The Trek to Grass Valley (ORP)

Bossbill

LoCoFoMoCo Racing
Now that I have an RV it changes my route planning a little (a V-10 in a 26' class A). It takes the moderate+ hills very nicely so far with only occasional shifts out of od. Seems to have pretty decent power. But I'll be sticking a 20' enclosed behind it adding another 5K.

I live near Highway 18 and Preston is not too far. According to some map programs they say 18 to I-90 S; on to Yakima and I-82 S; then I-97 S on to Grass Valley. This takes 4 hours (in a car) and is 250 miles.

The other way is South on I-5 to Portland and then I-84 E to I-97 S on to Grass Valley. This takes 5 hours (in a car) and is 292 miles.

I know how steep Snoqualmie pass is, but don't recall much of the topography beyond. If you're in a car and you just drive the size of the passes isn't real clear. But when you pull a load it becomes very, very clear.

Do I take the passes and beyond or is the I-5 direction the way to go?

Highway 97 south goes over Satus pass which is over 3000 feet. That way may be shorter, but I'll be it will take more fuel. Let's see, from where you are you climb to over 3000 feet, then down to Ellensburg, climb back to 3000 feet, then down to the Columbia River, then back up to 2500 feet at the track. Going south through Portland may be a few miles farther, but you climb far fewer hills.

Bill, I had spoken to some people that drove (in a car) to ORP through Yakima and then home by Portland and then I5 north. (just to see if there was a difference)
It was, I believe, a little shorter in time to come back via Portland and an easier drive. (even though it may have been more in actual mileage)
If you're towing, I think give Yakima a pass, there apparantly is a verrry long gradual climb coming the Yakima way, which as you know, is real hard on a bigger rig.
Thomas and I will be going via I5 to Portland then east from BC. (our gas right now for the low octane stuff is $4.40/gal)

Sometimes what looks good on a map doesn't work out.
I didn't remember there was another pass, but it's been years since I ventured out that way.

Guess we'll be taking the devil we kind of know. I had no idea Grass Valley was that high until Rob mentioned it.
So I check the general stats and yep -- "Elevation: 2252 feet".

Time to rejet for altitude!

I looked at that when ORP 1st became a real possibility. Reached the same conclusion without knowing about the 3rd hill climb.

The slightly 'shorter' trip via Yakima did not offset the loss of velocity by staying on major highways down through Portland.

Yakima route might be more scenic to do once when you have a lot of spare driving time.

How's the Friday afternoon and Sunday evening traffic on I-90/I-84/US97 in the summer? As compared to the flatter route.

I go both ways frequently for my work. Traffic on the I-90... route is nothing to speak of, especially when compared to the I-5... route. You could lose an hour or more on the I-5... route due to traffic.

Make sure your tranny is ready for the pull no matter which way you go. My Class A did not like pulling a car trailer over the mountains on a trip to Mission from Spokane. Had to have it rebuilt with some better parts.

The Portland traffic on I-5 is usually north bound on Friday night. Same for I-205 which is what you should use to avoid some of the Portland area. I-205 peels off on the north side of Vancouver, WA. You would then take I-84 east to Biggs. Once you get on I-84, you will be going with the heavier traffic, but not for long. Once you get past Troutdale, a distance of 10 miles(?), the worst of the traffic should be over. Coming back Sunday night, there will likely be heavier traffic of folks coming back into the city but, baring accidents, you should have no problems. Getting back on ti I-205 north bound is a tad bit odd since you have to be to the left on I-84 to get to the ramp. The left two lanes peel off for I-205, but you need to be in the right lane of that pair to get onto I-205 North. One thing I usually do when going into a new area is take a look at the area in Google Earth so I can see the various ramps. The GPS is nice, but nothing beats satellite imaging.

I generally leave for PIR on Friday afternoon. I hit the Fort Lewis bottle neck around 2-2:30 which slows you down to a crawl for about an hour. It doesn't open up until past Oly.
I have to either leave earlier, leave later or find a way around this mess.

From memory the route through Yakima has a lot of rolling hills. They tend to suck up fuel as well :( . I have been trying to gather as much info on towing enclosed trailers
with gas powered motorhomes. I know Manfred tows with his RV and it is similar to mine. I think he keeps the fresh water tank low until he gets to where he is going, and then tops it off. I hope he can add to that. A added tranny temp gauge helps if you are going over hills. Don't tow in OD with certain transmissions. They do block air from hitting the trailer, so you won't have as much as that drag effect as with a pick up.

I never realized that the Vantage hill had the same elevation change as the Pass into Seattle from the East side.

I understand that those of us who will be coming from the East side should use the alternate road coming up from the river, and not the Biggs exit grade.

Mike

Last edited:
I generally leave for PIR on Friday afternoon. I hit the Fort Lewis bottle neck around 2-2:30 which slows you down to a crawl for about an hour. It doesn't open up until past Oly. I have to either leave earlier, leave later or find a way around this mess.

Yes, same-o here. We "gather" in Tacoma (from Issaquah & Maple Valley) to load the car around noonish. Hit Ft. Lewis about 1:00 to 1:30. Traffic is heavy but we roll along at our max tow speed of 55 to 60 MPH (using a seriously old Ford F-250 diesel with a heavy home built camper on it).

When you find a way "around the mess" please post it :)

Although our 'haul guy' (my brother) has offered to make the Spokane tow, I'm guessing we'd go over the Cascades at about 35 or 40 MPH !

Last edited:
My thinking with the water as well. You need to look up state dump stations at rest stops just prior to arrival in order to fill up on water. At least that what I was thinking about doing. I'm a newbie with RVs too.
You do need to know how to tow at max GCVW with respect to your RV. My Powerstroke towed the trailer in od very nicely and rarely kicked out. With the gas, I think 1:1 will work best on anything other than a flat grade or downhill.

When you find a way "around the mess" please post it :)

How about using 512 and just short of Lakewood, veer off to 507 S?
507 goes to Yelm, Tenino and then Centralia. It would bypass the whole mess.
This is a 2 lane highway, but Google Street View shows it as a pretty good little road (looks like Petrovitsky). There doesn't appear to be a lot of stops. It may be hilly.

Can someone from that area tell us what that road is like?

You all know what the tow to PIR is like from Seattle area. Going to Grass Valley you would take I205 on the north side of Vancouver and from there, there are two ways to get to I84east. #1 is go about 10 miles in Or and hit the I84 BUT until about 7:30-8pm, that 10 miles could take 1 hour or more to get to the east side of Portland (think Troutedell). When I go to the Dalles or Maryhill friday afternoon, I get off at airport blvd, go left to the second traffic lite, go left and get on Marine Dr (two lane but fast and NO traffic) and in Troutdell in about 20 mins. and on to 84, hammer down east. Time from the river bridge to the Dalles, 1hr 40 mins. Nice drive

I live in the area, if you take this route, do not go south from Tenio to Centralia. Go stright to Rochester to hit I5 then go south. The road between Tenio and centrailia is a tougher route then it looks on the map/google.

Ok 507 to Tenino and then Old Highway 99 though Sunnydale to I-5 at Essex or Grand Mound.

Is this whole route pretty flat? Or at least no worse than I-5s rollers?
A 50 mph road?

Bill If you are asking about WA 14 from Vancouver along the river, It is a two lanes road, LOTS of hills average speed with the MH/tr would be about 40mph. Not much traffic but then you give some to get some. Take to the other side of the Dalles (97) go across the river and keep going.

As for the 507 to Tenio to I5, I5 is at Grand Mound, 99 is parall to I5 on the west side and will bring you out on the north side of Centrailia, then fight the lites (2) to get on I5. Where are you seeing Sunnydale and Essex?

Dave -- ok, take 97.

Sunnydale is halfway between Tenino and Grand Mound on Old 99.
Essex is the name given to the I-5/12 junction at Grand Mound on my map.

From what you say there is no on-ramp at Grand Mound, so continue S on 99 to Centralia.

Sounds like a plan!

Dave -- ok, take 97.

Sunnydale is halfway between Tenino and Grand Mound on Old 99.
Essex is the name given to the I-5/12 junction at Grand Mound on my map.

From what you say there is no on-ramp at Grand Mound, so continue S on 99 to Centralia.

Sounds like a plan!

Take 97---from where? Yakamia?

There is a on ramp at Grand Mound BEFORE you get to old 99, its called EXIT 88. I drive that area all the time to go to South Sound Speedway, (ciclr track) ya I know.. I still do not know of a Sunnydale. If I were in your place, coming from NEAR Preston, I would go over I90 to Ellensburg (65mph) turn south to Yakmia (65mph) to 97 (55-60mph) to Maryhill and cross the river and go up the hill (30-40mph) and keep south to Grass Valley (about 30 miles). Drive time, depending on stops, should be about 4 hours. Any way, LOL

Back