The Trek to Grass Valley (ORP)

In my opinion, taking I-90 to Ellensburg than to I-82 to Yakima would be a big mistake if you are towing a heavy trailer with a motorhome. Not only do you have Snoqualmie Pass, but there are some major grades coming up out of Cle Elum, and some HUGE hills between Ellensburg and Yakima.

I've never been on 97 between Yakima and Goldendale, but I bet there are lots of big hills on that road, too.

I towed to ORP and back earlier this week via I-90 and US-97. Average MPG for the trip was about 9, not significantly different than a trip to Portland or Mission. My rig is a Tundra pickup and a 6000# enclosed trailer. That's actually better than I did towing a friend's 8000# trailer to Portland last year. I ran at the speed limit except on the steeper grades, where I backed off to 60 or 65. Your mileage may vary as they say. There are hills to pull for sure - I think the steepest are the 3 ridges between Ellensburg and Yakima. Coolant and tranny temps didn't budge, although ambient temps were in the 60s - cooler than it'll be on this year's ORP race weekends. From my house in Woodinville that route is about 65 miles shorter, an hour quicker (or 2+ hours in Friday / Sunday afternoon traffic), and 2 orders of magnitude less stressful than the I-405 and I-5 free for all.

I have traveled both routes in the last two months and found the I-90- Yakima -97 the favorable on a Friday afternoon. The travel time with limited traffic is within 20 minutes. On a good day it is 5 hours either way but on Friday via I-5 you can add 1-2 hours. Fuel mileage will be better on I-5 but that is the trade-off. If you get to the track and forgot some items, there is a great grocery store, cafe & packaged refreshment store, all in the same building that I recommend. They are great people and try to carry a little of everything to make your stay enjoyable. Prices are reasonable and the staff is friendly. Remember to get gas/diesel at Biggs Junction, it is 27 miles to the track from the river.

Also, for those of you that have NOT heard, I5 north bound from mp111 to mp118, (thats Hawks Prieare to just south of FT lewis scales), is in the start of CLOSING TWO lanes for major road work and this will go on till some time next year. Right now they are closing at 7pm and open by 5am Monday thru Thursday then closing for the weekend from 7pm Friday till EARLY Monday morning. A week ago the traffic at 8pm on Sunday was backed up to south Tumwater. SOOOOOOO any one north of Olympia may wish to think VERY strongly about going 97/I90.

That'll be fun for the folks coming back from Portland this Sunday. Almost makes me glad I'm not going...

Also, for those of you that have NOT heard, I5 north bound from mp111 to mp118, (thats Hawks Prieare to just south of FT lewis scales), is in the start of CLOSING TWO lanes for major road work and this will go on till some time next year. Right now they are closing at 7pm and open by 5am Monday thru Thursday then closing for the weekend from 7pm Friday till EARLY Monday morning. A week ago the traffic at 8pm on Sunday was backed up to south Tumwater. SOOOOOOO any one north of Olympia may wish to think VERY strongly about going 97/I90.

Is the back road route (Tenino, Yelm, Roy, Spanaway) a reasonable alternative? Thinking about Sunday night coming back from PIR after having run in the last group of the day.

As a matter a fact, it may very well be a faster route. Go off at exit 88 to tenio (south sound speedway) and follow it all the way up. Average speed this way will be around 50 mph, but at least you will be on the move and not doing 5-10 for 15 miles. LOL

Bob,
Thomas and I took that route going south last year as the I-5 was totaled.
Nice drive and way less stressful than the idiot fest that was going on elsewhere.
We had just hauled out the map to plot our return home on Sunday night as well.
This route may me a little busier than normal as others will be looking to get out of the delay too, but worth a shot.

That route north is as bad as the freeway when everyone decides to take it as an alternate. I peeled off in Oly 2 years ago on the way back from PIR due to an accident around Ft. Lewis, and it took a good 2 hours to make it to Spanaway. There is a light in Yelm which took over 30 minutes to get through, but I suppose it's better than sitting dead still on I-5 forever.

Back