The video HOW-TO for the simplified man

colin_koehler

Great SCOTT!
Subject 1: Formats

Video Formats are essentially "Containers" in which the audio and video are stuff into. Sometimes the Audio and Video file in the container are separate, other times they're not. These "containers" are essentially the "video format". There are many formats for videos nowadays but here are 3 of the most popular:
  • MP4 = International format, lots of support, very popular
  • AVI = Created by Micro$oft in 1992, very popular, plays on most players
  • MOV = Quicktime. Created by Apple, shares a lot of the same characteristics as MP4, BUT if you don't have a MAC, you may not want to consider this if only doing quick simple editing.
Also, if you ever see "Video format: H.264", that is a form of video compression (data compression) and can be found BOTH in the MP4 container or the MOV container.

Subject 2: Camera options and Memory Card options

With today's technology we are not longer Tape, either Hi-8 or Mini DV... there's no point. Just about every computer made in the last 7 years has an SD card reader on it and if not, then a USB port. So, Cameras record right to internal memory or Flash Memory.

Consider your format when purchasing cameras.. I prefer MP4 and AVI but that's just me.

LOTS of Camera options!!:

GoPro Motorsports HERO HD: video format MP4 Uses SDHC cards
Video Example: http://www.vimeo.com/24504375
gopro.jpg

Tripod adapter:
gopro_tripod_mount_t.jpg

Contour HD: Video format MOV Uses Micro SDHC cards
ContourHD-1080p-Full-HD-Helmet-Camera-Review.jpg

Flip, Vado, Bloggie, Playsport..."Pocket Cams": Multiple Formats Some use Internal Memory, some use SDHC cards

I use the 1st Generation Vado because it's 720p, AVI, 8Gb internal memory, cheap and easy.
Video Example: http://www.vimeo.com/23187528
31zr-yoWauL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Cameras to Avoid!
HandyCam style hand cameras such as:
panasonic-camcorder.jpg

These style cameras as of late ($200-$600 range), all have great "image stabilization" but when mounted to a race car they CANNOT handle Vibration due to the design of the OIS feature (Optical image stabilization). A couple years ago they could because the OIS hardware was different and when you turned it off, it actually turned off... Not any more. We have experienced this with Sony, Panasonic, Canon, and others and nothing available today worked on a roll cage. Buy at your own risk for purposes of racing video and make sure the return policy is good (AKA, buy from Costco if you're going to roll the dice).

p.s. I specifically showed the Panasonic because I had the $400 panasonic and it was crap... just crap.

Memory Cards!

Large to Small: SD, Mini SD and Micro SD
sdminisdmicrosdvc4.jpg

Many devices (such as GoPro) use SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity). These are rated in Classes. Class 4, 6, 8 and 10.

Even though GoPRO might say a class 4 is fast enough to work (Can record data fast enough for HD video) I have had awful success with Class 4 and recommend Class 10. They're cheap.. go for it.

16Gb Class 10 SDHC card at Best Buy was $43 and that's like 4-5 hours of HD recording on 1 card.

Notice the "10" in this pictuer?... Indicates Class 10
kingston-sdhc-class-10-card.jpg

Subject 3: Shortening Video quickly

Ok, I'm not going to show you how to cut video, BUT I will show you 1 option I use for AVI and MP4 that allows me to just snip off the front and back of the video without having to re-encode the whole thing, thus it only takes a couple minutes and you DON'T need a powerful computer.

AVIDEMUX 2.5

Download it from here:
http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

Here's how you use it with SCREEN SHOTS!!

Avidemux1.png

Avidemux2.png

avidemux3.png

avidemux4.png

avidemux5.png

On this one below: Use the cursor to where you want it then click the "A" to set point A, then move it again and click "B" to set point B and you will then save what's in the middle.
Avidemux6.png

Avidemux7.png

Avidemux8.png

Coming NEXT: Video Hosting, why Youtube can suck it and why it won't.

Very cool - thanks for the primer Colin. No doubt it will help expand the ever increasing library of good in car video that is being produced these days!

Subject 4: Video Hosting

Recommended Sites:
[u]http://www.VIMEO.com[/u]
[u]http://www.YOUTUBE.com[/u]

Differences between the two:

Youtube PROs and CONs

PROS
  • Account is free
  • Allows High Definition
  • Video can be embedded and viewed in forums instead just a link.
  • easily viewable on portable devices via "Youtube App"
CONS
  • Videos have a short time limit (like 15 minutes), unless you verify your identity with Youtube.
  • Does not allow users to download source file for sharing other than MP4
  • Often suffers bandwidth/buffering issues for viewers

Vimeo PROs and CONs

PROS
  • Has the user option to allow "mobile viewing" so it can be seen on mobile devices
  • You can allow viewers to download your source file for sharing (I do)
  • NO time limit, only bandwidth limit... 2 hour movie?... no problem!
  • Less RIAA and MPAA regulation. If you use music in your video it won't get muted like on Youtube.
  • High Defnition and you can increase your upload to 5gb/week if you subscribe ($59.99/year)
  • For those of you with your business, the Vimeo PRO for Business is really cool.
CONS
  • Limited Forum embedding
  • Not as popular on mobile devices: No Vimeo "app" for trendy phones.
  • Uploading big files requires user to have paid service (but it's so awesome!)

I have both accounts but I have Vimeo Plus (paid account) and prefer it. As a video hosting site it really appeals more toward the video artist with some of the tools it has and what it allows but for me, being able to host a 30 minute long video at 1080p and view it without having to "buffer" is worth the money. Also, if anyone wants my video I can just say, "Just go to my Vimeo account and download it for yourself and watch it on whatever device of yours that you want."

Now you don't have to cut your videos into 3 parts for Youtube.. just want 1 video... hell yeah

Last edited:
You can upload videos longer than 15 minutes to YouTube if you verify your identity with them. Also, viewers can download videos in MP4 format.

I recently heard that YouTube had changed the time limit to 10 hours.. Which prompted people to immediately upload 10 hour loops of useless clips hehe.

By the way, thanks for this thread! I usually use quicktime pro to cut the head and tails of my races, but decided to give this a go after pointing someone to the thread earlier. Seems much quicker, as through quicktime I'm always re-encoding the file.. Awesome!

Colin...
Following the link you posted...when you go to downloads, which one do you actually click on to download? I have a PC, but it is not clear to me where the download file is? Thanks.....

Do you have have a 64bit or 32bit version of Windows?

I have Windows 7 x64 so either one works for me but if you have a 32bit version of Windows then the 64bit might not work.

You decide:
sourceforgedownload.png

Colin...
Did my first video - easy to cut and set, but playback is very slow and sound is sputtering......Window 7 - 64 bit...assistance please? Thanks.

I think I figured it out Colin...will see when I finish uploading to Vimeo......easy cheesy to cut video to correct size. Thanks again!

Video guru Colin -

The new crop of HD Flip, Bloggie, Vado, Playsport, etc all are crowing about how they now have image stabilization.

This is something to avoid even on these small digital cameras, right?

Thanks for the thread!

Good question Rick. The answer is yes and no.

Digital image stabilization is just fine. Optical image stabilization often causes the problem and is now common in traditionally designed camcorders (handycam style). The Vado, bloggie, Play sport etc, don't appear to have OIS yet, but read the box.

Rick, there's some that are either out or coming out that have remotes now. Even Go-Pro is coming out with a device that allows you to fire it up remotely and even control it with an iphone/android app.

This is one that I might try this year:
product_thumb.php

It gets great reviews on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Veho-VCC005MU...9FSE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1326762336&sr=8-3

Back