Pacific Raceways Turn 9 query

....As far as I am concerned, a far greater issue is the absolutely horrific road surface on both T2 and T8. The shredding the tires take while grating over the harsh surface is unbelievable.

Yup. One of the FB drivers said going through T2 and T8 is like driving on 'needles' made out of rock instead of pavement.

I was just thinking (which I only due once in a while cause of the pain). We lost and FB, FC and D/SR to Turn 9 on Monday. But if I recall correctly there was an FM in to 'the wall' somewhere on Sat. or Sun. If it was T9, that corner claimed over $135,000 worth the cars not slightly over 100K :(

It's getting to be an expensive corner! :mad:

Last edited:
No one has commented on my question about Pacific Raceway's renovation plan. Is that because no one has any information?

We as a collective group of racers have done quite a bit in the last few years (as far as getting PIR repaved and the construction of ORP...) What sort of effort would need to be put forth to repave Pacific?

People are pointing out specific areas of the track, but really the majority of the track surface could use work. 2, curbing on inside of 3a, 3b, redo the entrance of 5 to reduce cars being collected in "the wall", 6, 7, 8, and yes 9.

If you early apex t9, the bump's a problem.
If you enter t9 tight to the wall, the bump's no good.

If you late apex it from mid- track or further driver's left,
you don't know what we're talking about!

Personally, I hate it for historical reasons...

t

To partially answer your question Mr. Clinton, the long term plans do (or did) include an oval basically smack dab in the middle of the complex, but with the road course pretty much intact. Part of the plan per Jason was to move turn 2 further west toward the moto track and of course have our front striaght pass thru the oval. They also want to move the drag strip out where the current entrance road is now, so parallel to the new kart track. They would also like to drop it down with berms on either side like Spokane to alleviate some of the noise. It all came together on the drawings I saw, but not so sure it's very clear on the master plan they have on their website.

To partially answer your question Mr. Clinton, the long term plans do (or did) include an oval basically smack dab in the middle of the complex, but with the road course pretty much intact. Part of the plan per Jason was to move turn 2 further west toward the moto track and of course have our front striaght pass thru the oval. They also want to move the drag strip out where the current entrance road is now, so parallel to the new kart track. They would also like to drop it down with berms on either side like Spokane to alleviate some of the noise. It all came together on the drawings I saw, but not so sure it's very clear on the master plan they have on their website.

Yeah I kind of got the drift of the changes to the drag strip and our course... I'm more curious for a status update, or to find out what we as a group can do to expedite the renovation of the road course. Is Steve Caputo (sp?) on these forums?

IMPROVEMENTS:
Things I've seen or heard. Fact or friction I don't know.

The permit paper work to move the drag strip is posted at the entrance. Far's I know the drag stip will move on the 'far side' of the Kart track from where the entrance road is now.
Understand there's a permit request in to 'shave' 16 inch's of gravel out of the area where the drag strip is going. A personal note... shock at the value of that 16" of gravel if what I was told is accurate.
Please be aware, that oval "appeared" on the improvements map at the exact time NASCAR was considering building a track on the peninsula or in Snohomish County. Neither of which did the idiotic State and local Govment people see the economic benefit of. Yes Sally, a NASCAR track typically brings in about $85 Million a year to the local economy.

As an aside, looking at the 'oval' overlay on the Pacific Raceway plan, I don't think it would work, really. To get any kind of radius to the 'circle track' corners in the width available would be difficult requiring a massive land fill on the back side. I don't think NASCAR is looking for another track with kinks and tight radii tighter then Phoenix. Nor do I think, are they looking for a semi-oval with a 130' elevation change. Furthermore, on the acreage available, you'd need to take up every remaining square inch for specator parking of more then 50,000 cars trucks and campers.

Last edited:
I personally believe that it is a toss up to which is more atuned to the pulse of everything racing; you or Mr. Killam. One of you needs to approach Mr. Fiorito or Mr. Caputo and get answers to the burning questions that plague us all.
Do you think they'll actually respond? Is this a rhetorical thread?

I CARE BECAUSE:

When I first saw the Pacific, my reaction was.. 'What a GREAT TRACK'! The layout should be included in a HANDFULL of the finest in the country. On the west coast second only to Laguna Seca with the potential to be even better. My opinion isn't worth the space on the web this post is taking up but it's been confirmed by drivers from other parts of the country who have towed in and have experience on many of the nations finest.

It's a scenic beauty. If the improvements are done properly and maintain the 'feeling' of a 'woodlands track' it will be able to draw top notch series and drivers and be a real crowd pleaser.

It has a LONG tradition. Although not as well known as Road Atlanta, Road America or Laguna, it has hosted many of the old time series with success. With proper 'revival' such as VIR under went it can be glorious again!

It's a priceless gem in that it's close to a major metro area yet secluded in its setting. As a racing facility it would be impossible to replace. It's OUR home track and should be supported in every way possible to prevent its loss.

It's a huge financial investment to complete the renovations. But the track owners WILL recover their money and turn a profit very quickly if properly run and promoted. In addition, the positive financial impact on the surrounding towns will be enormous.

I for one have all digits crossed that Jason is successful in raising the capital and drawing the support needed for this project.

Am I 'tuned in' to what's happening? Nope, but I care. Do I wish it would move along faster? Yup. But just so it stays on the path I'll be happy.

Do I wish some intermediate fixes and repairs were done to T2, T8 and T9? Yup, mainly because of the pace of the project, I don't see the MASSIVE changes needed to the road racing track to meet FIA standards happening for at least another 3 to 4 years.

BUT THERE IS HOPE!!
Please look closely at the proposed improvements map. I DO believe once the drag strip work begins (which seems close), the T2 area is going to have to be reconfigured to allow space for the drag strip runout area. Might be wrong if the scale and proportions are wrong but it sure looks like it. And while they're doing that, maybe they can throw some asphalt on T8 :)

Last edited:
Actually, it is not impossible to have a track in our metro area with a secluded setting and excellent features, including a suitable racing surface. Not to mention a magnificent view. Stay tuned.

Actually, it is not impossible to have a track in our metro area with a secluded setting and excellent features, including a suitable racing surface. Not to mention a magnificent view. Stay tuned.

I think Randy's signature ought to say: "Mystery Extraordinaire"

You never know what he has up his sleeve :)

I agree Richard. I would love to see a pro series out at Pacific (again). I think you are right on about the layout.

Not a bad guess Steve, but not what I have in mind. Dream big.

If some relatively uncrowded semi-urban areas couldn't see the value in a NASCAR-oriented facility, I have a hard time picturing anything else.

So I'll dream big, all right, but this might fall into the same "big dreaming" category as lotteries. More hints would be wonderful, tho'.

If the rather cryptic point you're making is that communities that might've balked at the downsides of a NASCAR track (for example) in the past would have a different perspective now that the economic benefits might be viewed more favorably in comparison, I'd have to disagree over one word that was an issue before and would likely be one now: taxes.

Back