August 2 IRDC special race

OK - here we go!

With thanks to some innovative thinking by the membership and great help from Norm Smith we will be presenting a Special Race Group that is a National Qualifier for the Legends! If I understand correctly, there are four regional qualifiers located in the NW, SW, NE, and SE respectively. The NW round was scheduled to be held at Miller Motorsports park but after some negotiation by Norm with their National office he was able to get that qualifier moved to Pacific. In addition to the local Legends guys that we know and love, there should be some draw from California, Nevada, and even Utah. Since the Legends guys typically go at it hammer and tongs every minute they are on the track regardless of whether it is qualifying or race, it should be an entertaining race for everyone to watch at the end of Saturdays race schedule.

Not to be forgotten is a split start with ........ Miatas! Calling all Spec and Club Spec Miatas, take a split start of your own in the special race group. Finally! An opportunity to be on track with an entire group of cars that are smaller than yours!!!

I'm even considering an "exacta" trophy. Maybe each Legend draws the number of a participating Miata from a hat and the points from each car combine for a "team" finish? Maybe I will even do a 50/50 in the stands! Make your "exacta" pick and winners split 50% of the pot with the rest going to the worker fund. I'll provide some nice trophies made from surplus parts found at thrift stores - what could be cooler than a race trophy with a woman bowler on the top?

Anyway - what do you think of the Special Race Group?? (Nomex on - prepared for scorching)

P.S. - Many thanks to the Pro-3 group who put in a strong bid for the race, but were extremely gracious about sharing to allow a showcase for another fun and growing group. They are always well organized and strong contributors to our races, our volunteers, and the fun of the week-end. I can say they are truly committed to growing our sport both within their group AND Conference as a whole. Thanks guys, you are a class act.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great race Rick, and thanks to you and the club board for working this out. 15 or 20 Legends nose to tail will definitely be a gas to watch, and a gaggle of Miatas can only add to the spectacle!
With any luck the Legends not familiar with road racing will be hooked by the end of the event.

Holy carp! That race will be a real hoot to watch! I'm all giddy just thinking about it!!

Nice job IRDC for some creative thinking on a special race group to help encourage growing classes within Conference. Can you imagine? 15 - 20 Legends cars at each race? How much of a kick would that be!

I'm already looking forward to it.

Very special. Let me preface be saying that nobody appreciates the volunteer time by the club members more than myself. Thank You IRDC board and gen mems for the effort put into the special race consideration.

I am with Holly. I assume then that all the other race groups will be getting their full 30 minute races and 20 minute qualifers?

Very special. Let me preface be saying that nobody appreciates the volunteer time by the club members more than myself. Thank You IRDC board and gen mems for the effort put into the special race consideration.

I am with Holly. I assume then that all the other race groups will be getting their full 30 minute races and 20 minute qualifers?

Its in the rulebook that you will. As the guy who's got to keep you all on schedule for the weekend please don't crash or break. :D Staying on schedule is a challenge under the best of circumstances.

Great choice!

Legend's and Miata's buzzing around the track - awesome (better than "giddy", Wes?)

The Pro3 guys will be in the stands watching and cheering (unless we can find a Miata or two that is otherwise unoccupied ... hmmm)

Dan

If you can't find a Miata how about renting a legends from us to race that weekend???? We might have some available. Thanks to all for supporting us Legends drivers. We are developing some of the best road racers in the nation right here in the NW. Last weekend Kirk Hall took 2nd place in Masters (over 40 years old) and my son Ian Smith took 2nd in the semi pro division at the NASCAR support race at Infineon. Back there this weekend to race another national event. Come join the fun. If you ever have questions about Legends road racing please give me a shout. 206-605-4636. We can get you in a car for a test drive or a rental for a full race weekend!
Cheers,
Norm Smith

Been on the road traveling the last couple of weeks and will be for a bit longer so this is the first time I've had a chance to really read this. Legends and Miata's at the same time. Definitely will be interesting and fun.

Not trying to steal a previous thought but here's some added thought for a previously mentioned idea had it been an open wheel race. Say there are ten Legends and ten Miata's for presentation purposes here. You then take two Legends and two Miata's to create team one, four more for team two and so forth. I'll leave how to determine the team order to all of you. We now have a race for each class as well as teams racing against each other. Tally up the points to determine the team finishing order. Place a number one on the back and sides for team one, two, three and so forth for those watching as well as the racers which would be an added bonus that would add additional excitement to the race. The team numbers can be written on white paper and taped to the cars. No need to be fancy. Benefits. A race within the two race groups, a chance to make new acquantiences with those on your team, a chance for non front runners to maybe secure the one long sought after win they may never see racing as a team and something easy to do and different along with the special race. Who knows. The team concept may lead to a few additonal entries.

Lastly. Good for those responsible for having the forethought to put this and other special races together. Thank you. May not increase the specator count but sure is different and refreshing for those in attendance.

PEANUTS, POPCORN, CRACKERJACKS. GET IT WHILE IT'S HOT. THE RACE IS ABOUT TO START. How many you want there bud.

Jim

I just learned that the Miata's won't be running "the special race" with the Legends.

What gives? I know its not safety, compared to what? Enduro racing? Such as drivers that currently don't seem to use their mirrors NOW! Size difference such as GT1 and a Lotus Seven in SPU on the track at the same time.

Oh, how about the speed difference. Lets see at PR Legends generally do 1:41.xxx to 1:43.xxx and SM/CSM do 1:42.xxx to 1:45.xxx. Yes I know there are slower cars. High to low is 4 sec time 18 laps thats 1:12.xxx in a 30min race. We where going to do a split start right? Don't we generally race in mixed classes?

At the first PR race this year the aprox average difference per group in qualifying from pole to last was over 20sec.

Oh well, I quess I didn't need the track time or to spend the money.

PS. Racing with the Legends last weekend at Sears Point must of been just too scary.:p

Last edited:
I just learned that the Miata's won't be running "the special race" with the Legends.

What gives? I know its not safety, compared to what? Enduro racing? Such as drivers that currently don't seem to use their mirrors NOW! Size difference such as GT1 and a Lotus Seven in SPU on the track at the same time.

.:p

Its in the competition Regs 1305.A.

Definition. Sports Racing cars shall be designed and constructed
solely for road racing competition. Sports Racing cars shall be of
closed wheel design. Any formula car may be converted to Sports
Racing by incorporation of appropriate bodywork. No productionbased
car, (see Sections 1302. A. and 1302. B.) regardless of state of
modification, shall be classified as or be allowed to compete with
Sports Racing cars. Closed wheel purpose-built cars (i.e. Baby
Grand or Legend type) fabricated to less than 3/4 scale reproductions,
shall be classified as Sports Racers with class determined by cc
displacement or listed specifically as a car classification for placement
within the Formula Vee/Sports Racer Group. Sports Racers and
purpose-built cars meeting the “less than 3/4 scale” specification
spelled out in this section (i.e. Baby Grand or Legend type cars) shall
not be combined with any other race group in which production based
cars compete.
These rules for Sports Racing also reference
Appendix B, with exceptions, which are detailed as Appendix B of
these regulations.

So thats where the thinking to exclude Miatas came from.

db

Last edited:
Is that the official E-Board vote, as they're the ones to decide if we will suspend that rule for a special race?

Back