3rd annual "Worker Appreciation Kart Enduro" info here

Thank you all, but we are just doing what we have the ability to do, what we all do when at the track and someone needs a hand. It's just on a bigger scale.

Here is a link to the project, please check it out when you have time. We hope to find some time to blog about the progress once a week or so, but we will have to see if that is going to be possible. Also note, there is a donation button on the upper left of the page. We set up a PayPal account to help Steve, his wife and his 6 year old make it through an unimaginable time. Steve can't work any longer, his wife is looking for a career and time is short. Some friends and family have arranged a fun night at a local pub to raise money for another item on his Bucket List, at trip to Disney Land with his wife and son. Great to see everyone come together.

http://www.retroracingteam.com/id98.html

Thank you all again, have fun at the Race!!!

Jeff Remfert
Retro Racing Team

Very Sad Email I got today. This is truly a world class Kart facility and I am going to be very sad to see it close. Economic times suck;

Dear Friends,

Apex Karting will be closing effective January 31st, 2011. The final day of racing will be January 29th, 2011.

We have tried everything we could to continue, but the effects of the economy over the past 3 years has made it impossible.

If you have races on your account we encourage you to come in and use them! Any races you have on your account can be shared with anyone else. Unfortunately, we are not able to give refunds for any unused races.

VIP Members: Effective February 1st, 2011 your credit card will no longer be auto-billed.

Due to the pending closing, we are going to be allowing our snack bar stock to run out, and we will not be placing any orders with Domino's Pizza. Your understanding during these last 3 weeks will be greatly appreciated.

We want to thank you for your business!

Your support over these past 2 1/2 years has been wonderful. We've met many wonderful people, and we've had the opportunity to use Apex to help raise money for some very deserving local organizations. Over the past three holiday seasons we've raised over $10,000 for Toys for Tots! We hosted charity events for the Thurston County Food Bank, Rebuilding Together Thurston County, and we've been donating money every week from our "Family Day" program to the PTA's of local elementary schools.

Thank you again for your patronage and your support. We hope that you carry with you memories of Apex Karting that will last a lifetime, just as we will.

With our heartfelt thanks,

Walker, Harmonie, Phil & Dede

But Frank, if you had someone other than a Mazda driver you'd have to change the name to Team Mazda Madness and One Smart Guy.

I drove the karts at Apex Karting for two sessions this evening. They are a lot of fun to drive. No bad habits and very predictable. Fun track layout, too.

I was talking with one of the workers there and he commented that ICSCC enduro racers drive pretty clean and are fun to watch. It was a nice compliment.

See you folks there next Saturday!

Rules? We don't need no stinking rules.

Randy - can you post a rules refresher.

From what I remember.
- Max stint length was 30 min, but a driver could double stint.
- no kart changes were allowed during driver changes
- there was a 15 sec penalty for a stop-n-go double stint, 30 sec penalty for driver change (or do I have that backwards...?)
- kart changes could be done at any time, but an hour and 45 minutes was the recommended max length before the kart ran out of fuel.

Here are the race rules for the event this year;

Race schedule, Rules and Tips

1. There is a mandatory driver's meeting for all drivers at 9:00AM. If you miss the meeting you can't race. Please arrive no later than 8:30AM to sign in, complete entry, etc... Official race start time is 10:00am. Please see me asap to complete payment, cash or checks only please. Info/directions here; http://www.apexkarting.com/

2. Apex Karting rules apply to all participants.

3. All drivers must sign the Apex Karting liability waiver.

4. Kart assignment will be determined by random drawing at the end of the drivers meeting. Requests for specific karts will not be entertained.

5. Race starting position will be determined by a short qualifying session held approximately 10 minutes prior to the start of the race. Pole position will be awarded to the winner of the pole position auction, with the qualifying session fast time starting in second place, unless the team with the fast time elects to raise the winning bid by $50. If the team with the fast time raises the bid winning bid by $50, they will start from the pole, and the previous high bidding team will start from their actual timed position. Qualifying Driver will be determined by team vote. Once the qualifying race is complete, the drivers will be stopped on the race track and directed into the pit lane in the qualifying order. The qualifying driver does not have to be the driver that starts the race. There will be an opportunity for a change of drivers between qualifying and the start of the race.

6. Drivers stints/changes are at the discretion of the team captains.

7. For refueling purposes, the race clock will be temporarily stopped after approximately two hours of racing. Since this race is 6 hours in length, there will be two stops for refueling. Racing will be stopped on the track and the teams will be directed into the pits in the current running order. Refueling will take place outside the building in accordance with fire safety regulations. One kart at a time will be driven through the garage to the refueling area and returned to the pit lane.

8. Following refueling, the running order will be inverted and karts will be exchanged. The team currently in first place based on total laps will move to the kart of the team in last place; the team in second to the kart of the team in next to last, and so on. This puts the team in last place at the end of the fuel run on the pole for the start of the next fuel run, and mitigates differences in kart performance.

9. Contact that results in a position change, or causes the contacted kart to change line, will result in an open black flag stop and go penalty. A rolled up black flag warns of unsportsmanlike conduct. Continued unsportsmanlike conduct could result in disqualification of the driver or team. The type of penalty will be determined by the Pit Boss and will be based on a judgment call of the severity and flagrance of the contact or behavior. REPEATED INTENTIONAL CONTACT MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION OF THE DRIVER OR TEAM.

10. Only two karts may be in the pit area at any one time during driver changes. Any kart entering the pit area while two karts are there shall be required to serve a mandatory 30 second penalty which will be assessed immediately following their driver change. If a driver enter the pit while another kart is already in the pit, the driver change may not begin until the first kart has exited the pit area.

11. The yellow line at the entrance to the pit lane is a “Do Not Cross Line”. This is a safety rule! Drivers must come to a complete stop before any part of the kart goes over any part of the yellow line. Teams crossing this line while coming into the pits for a driver’s change will be assessed a 30 second penalty which will be assessed immediately following their driver change.

12. Replacement karts will be available for mechanical failures. Drivers will indicate a mechanical failure by raising their hand. If they can continue to drive the kart they will pull into the pits to exchange karts. If they cannot continue, they should pull to the side of the track and stop. A full course caution will be instituted while the kart is replaced. There is absolutely no passing during a full course caution. Once a kart is pulled from a race for a mechanical failure it will not return to racing except as a replacement kart if repairs can be made in a timely manner. Position lost due to mechanical failure will not be restored. Should all replacement karts be exhausted, any team experiencing a mechanical failure will be finished racing and their position in the race will be determined by the number of laps completed.

13. All drivers are required to check in with the Pit Boss prior to driver exchanges, please allow at least 5 minutes prior to your planned driver change.

14. Spectators will not be allowed in the pit area while any karts are on the track.

15. No more than one driver shall be allowed over the pit wall at any one time for any team.

16. All karts will be held in the pit during driver changes by the Pit Boss until seat belt is fastened and for any penalties that have been assessed.

17. Drivers leaving the pit area after driver changes are responsible to enter the race track only when safe and clear of other karts. Any driver deemed to have joined the race in an unsafe manner will be assessed a 30 second stop and go penalty.

18. No beverages of any kind are allowed in the track or pit area during race time. In addition, no driver will be allowed to consume any alcoholic beverage while karts are on the track. Any driver found to be drinking prior to the end of his driving activities shall be disqualified immediately.

19. Decisions of the Race Marshall and Race Director are final. Drivers may not talk to the Race Marshall at any time. Any driver that talks to the Race Marshall may be disqualified from further racing. Any team that has repeated drivers talking to the Race Marshall may be disqualified.

-Please be aware/remember that the race is held in a building with large fans that draw outside air for ventilation. It's been pretty cold outside lately, so it's likely that it will be very cold during the race. Drivers should think about bringing a couple of layers of clothes, mabye something with windstopper so you can find a good balance between bulk and staying warm. Your regular racing gloves will probably be just the ticket to keep your meat hooks toasty during the race. Make sure your spectators also bring warm clothes.

-Don't hang around in the track area too much as the Carbon Monoxide buildup will give you a headache. Bring a change of clothes or you'll be pretty exhaust stinky on the way home or at the bar.

-There should be some helmets available, or you're welcome to bring your own. Bring your own neck collar if you want.

-Please feel free to bring something to eat.

Last edited:
Steve, based on what I experienced yesterday, I think a 30 minute stint is plenty long for most drivers in these karts. For couch potatoes like me, it was a real test of muscular endurance. I'm sore today!

Thanks for the info, Randy.

By the way, can we bring in our own food and drink (water , Gatorade, etc)? I know Apex Karting serves pizza, burgers, hotdogs, etc. but I'm on a health kick now (roll eyes now!).

Since they're shutting down in a few weeks, they're not replenishing food stocks. Please consider supporting them as much as possible by taking a look at what they do have available to eat, but you can also bring something to eat.

Randy--

That appears to be rule set from 2 years ago. Are we going back to that? Or did you mistakenly post the old rules. Last year we were able to change karts whenever we wanted (which eliminated teams whining about getting stuck with a slow kart for 2 hours).

Steve, based on what I experienced yesterday, I think a 30 minute stint is plenty long for most drivers in these karts. For couch potatoes like me, it was a real test of muscular endurance. I'm sore today!

last year all of our drivers did double 30 min stints. We even had one driver to a triple stint.

I'm pretty sure the pro3 team did double 30 min stints also.

This year the track is shorter, and it does seem to be more of a workout..... I dunno how that is gonna play out.

last year all of our drivers did double 30 min stints. We even had one driver to a triple stint.

I'm pretty sure the pro3 team did double 30 min stints also.

This year the track is shorter, and it does seem to be more of a workout..... I dunno how that is gonna play out.

I think double 30 minute stints should be fine. That's my team's plan right now.

I wouldn't want to be in these karts for longer than 40 minutes at a stretch. I'd need a break after that!

These rules aren't exactly the same, but close. It's mostly down to staffing, it takes a lot more fellas to keep many karts in service at all times, that allows the race to run without a mass fuel stop, and switching out karts at will. We just don't have the staffing levels that we had last year. I think if someone has a kart they can't stand that they will be probably be able to exchange it in the pit lane, similar to a mechanical issue, but that choice has to be weighed against the time loss of doing the exchange. Stint duration/frequency is up to the drivers and teams.

Back