Kart enduro rules!! Must read!!!

Agreed then, one and all? Regardless of ownership, the neck brace does not go on until seated in the cart?

Seems fair to me.

As an aside, we have spent some time on strategy, and here is another wrinkle. Instead of making pit stops mandatory on the quarter and half hour, perhaps we make them mandatory on the half hour only, with changes occuring within the half hour if desired.

Thus, if one member wants to do a 20 minute stint, and another is looking for 10 to clear up their seat time, then at the half hour the driver changes again, goal has been met.

Put differently, the track management is only able to track on the half hour, and therefore a change is MANDATORY on the half hour, any other within that block of time is up to team management. The team manager would then throw the pit board when they see fit within the half hour (if they so wanted) and not have to deal with a crowded pit lane.

Understand, if someone does a 25 minute stint and the team manager calls them in, the next driver gets 5 minutes only. If they blow by the half hour pit mark, then they get the sputter button for a full lap, negating any advantage they think they might have.

At that rate, you could rotate your driver roster every hour if you so chose.

And if anyone makes this whole race with out a sputter button penalty, I will ____________ (fill in the blank) :D:D

RP

Rod, I do not really like the way the timing for the mandatory pit stop is going.

"Understand, if someone does a 25 minute stint and the team manager calls them in, the next driver gets 5 minutes only. If they blow by the half hour pit mark, then they get the sputter button for a full lap, negating any advantage they think they might have."

That will make managing the times for each driver complex and may be unfair to some. Can we not mandate that the change has to be made at or before the 1/2 hour? What is the reasoning for the change on the 1/2 hour? I know you said the staff can only track on the 1/2 hour. Is there a reporting requirement that can be put on the team captain to notify the staff when a change occurs - much like we do during Cascades Enduro??

Keep it simple...

Here is the original rule outlined in the first post:

"A mandatory driver’s change will occur at the ½ hour and on the hour. Optional driver’s changes will be allowed at the quarter hours. Driver’s changes will be indicated by waving the White Flag."

To me, this implied that at, or around each half-hour, a white-flag starts waving and the entire field is in a pit window. Since we can't have 10 karts pitting at the same time, a grace period (e.g. 10-minutes) would be required to allow all karts to pit. After this time-period, then the black-flag, stutter-button, etc. starts coming out for karts that have not pitted. This method could become unfair if any single kart has an issue in the pits (e.g. mechanical, etc.), causing a hold-up. It sounds like any kart in this situation would be quickly moved out of the way, so this problem may prove to be more academic than real.

Another practical alternative is to simply count the number of pit-stops taken by a team. Each team needs to take AT LEAST 9 pit-stops (exclusive of the two fuel stops). If you want to switch drivers every 15-minutes, have at it. If traffic in the pit-lane necessitates a 40-minute stint, so be it. In the end, all the officials have to do is count the number of pit-stops. Then, simply determine an appropriate penalty for each skipped pit-stop (e.g. 5-laps; 10-laps, etc.) at the end of the race.

-Bruce

Final Ruling on Drivers Changes

Gentlemen,

After much consideration, (actually, sleep loss and ulcer aggrevation), I have reached a final decision regarding drivers changes:

There will be no mandatory drivers changes. Drivers changes, and when they occur, will be the pervue of the individual team captains. This now becomes a strategic decision that each team will decide for themselves. Team captains will be provided a "pit board" with their team number on it. When the team captain has determined that it is time for a drivers change, they will move to the edge of the track and display the pit board. When their team member passes the pit board they (the driver) will make one more lap around the track prior to entering the pit. The rules of entering the pit remain the same: no more then one kart in each pit at a time. Crossing the yellow line, or entering a pit lane that is occupied will result in a 15 second penalty on the rev limiter - applied to the new driver once the kart clears the chicane.

Regarding neck braces. At this point in time I really don't care how you ultimately decide to manage the neck braces. All I care about is that every driver have a neck brace properly applied and secured prior to leaving the pit area. We have approximately 20 neck braces.

Lastly, regarding payment: Each team captain needs to collect from the members of thier respective team. That money needs to be given to Rod, who will combine it all before giving it to me. I will not try to track who has or has not paid.

I look forward to hosting your mid-winter racing fix! I especially look forward to racing with those of you who make it to the friday night pre-race. My one overriding hope is that at the end of the day each of you has a complete blast!

Walker

Thanks Walker.

I want to be clear that this rule change was the result of a request that I made to Walker. Things were getting way too complicated, and the responsibility for everyone's fun was falling in the wrong place, so I asked him to consult with his business partners about this format. I'm not saying this as a cheesy attempt to take credit for a great decision, rather, if you don't care for the rule, blame me, not Walker.

In my opinion, what we have now is complete control of our own race strategy and fun. If this means running short or long stints, being ultra serious and racing for the win, or maybe just taking a more casual approach and concentrating on having fun first and probably have an even better chance of a win, it's all up to us.

What we also have, is an extraordinary level of trust being extended on my confident assurance that we will conduct ourselves as the ICSCC professionals and responsible guests that we are.

The karts will still need to be refueled approximately every two hours, when the full field will be brought under the sputter button simultaneously, freezing everyone's position. This will be the one recurring scheduled stop item, so work that into your driver rotation as you will.

I don't know about you, but I can hardly wait!

Last edited:
Gentlemen,

There will be no mandatory drivers changes. Drivers changes, and when they occur, will be the pervue of the individual team captains. This now becomes a strategic decision that each team will decide for themselves. Team captains will be provided a "pit board" with their team number on it. When the team captain has determined that it is time for a drivers change, they will move to the edge of the track and display the pit board. When their team member passes the pit board they (the driver) will make one more lap around the track prior to entering the pit. The rules of entering the pit remain the same: no more then one kart in each pit at a time. Crossing the yellow line, or entering a pit lane that is occupied will result in a 15 second penalty on the rev limiter - applied to the new driver once the kart clears the chicane.

Walker

This is good news.
This is a much better way to handle the driver changes!

"Thanks Walker, your my hero!"

And thank you for putting up with us;)
Also thank you Randy for putting forwa4rd the change this will be much better and less confusing (both equal more fun) for everyone.

Missed you Saturday Rod, as 83.33% of my Team was there all day long for som'mor exxtra cheating.
We practiced passing to learn the off line skills required.

Great Facility and staff they went out of they're way to let us track walk and practice driver changes. Later in the day they had a large birthday group and everything still ran very smoothly.

Can't wait!:cool:

Awesome. This IS GONNA be fun!!

Thanks for 1) Listening 2) Hearing 3) CARING 4) being flexible 5) well you get the picture. You all are great!!!

One quick question Randy if I may. Walker says "no more than one kart in each pit at a time." I'm not sure I understand exactly what that means. Will there be 10 pits, or will we be sharing with another team?
There can be only two karts in the pit lane at a time I thought, so just curious how to interpret that sentence.

One quick question Randy if I may. Walker says "no more than one kart in each pit at a time." I'm not sure I understand exactly what that means. Will there be 10 pits, or will we be sharing with another team?
There can be only two karts in the pit lane at a time I thought, so just curious how to interpret that sentence.

Not to speak for Randy, but there are two lanes in the pit, so 1 kart per lane at a time or a penalty will result.

Most humble thank-youse, Oly Walker-san!!

Are we the biggest pain in the a$$ you've had yet, or what? Bunch of monkeys if you ask me!

But a bunch of monkeys that takes racing and safety very seriously.

Back