Ron Johnson 1947-2015

rick_bostrom

Onda Kattan Racing
We are lucky enough to live in the right place and at the right time in history where human life probably has more value than ever before. We try to balance the need to be productive with a desire to fill our lives with fulfilling experiences and rich relationships knowing our time is finite and the end will come at a time not of our choosing. Ron was able to achieve a better balance of those than most living a life full of professional and personal experiences and success. In the end Ron didn't give up easily. He fought long and hard but the end finally came as it will for all of us.

Sometimes it is easy to let the momentary sadness of his passing overshadow the celebration of a life well lived. He was one of a disappearing generation who "did things". He raced cars. He worked corners. He was President of the IRDC. He collected historical pictures, memorabilia, and parts. He raced motorcycles. He was a shooter. He was a professional musician in a major municipal orchestra. He had a much deeper wealth of experience than most people know - I was constantly surprised when he would tell me about something he had done and I don't think I even scratched the surface. He gave of himself and helped anyone who asked. He chose to do things that weren't easy and did them well. He was goofy and treated close friends and strangers pretty much exactly the same. He talked too much, he laughed to much, and was unfailingly welcoming. He managed to concern himself with both history and the future. He had strong opinions and beliefs yet was always respectful of the opinions and beliefs of others. He never said a single word to me that made me think he felt sorry for himself. He was a rare example of genuine friendship, selfless service, and uncompromising integrity that will sorely be missed.

Give a thought to Bonnie, his wife. They had time to make their peace with this and she is strong but it can't be easy. I choose to celebrate Ron's life and think about the positive effect he had on so many people. He will be remembered and missed by many and had a wife who loved him deeply - that is a pretty good legacy in my opinion.

Close your eyes and think about Ron right now. Can you even picture him sad or is he waving and calling your name with a big smile on his face? If you have a fond memory of Ron, please take the time to share it below. As long as we remember him, a bit of him is still here.

Last edited:
A kind, funny, lovely man. A few years ago in Mission, he discovered my love of all things red. He asked what corner I was working and I said "Turn 8". At the end of the next session he was out in, on the cool down lap, as he approached my turn, the car slowed slightly and pulled towards the station, whereupon something came flying out the passenger window. It was a pair of his old driving gloves, the colour of which was ... you guessed it, red! From this Bonnie to Ron's Bonnie, my heart goes out to you at the loss of your sweet husband - he will be fondly remembered by the racing community as a whole, and by me personally. Godspeed Ron, I will miss your always positive and cheery presence - very much.

Rest in Peace.

I used buy season tickets to the Seattle Symphony and I was always excited when I was there on a night that Ron was part of the orchestra. Ron was an extraordinary man and in the manner he conducted himself in my recent memories has me believing that his battle had been won. A passionate, talented and generous stoic. Ron will be missed.

Well put Rick. We will have a moment of silence and a round table of memories of Ron tonight at the IRDC Membership Meeting. Even a couple weeks ago Ron was hoping to make it for one more race. Never give up on life and living well - so Ron. Ron - your spirit will be racing with your friends.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.seattlesymphony.org/about/meetthemusicians/theorchestra/artists/orchestra%20order/percussions/johnson-ron

Greg, a while back I was at a service for someone who was well-loved by many, and instead of asking for a moment's silence, they asked that everyone clap their hands to show their appreciation of the person. There were hundreds of people and to hear the clapping thundering through the church was very memorable. It occurs to me that that would suit Ron also - well done for a life well-lived, and raise a glass. Maybe we can all take a moment to do that at home tonight! I will.

I still remember fondly when I first met Ron.

It was my first trip to Spokane, and I think the hottest weekend I have ever worked a race. Lynn and I ended up working separate turns, and I was on turn 8 on the older layout with the paddock on the inside. Halfway through the morning Ron comes strolling from the paddock and walks right out to the turn. Do you need anything? Are you guys OK? Water? How about water? Its really hot out here are you sure you guys don't need anything?

He checked back several times during the weekend. I appreciated that he just wanted to make sure I was okay.

Hey Ron, I'm doing OK.

Thomas Liesner

Ron was truly one of my favorite Conference people, as Bonnie still is.

I spent years attending Board meetings, where I was often saved from boredom by Ron and his lovely booming voice being passionate about something. He told the most ridiculous Swedish jokes when officiating at IRDC banquets. I enjoyed meals with him and Bonnie, and race weekends with them, and I am so sad he is gone, and I will never forget him.

Please, Bonnie, continue to be a part of our Conference family! We love you and don't want to lose you too.

Well said, Rick.

There are unfortunately too few like Ron out there. He will defiantly be missed. We are all better off for knowing him.

Dan

Well said, Rick.

There are unfortunately too few like Ron out there. He will defiantly be missed. We are all better off for knowing him.

Dan

Ron was quite simply a man's man. He raced motorcycles and cars, yet played in the symphony. He had a booming voice like a news broadcaster, but was a very gentle and thoughtful man. He and Bonnie shared the love of music and played the piano and sang all by themselves in their tidy house.
He showed me his samurai sword collection many years ago, and of course I ran my finger across the blade of one specially attractive sword, to which he politely said, in a rather loud voice, " thanks, now I will have to clean and re-oil that blade. Oops, sorry Ron. No insult, no recrimination, just exposed my mistake and moved on, as he did last week.

So sad. And yet what an example to follow. For the two days I spent with Ron.... He did so much for me. I wish I could have repayed him. But like he told me... Pay it forward. God bless you Ron.

Last edited:
Oh no, I am so sad to read this. Ron was such a great guy! He will be missed by the racing community.

I will remember his pit flag with the Madonna style boobies with fondness.

Does anyone know if there is any sort of service planned?

Cheryl

The first IRDC Race at Pacific May 16 -17 will be the Ron Johnson Grand Prix.
Please send any pictures you have of Ron (or his pit flag) to Colin Koehler Colin (Dot) Koehler (at) L I V E (dot) com as he will be creating a poster for the event.

Last edited:
Greg, et al,

My email is Colin (Dot) Koehler (at) L I V E (dot) com

That way the bots skimming the google pipes don't add me to as many spam lists. :)

Hi, everybody! It's taken me awhile to reach the point where I can participate in this conversation - sorry about that! While the 3 years that Ron was ill gave me plenty of time to prepare, the truth is there is no way to prepare for this. But I think it's time and I want all of you to know how much Ron loved the art of motor racing and the community that participates in it. We had no idea when we bought a little red VW on display at a local car show that our entire lives would become dedicated to racing here in the Northwest, and that our world would be enriched by knowing so very many splendid people! From the beginning, when we didn't know anything but discovered that everyone would help us find our way, to the years when every free moment was spent in meetings or on the phone or at the track just taking care of whatever needed doing, to the point where Ron was so gravely ill but kept himself going with the thought that maybe there could be just one more race. . . well, it's been a pageant all its own. The most purely happy moments in his life were on the track and some of his favorite people in the world were his fellow racers.

Ron didn't want any kind of service for himself, and honestly, he had so many different communities of friends that I don't even know how I'd begin to coordinate such a thing. I'm not even sure I have enough brain cells at the moment. But the very fact that the May IRDC race will be dedicated to his memory is all that he would wish for, and so very meaningful to me! I've got teardrops on my keyboard just thinking about it. Thank you so much. And just by the way, May 18 is our wedding anniversary - how's that for timing?

There are changes ahead for me now that Ron is gone - my mother especially is hoping for more of my time. I do look forward to seeing you all as time allows, and definitely in May. Thank you for all your kind thoughts and all the great memories!

Always, Bonnie Johnson

When I was a novice I was walking past Ron's pit (loved the flag) he yelled hello to me, someone he didn't know from Gilligan so I thought there's an older fellow who has a lot of experience and good looks so I stopped and asked him about racing in the rain as this was going to be my first. He took time away from his preparation for his race to come look at my car, well he noticed that my rain tires were brand new and suggested I spend the first couple laps scrubbing the new off and gave me a piece of advice that I've passed on to my sons when they started racing, (it's faster to go slow than off the track). That's the kind of thing that makes one man fall in love with another. I'll miss him.

Mark

Sorry to hear about Ron's passing.
He was one of the good guys.
And that flag ...

He will be missed.

Thank you Bonnie for your post. I having been thinking about you and Ron a lot over these last 2 weeks, and wondering how you were doing. It will be so nice to see you in May with so many friends around. You know there are many, many of us who will be glad to help in any way we can. I know you have this under control, but we're here if you need us.
For some reason I have been going back to the rally you and Ron put together for the club in Enumclaw maybe 10 years ago, and the bowling at the end of the rally. Not sure why, but that was such a laid back and fun day with a few club regulars like Roxann and Bill, and we all enjoyed that day a bunch, and we appreciated the time Ron put into mapping it out and making it happen.

To Bonnie and the rest of the ICSCC family. I just happened to access the forum and learned of Ron's sad demise earlier this month. We weren't ignoring it, we just have had an intense time of our own!

Bonnie, Kath and I are so very sorry to learn of Ron's passing. He was one of the great one's, he will be missed. Take care.

Paul & Katherine Whitworth

Back