificate that must be issued (and usually must be presented to the facility operators per usage agreement).

I’d like to think that Appendix “O” is the particular standard guideline for ASN, which is to say SCCA. Because that document is easily available, and I’m still trying to find any specific documentation that SCCA uses to define proper construction and configuration for a racing circuit’s acceptance for sanction.

Still that niggling question remains. Is the local Stewardship of NWRSCCA in the drivers’ seat to qualify this newly configured Spokane Co. Raceway Park road coarse circuit, or was NWMS also forced to hire a representative from FIA/SCCA/ASN to consult, and issue a punch-list to be completed by June 15th. It's a true shame that the track development fund, or whatever it was called, disappeared a couple years back. That sure might have helped events like these along.

Not surprisingly, I have another question.

Who, whom, or what is NWMS really waiting for?

peter_sellers_inspector_clouseau_pi3.jpg

Last edited:
I've already registered for the event and suggest anyone even remotely considering attending to do the same. It costs you NOTHING to register, but the more registrations that come in, I suspect will help move everything along with a bit more enthusiasm...not that I've seen a lack thereof, mind you.

I'm concerned that this thread is even up here, casting doubt into the winds of Conference. Seems almost damaging to NWMS and their efforts to host a rather big event. It would appear that issues are being addressed and improved...as is being discussed in a seperate thread on this forum.

Having been to a few races now, at a few different tracks, and watching all of our fellow clubs work very hard to host successful racing events, I have complete and full confidence that NWMS will do what is necessary to get the track in order in time for the scheduled event. As such, the Spokane Triple remains squarely on my racing calendar and my registration has been submitted. I suggest y'all do the same.

mikeolsen said:
I've already registered for the event and suggest anyone even remotely considering attending to do the same.
Hell, I was the second person registered (after Randy, of course, who apparently likes to register much as he gets to pre-grid).

Ken: Now that's the kind of post I was hoping for, rather than what just sounded like random sh*t-stirring. Thanks.

It is a given that racing is dangerous. We have insurance to minimize our participants exposure to extreme danger. Without that insurance the organization could not afford to put on races due to the liability exposure to lawsuits. In order to get insurance for a NEW/REVISED track an organization must have an organization/person come in and do an inspection and point out those things that need to be done to minimize the risk exposure. Currently SCCA does not do that, the service is sub-contacted out to qualified individuals. It is the track owner's responsibility to insure the certification process is completed so that our insurance carrier will insure our event. I can only guess that the reason organizations are reluctant to do certifications has to do with the huge liability involved when some one is injured and chooses to sue and claim that the course was designed wrong and/or proper tire barriers, walls or what ever were not in place to keep participant from injury. It is a sure bet that the certification person carries a huge umbrella policy to cover his liability exposure. Of course we all think that we are graduating more attorney's than anything else these days so the possibility of a lawsuit/huge damages without a certification is assured. The certification issue has reared its ugly head only in the last probably 5 years(?) as we have become a more litigious society and insurance companies attempt to safe guard against lawsuits/keep their premiums. If a racing organization/track wants to commit economic suicide it is an easy path to follow.

That said, I am really looking forward to racing at Spokane. I hope and pray they get their course corrections completed, whatever they are, a certification is issued and insurance is in place so we can race. I can't begin to tell you how much fun it has been to race at Spokane over the years and to have a 3 race event is incredible.

The individual who did the certification for ORP was Bob Barnard. I am told that there is another individual in Issaquah that has worked with Ridge on there certification process.

" It is the track owner's responsibility to insure the certification process is completed so that our insurance carrier will insure our event."

NWMS doesn't own the track. For what it's worth it is pretty much out of their hands. TC's hand were tied too. Neither club was or is willing to put any of us at risk.

We ALL want another rock 'n weekend with NWMS.

Put this thread to bed until we know what is announced.

My $.0250

I didn't start the thread, Steve. I am genuinely interested in the process to build a race track to sanctionable qualifications. You made the suggestion to research the past. Was that a simple re-direct? Well there's my follow up. I won't apologize for my attempts to bring some clarity into the system. I'm not satisfied with the repression of reasoning.

And what have I stirred, really. An interest in how our systematic approach to the expansion of our sport affects the clubs that make up the whole of Conference, or the organization of the administration of those processes? I guess the sh** may well be in the eye of the beholder.

I have had it on my schedule for a very long time. I owe Doug Smith for his help, and when I finally get the opportunity to pay him something back, this thread throws a shadow of doubt and the flame of curiousity is rekindled. Too many questions? Sure. But not enough answers, and I see a trend in regards to this second event in so many years that we find the same insurability situation at another venue. Like the man said. It can't be fixed if no body knows it's broke.

Mr. Boggs has been the most informative. Answering some of those questions. And be sure, that my point is not whether a racing circuit must conform to a set of safety standards in construction and configuration. But more toward who's standards they are, how they are implemented, and through what prescribed procedures. I can appreciate your posting.

Lynn, it really has little to do with the clubs' hands being tied, and more to do a process that might otherwise hold and help them through the system so that they may be more effectively proactive with the venue that would be making a potentially (usually) large capital investment to meet those requirements.

Last edited:
If we can't get a track recertified over nothing more than a reconfiguration of a few corners then we are rapidly advancing to the level of Federal incompetency - and that really scares me personally.

If we can't get a track recertified over nothing more than a reconfiguration of a few corners then we are rapidly advancing to the level of Federal incompetency - and that really scares me personally.

I'll probably regret asking this but what does this have to do with "Federal incompetency"?

Back