Team Continental August Race

kbsmith1

Hey folks, I wanted to encourage everyone to come out to Oregon Raceway Park for Team Continental's
August race with driver training/test and tune on Friday. I know it will be a great weekend. Come join us for
the drivers traing/test and tune, it is definitely value priced at $175. And a race entry is a great value @ $250.
Additionally, for Group 2 or Group 5 drivers/cars we have a special race group that offers 1.5 hrs of track time,
including both a sprint race, and a full 30 minute race on Sunday. We are currently in sponsorship discussions for this
special race, and if that comes through, then we expect first 3 overall places to split $500 in prize money. Trophies
in the special race group will be given for top 3 group 2 and top 3 group 5 places, plus it'll just be a lot of fun.

Sincerely hope to see you at ORP for the whole weekend. TC will do everything in our power to make sure you have
a fun weekend.

Kevin Smith
American Sedan Firebird #03 & Team Continental ICSCC E-board Representative

Whoops, forgot one thing. AnT tire will be at the track during the race weekend, providing tire service.
If you need some new race rubber, please be sure to give them a call so they can have it available for
you at the track.

http://www.tracksideracetires.com/
or (503)236-2106

34 entries and only a bit over a week away...

Maybe Grp 4 should be added to the special race, just to fill the field.

Would love to make it out, but I still have the transmission out of my car, and this weekend I am spoken for with family stuff.. Wish I could.

You can do it :). You have Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday nights to get it all back together and ready.
Racing is Aug 4,5. Driver traing and test n tune is Aug 3.

Wow I'm still shocked it's that low of a count. I know for some of us in Seattle (&PRO44) it falls between a long Spokane tow, an scca ridge weekend and of course the real ridge race the following week. And of course a single points race weekend.

I missed the may race due to family obligations so dying to get down there to ORP. I just wish my gas budget was larger for towing cheaper to tow down it's a little over $250 round trip (stupid 6.8l v10 excursion).

> Maybe Grp 4 should be added to the special race, just to fill the field.

Ken - That would be fun. If that occurs, I'll probably need more gas, cause I'd be up for it.

One of the advantages of ORP, I think, is the fact that it is a great equalizer. Because of the trickiness, and elevation changes, brute horse power seems to have little to less advantage over quick and manueverable production classes in the overall. Merely an observance, but that's what makes this 'special' race combination that much more interesting and challenging. Here's a real chance to prove it out on track and between those closely related groups.

36 entries. That's growth. I personally (fwiw) thank you very much. Maybe next year the schedule won't string ICSCC events three consecutive weeks. I mean, we've got less weekends, but stuffed all together in clumps? Does that make sense to you?

Get 'er gassed up Kevin.

Last edited:
Ken, I completely agree. ORP is still my favorite track I have raced on. Power helps going up the hill but everywhere else it is neutralized. Awesome track.

James

Agreed. I was able to get there in may for the 11 hour rat race in a mildly prepped 944. I fell in love like I expected I just was unable to make the double. Maybe I will get lucky and pull something off...

We are up against the first Conference race ever held at The Ridge on the following weekend, so it is understandable that our car counts are low. The Ridge weekend has already eclipsed the 100-entry mark. I won't be racing ORP this time, just volunteering. Besides I haven't fixed the 944 anyway :)

Bummer--our truck lost the tranny last weekend and it is taking longer than hoped to fix, along with a really big bite out of the race budget. Due to --no truck, and hence no camper, and no dogsitter, and an emergency problem for Mike's work today... we are not going to be able to take the racecar with us to ORP. I want TC to know that we're not bailing because of the entries, but because of too many issues to cope with.

We look forward though to seeing many of you on Sunday though, so the kids can help do their normal job on grid and with timing. :)
It's just going to be hard to not have the car with me.

It is really a sad looking paddock out here, though I imagine that made Gordon's job easier. I hope TC switches over to the triple race weekend format the Spokane uses. Should save them a bunch of bucks. I think this is the smallest turnout I have seen in 33 years of working Conference races.

Last edited:
It is really a sad looking paddock out here, though I imagine that made Gordon's job easier. I hope TC switches over to the triple race weekend format the Spokane uses. Should save them a bunch of bucks. I think this is the smallest turnout I have seen in 33 years of working Conference races.

Yes Rob this is not looking good for Conference Racing.

I think it is time we look at making a rule that there be NO BACK TO BACK Race Weekend.

It is hard on the workers/Drivers to try to make all the Race Weekends.

John Rissberger
# 10 Camaro A/S Oregon
ICSCC Senior
SCCA National

Back