August 2 IRDC special race

I haven't read our insurance contract, and if I did I'm not sure I would be able to understand it until the attorney explained it to me.

Do we need a special coverage for Lotus Sevens to run in Group 1 or 5? Is this a purpose built tube frame car with molded resin fenders?

Legends just like the Lotus Seven is not an open "Sports racer". They both have a cage above their heads, which is unlike a SR-type car.

The weight difference is aprox 1000 lbs. 2300 for a CSM and 1300 for a legend. Which AGAIN is less than the difference between a Lotus Seven and a most of the other cars in group 1 & 5.

I can't comment on hitting a Legend in the braking zone in 3A, except there are penalties for avoidable contact.

PS remember it was to be a split start, and unlikely there will be much overlap at the end of the race.

I could review all the comments since the question of running Miata's with Legends came up and it would serve absolutely no meaningful function. So I won't.

What I will say is, it's been my experience that ICSCC rules are written by people who know what they are doing and anything put in to the book has solid reasoning behind it. Obviously what's needed is to find the personel who remember the logic behind that paragraph and its purpose.

Sports Racers DO run with 'production based' cars in several forms of road racing. But ICSCC must have seen a problem of one sort or another and decided to 'solve it'. Give the powers that be time to sort it out. All is well that ends well.

As one who has been "on top" of both a sports racer and a caterham, I know from first hand experience what it is like. In both instances the other driver survived without any injury. Just lucky in my opinion. If it can happen on the race track , it will. I have raced along side sports racers and it can be very hard to know where they are when they are below your window. Be carefull out there.

Special Race

I just learned that the Miata's won't be running "the special race" with the Legends.

PS. Racing with the Legends last weekend at Sears Point must of been just too scary.:p

I am just reading this for the first time as we just got back into town.

Just as a side note the Legends group had no say in this decision. To speak for myself personally I told the member of the E-Board that called, there was no reason not to run us at the same time as we run with other classes every where we go. "Not that we don't get scared sometimes"

In addition common sense about the S/R verses Production in the vague term I feel would be a performance issue more than anything, say a Miata with a tube chasis versis the same production competing for the same points.

Gordon I couldn't agree more however in this instance our cars measure 45" to 47" in height so visability is usually not a concern...

That's all from me I just don't want any rumor's on or about what we have or haven't said. We as a group are out here to have fun.... That's all..

Thank you for your time..

Any Questions Please call
Keith Van Dyne
360-518-3176

Last edited:
As one who has been "on top" of both a sports racer and a caterham, I know from first hand experience what it is like. In both instances the other driver survived without any injury. Just lucky in my opinion. If it can happen on the race track , it will. I have raced along side sports racers and it can be very hard to know where they are when they are below your window. Be carefull out there.

Driving all over them is just a figure of speech Gordon, not a recommended drving technique....:D

To allay all the speculation and hyperbole this is what we know: IRDC applied for a waiver for the special race and was denied by the E-Board. So we are running a Legends only special race. Which is just ducky because Norm and company got it sanctioned as a National Qualifier for the Legend group. This means maybe 20+ of the little guys running *****out for national points which is going to make one exciting race and a real hoot to watch. As for mixing groups in the future we would indeed need a rules change.

Kerry McMurtrey
IRDC BOD

Kerry, Thank you for your input. I know we will do all we can to make a good showing.

Where do I sign up for the rule change that would give the board the power to consider different mixes pertaining to "Special Races"

Thanks..

Just out of curiousity, don't sports racers run in the Enduro races that IRDC and CSCC put on? Do those run under their own rules and just use the ICSCC stewards to enforce the rules or do the ICSCC CRs apply too?

And here i thought about racing this weekend, In these tough $$$$$ times you would think they would want the car count which equals $$$$$$.

Guess we could police every car that attempts to run in XYZ race group and say Oh Sorry your car is not a production based car therfore you can not race.
I have plenty of time on my hands now days.

Wonder if that would open some eyes.

Yes im a Miata Driver and would love to run with ANY car / group ( learning new race craft ) and was looking forward to the run with Legends cars not that we would even see them.

As racer and a Legends driver I am just crushed to see the Miata's losing out on the chance to run in a special race. The ICSCC and all affiliated clubs have welcomed us Legends drivers with open arms from the start and we have tried to provide outstanding entertainment at every race. (even when we forget it's just qualifying) We will continue to put on great races and we encourage anyone interested in driving one of our cars in August to get a hold of either myself or Keith Van Dyne. We have teams putting together some extra rental cars that will be competetive for the races! Come run with us and see what the "Legends Smile" is all about!

Guys, ease up on your hard working volunteers.

If IRDC was going for the money, they would have tagged PRO-3 again and would have got at least 30 cars entered. cha ching.

So tip of the hat that they are spreading the opportunity around.

Last year Miata got to run this special race in August and only brought 8 cars to the Saturday race. Was it going to be much different this year?

As racer and a Legends driver I am just crushed to see the Miata's losing out on the chance to run in a special race.

Come run with us and see what the "Legends Smile" is all about!

Norm,

Don't be so hard on yourself.

The Legends put "smiles" on our faces just watching you run. As a crew person and flagger I get a kick out of seeing you guys on track. It is a great show and it's great to see you in 'the club'! :D

No matter how 'special races' are run, not all can participate. It's YOUR TIME so enjoy with a happy heart! :cool:

As racer and a Legends driver I am just crushed to see the Miata's losing out on the chance to run in a special race. The ICSCC and all affiliated clubs have welcomed us Legends drivers with open arms from the start and we have tried to provide outstanding entertainment at every race. (even when we forget it's just qualifying) We will continue to put on great races and we encourage anyone interested in driving one of our cars in August to get a hold of either myself or Keith Van Dyne. We have teams putting together some extra rental cars that will be competetive for the races! Come run with us and see what the "Legends Smile" is all about!

No worries, Norm. My Miata can use a break.

I look forward to watching you guys race around Pacific!

Thanks to all for your support. Norm, myself, and all the Legends racers feel the same way. We will continue to lobby as many cars as we can the last thing that we (legends) want is dissention within Conference, we want group 6 to continue to grow and we want Conference to continue to grow.

Norm and I talked with a Conference member just the other day about rental options.

I am currently working on the #95 car(the black sedan usually Driven by Joe "Joeseppi" Martin) and would like to give a Miata Driver first right of refusal for this event.

Cheers, KVD
P.S. My Hat's off to Richard, Norm and the ICSCC Board. I'm sure this has spured many future discussions...... Never give up, Never Surrender.......

Last edited:
Keith, as for the possibility of dissention within Conference, for every bad there is a good.

It is subjects like this that make people think and bring about positive changes.

Sometimes the saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it" gets applied to some rules. That doesn't mean that a bit of maintenance isn't required.

And on a lighter note, watching 6 Legends compete is awesome never mind the grid that will be off and racing in August. You were very correct when you said "Never give up, Never Surrender". Man, when you guys race, you take no prisoners.

It's gonna be a great weekend and I hope the Legend drivers that have never experienced Conference, will go away with a smile on their faces.

Are any of you going to be racing in Spokane??

Lynn, Thank you very much.

Mike that is an awesome question let me get with norm and see if we can get a couple there.

Oh, hell yeah. I'll be there lapping, too, and I'm startin' to drool at the prospect of a few laps in a Legends car. Or at least getting up close and personal with one.

Will there be a Legends rental at the IRDC lapping day on July26?

Mike,

Don't do it man. I'm telling you, don't do it. If you go there you won't want to come back. You've been warned. You've all been warned. ;) Jim

Hey, Keith and Norm. Over here. No, over here. How's that for psychological trichery. ;) ;)

Seriously. Do you know if any of the local regular oval racers will be in attendance?

Ken, I vaguely remember something like that, couldn't run with windshield wipers

That was back just before the rule in question was pasted. Long time ago, year beats me, tell me what year it was. Seems like early 90's, maybe before?

Back