Portland Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could something so simple as when publishing the schedule, don't post the green flag time, but post the start time of the pace lap? If the session is shown lasting 32 or 33 minutes for a 30 minute race, not a problem. Using a 3 minute pace lap for example:

12:57 - 1:30 Group 5 (30 minute Race)
1:37 - 2:10 Group 6 (30 minute Race) etc. etc.

This shedule can be altered for each track as required.

Could the start times be shown any clearer? This would eliminate the need for high tech reverse math. Or am I being too simplistic?

And Kenny and Dave, please jump in with all the rules I just violated by showing a 30 minute race being longer than 30 miniutes. (it's probably in there somewhere)

I’m not here to debate you guys and this is the last I’ll have to say about it, but this is a nice mutual admiration society you’ve got going.

I simply wrote a story about my race weekend. It contains some comedy, some self deprecating humor and yes, some ridicule. The ridicule is directed at an un-named guy that happens to be a first rate a-hole – and it’s in there because it’s part of the story.

And, it’s my story, not yours – if you don’t like it, write your own. After a re-read, I see no personal attacks, and it’s pretty clear how I feel about the workers and the many people there with whom I have relationships. I’m flattered that so many of you spent the time to read it – thank you.

For those of you that are easily offended, skip the story and watch the video – it’s kind of fun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipFnnlCIgog

Those that know me (apparently nobody here) will tell you that I am the guy that spends time going over the rule book. I missed something in yours – it’s my fault and I wrote a story about it.

You guys do have a special knack for making simple things difficult, but it’s your deal. Fix it, don’t fix it, have another cocktail… I don’t care.

Maybe I’ll come back some day with a Pro3 car so I can irritate some people in a different run group… I am fully prepared to “START AT THE BACK!!!” :D

Regardless of how confusing the 5 minute warning may be, you don't need a rule book to know when you are supposed to be in grid. At the rule change meeting "the board" asked each member club to put a note on the schedule that said when the actual 5 minute warning would be. On the schedule for the above race it was clearly stated that the 5 was approx 8 minutes before published race start time. Ok so schedules slip, but common sense dictates it will always be 8 minutes before race start, whatever time that turns out to be.

Brian someone needs to surgically remove that burr from your butt. The 7## is to identify you as a person who potentially does not know the driving style of other drivers in a run group. Different organizations have different rules on "giving race room" and "presenting yourself for a pass", etc. If you run with ICSCC, or SCCA NWR, Or SOVREN, NASA often enough you get to know your fellow driver and even if you don't like their style, you deal with it without losing your cool. Road rage on track is not something that works, especially for club racing.
If you had approached that "first rate a-hole" with an open mind and calm attitude after the race you would have gotten his point of view and maybe learned something. You should well know by now that Rx7 first gens don't handle like Miatas and to stay competitive they have to be driven differently.

Just like you said Brian, if you don't like it don't come back. Your attitude and presentation through this entire thread is confrontational and argumentative. You contradict yourself when you speak of no personal attacks, yet you call a specific person an "A-Hole".

As for flattering yourself with thinking you have received compliments on your writing style and content I suggest you rethink it. The attitude you present is neither positive nor constructive. Ultimately you are the only loser because by not returning to Conference racing you do not get the seat time.

Since he WASN'T treated any differently than any of us, what the hell do we care what he thinks of Conference or our officials? Seriously, and aside from any natural inclination to defend our program, our officials, and our fellow competitors, why are we spending so much energy pointing out how wrong-headed this guy is? It's not like he's got a big platform to shout abuse and inaccurate information from, so why don't we just treat his petty and self-centered whining like the annoying fly-buzz it is?

I have zero tolerance for "drop-ins" to ANYthing that then piss and moan about how differently they were treated --when they weren't-- simply because nobody was willing to contort themselves to meet the drop-in's perception of how they should be treated.

Jeez, even Michael Schumacher and Ferrari (who actually HAVE a special deal with the organizing body) couldn't get special treatment when they wanted. What makes YOU so special?!

Maybe it's time to put this thread to bed.
We all have the choice to race and spend our money where we want.
Count our blessings that so many of us spend our time and money with Conference.

Brian:

>>And, it’s my story, not yours – if you don’t like it, write your own. After a re-read, I see no personal attacks, and it’s pretty clear how I feel about the workers and the many people there with whom I have relationships. I’m flattered that so many of you spent the time to read it – thank you.<<

I once read a book, (I forget the exact tittle) about everything I ever learn that is useful in life I learned in kindergarten.

I never went to kindergarten. In Cuba we did not have Kindergarten. We had first grade and very mean and bordering on sadistic nuns.

When we arrived in school we already had a very good understanding of the importance of living by the "published" rules. We never had the luxury of being trained to respect others or call people names. It was expected for everyone to know the rules or face the "penguins from hell" and their 16 inch metal rulers.

Arriving home with a nun's steel ruler produced welt in my ass, was a message for my parents that little me, required remedial training in following the "published" rule and various other disciplines.

I have often wondered why it is we can not start our engines before 9:00 AM and yet be at the grid at 9:00 AM ready to drive our race cars without warming up our engines, yet, ................... nobody bitches or complains because ..................... those are the rules!! No one questions as to why we can't sleep until all the drag racers go home after 11:00 PM after keeping the adjoining community awake until after 11:00 P.M. with substantially high decibel levels. For the most part no one complains and take it in stride because ............. those are their rules and their rules allow for such things.

Having the enormous privilege of being part of this wonderful sport makes those minor "inconveniences", ................... petty and insignificant. The painful and "obtuse" (from your point of view) 5 minute rule is, again, not a problem for us who learned to follow the "published" rules.

Perhaps we are in different cultural wave lengths but calling one of your fellow racers, publicly, an ass hole is by definition, .............. an insult. An insult, written or spoken, is an attack of a very personal nature.

As an incredibly lame defense, you inferred that it was your story and not ours. I got news for you, ................. IT IS our story. It is our racing conference and perhaps you should find a place where you don't have to follow the rules. Perhaps you should rewrite your own rules and start your own racing group where people have lawyers on retainer as part of their racing budgets.

I am hoping you will think seriously about everything you learned in Kindergarten and perhaps admit to yourself and to others that perhaps your approach to life is a little bit ................. arrogant.

I would not surprise me to hear a very loud explosion sometime in the future. The explosion will be caused when ...................... your head is forcefully pulled out your ass.

"J.C." Cuevas
Conference Racer, Rule Follower and Potential Candidate for your List of Ass Holes.

P.S. I would like to publicly express my gratitude to Sister Catalina of Havana, Cuba (RIP) for teaching me the importance of following the rules and ................. for the welts on my ass.

Geez, I go away for a few days and miss all the fun!
After watching the dozens of stewards stepping all over themselves back east last month it's hilarious that our SCCA 'friend' calls Hal "the grand pooba or whatever you call them." We have 2 well qualified stewards, well 3 including our NASTY tech stward, while this self proclaimed hot shot 'really fast Miata guy' deals constantly with a beauracratic mess that would make your head spin. Somehow that's okay, as illogical and over officious as they very often are, which is why SCCA to me is the wackiest bunch of people I know.
Ask me sometime about my experiences with stewards back in the day when I had my national license. Which is exactly why those of us who dare to be different, and enjoy huge grids with good racing (and only 2 stewards) play with Conference.
I hope the video was fun to watch, I sure as hell wouldn't waste my time looking at it. What a putz...

Wes, JC, Lynn, Randy, Greg, Steve, Ken and anyone else who is on the white hat side here..you know who ya are. Next time we are all at the track after a race look this old Okie up (the one is the OU hat) and I just HAVE to buy you all a beer.

Brian, I think you can use that creative imagination of yours and just figure what you get. :eek:

Hey, you “sensitive” types that came in late weren’t supposed to read the story – there was fair warning and everything… As your unsolicited therapist, my advice is for you all to lighten up.

I would like to thank all of you for the significant role you played in making that post the most rapidly distributed piece I’ve written recently - several hundred views over the past two days. That’s pretty good. Conference is famous – well, more famous than it was two days ago.

And, there is an interesting new development, but I prefer to let the License Director share it with you.:eek:

Randy?

"I would like to thank all of you for the significant role you played in making that post the most rapidly distributed piece I’ve written recently - several hundred views over the past two days. That’s pretty good."

It's kind of like watching a trainwreck, actually ...

Bonnie I love how you can say so little and yet say so much. I love the perspective that you bring to this forum. Isn't free speech fun?

While I wasn't at the race, and I do take issues with the way that Brian has characterized ICSCC, he is entitled to express his opinions.

Brian, as far as I'm concerned, our discussion is a private matter between you, me, and the volunteers that make up the Conference administration.

Since I started this thread --for an entirely different purpose-- can I call an end to it?

Enough said already, I think. We've got some racecars to prep.

It's not my job to run the train, the whistle I can't blow.
It's not my job to say how far the train's allowed to go.
It's not my job to let off steam, or even clang the bell.
But let the damn thing jump the track,
And see who catches HELL.

I just could not resist.

Thanks, Bonnie.

Brian,
Real racer's love racing and will do anything to keep it going and make it better. Publishing an article that could potentially drive people away from conference racing does not fall into that category.

Hey, you “sensitive” types that came in late weren’t supposed to read the story – there was fair warning and everything… As your unsolicited therapist, my advice is for you all to lighten up.
Director share it with you.:eek:

Brian:

............ and now you are a therapist?

When I was a novice I read the following, it was written in very simple English that even a racer whose English is his third language could adequately understand. This is verbatim.

International Conference of Sports Car Clubs

Novice Handbook​

Section 8 - Waiting for Green

8.1 Pre-Grid (10 minutes prior to practice or race)

GET TO PRE-GRID ON TIME.
Check the schedule and listen to the track announcer for your call. The Pre-Grid Marshals will tell you what grid spot your are in and direct you there.

In pre-grid you must shut your car off at the five-minute warning. At the "5" you should be ready to race. If you have a camera it should be rolling, before you are strapped in place. If you have crew they should start your camera in time to leave before the "1 minute whistle".

You will start your engine again at the one-minute warning, at which time your crew must leave the grid. If your car fails to start on its own, or if a crew member touches the car after the one-minute warning, you must start at the back of the field.

When your car is started after the one-minute mark and you are ready to go, raise your index finger to let the pre-grid workers know you are ready.

IF YOU ARRIVE AT PRE-GRID AFTER THE FIVE-MINUTE WARNING, YOU FORFEIT YOUR GRID POSITION AND START AT THE BACK OF THE FIELD.
If you arrive early you have time to get your mind into competition driving, to drive that perfect lap in your head, and to concentrate on the task at hand. LATE COMERS SELDOM ARE IN THE RIGHT MINDSET.

For Novice races, the License Director determines the starting order and appoints the pole position.

Why is all this so incredibly difficult for you to understand?

J.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back