ORP Update-

We have no cat in this fight. IF the race is on and the car is in good condition and Jeff is still 'okay' at his job, we will (maybe) attend the ORP inaugural race. It would be a real experience!

I was under the impression that ORP is indeed ON the schedule but classified as tentitive only based upon the track being ready for racing. Yes? No? Until comments in this thread were made, I've heard no talk of well, it's still a maybe for ANY other reason then the track being ready including all of the factors previously mentioned.

Considering that FEW people actually put their entry's in until about 2 weeks before an event, I don't understand the 'rush' to know if the race is 'on' or not. Sure, it's nice to have as much advance warning as possible (which we've 'effectively' had with it LISTED on the schedule!). The necessary steps are moving along at a reasonable pace! There are literally dozens of videos on the web for MC's turning endless laps at ORP already and it looks like it's in pretty good shape. Whatever issues the SCCA found are probably relatively minor considering there are few objects to hit and runoff areas are most likely NOT an issue.

I'd say if things aren't totally cleared up by Sept. 15th the race should be cancelled. Baring that, GO FOR IT!!

Of course guys who plan on running the Enduro the next weekend might not be real happy with this. BUT that's the date that WAS set in January and that's what we've got to work with. Hopefully, being the 1st real championship race on the track (ever), ICSCC/TC will get some 'gift' of priority in selecting our weekend in 2010! :D ;)

Yes Holly, it does appear there is politics afloat that most of us know nothing about. If that is true then someone needs to post the issues holding this back so we as a drivers organization really know what's happening. I realize it's rarely that simple but keeping secrets is not the way to handle these things.
It was my understanding that it was going to take place whether it was a sanctioned points race or non-points, is that not true?

I recall when IRDC was helping Northwest Motorsports and TC to bring Spokane Raceway Park online several years ago. We had groups of dedicated people make several trips to Spokane, working hand in hand with the local Conference members to take care of all the details that had to be addressed to make that first race viable. SRP has gone through several years of rocky existence in its brief road racing history. We, as Conference members, have continued to support that venue through all its troubles.

ORP is another venue that has been conceived to allow our collective vision, amatuer road racing in the Pacific Northwest, to be realized. Every track that Conference has raced on has come under attack from one source or another. Several have succumbed to those attacks and are no longer places where we can race. Remember the racing at Westwood, Deer Park, Olympia Airport, Port Orford, Tri-Cities? I'm sure there are others that I've failed to mention. And, that list doesn't include potential venues that Conference members tried to develop that never made it to the green flag.

I guess what I'm getting at is that lots of folks have poured their hearts and souls and finances into making ORP a reality. It's on the threshhold of viability and those folks need to have it operational in order to keep the gates open. They also deserve the intangible reward of seeing their collective dream as a functional reality.

We all know how much we hate to sit in pregrid and wait for a track that's green and ready. Let's support ORP and TC and everyone else that's associated with this project in every way we can.

That's just my $0.02.

Your mileage may vary...

Ken,

I don't know if our (omg hate to say it) insurance carriers would cover an actual "Race Event", chamionship points or not, without the sanction.
I believe there is a difference between school/lapping days/test&tune and a race, in so far as the powers to be are concerned. (I know verbage, verbage, verbage.)

I believe, that our Race Insurance Advisor could clear that one up. Care to jump in Scott?

I am sure that the SCCA is handling things as quickly as they can with what they have, but unfortunately that translates down the line, to our EBoard not being able to anything until SCCA does. (It's kinda like being pregnant.....you know the day is coming but you still just have to wait.)
Bearing in mind that our EBoard wants to get out there and race as well as the rest of us. (I am looking forward to working in my appointed tree house and watch a huge grid of racers undulate through the vista...gonna be one hell of a sight)
So now we just wait for the baby.

To add to Ken's comments re safety and certification, we don't really want them to run a race before the safety issues have been completely resolved, now do we? It's not an issue of whether it's being treated the same as Seattle, etc. It's an issue of making sure the track is as safe as it can be when we get out there wheel-to-wheel, passing in the corners, with the red haze closing in, on a track where you can't lose concentration for even a moment. Totally different than a club track day. Totally different than any of the other tracks we run in ICSCC.

I think Ken's and Lynn's posts point out quite a few reasonable things, and it sounds like now we just need to be patient. It doesn't take much to plan to attend the race, but cancel plans if it turns out to not happen. Just think of the extra money in your bank account if there's no race...

If you have a problem with anything the e-board has done, it seems that problem should be brought to them. Then maybe consider volunteering to join that group of people next year...

Lets get it done!

I'm in with 4 to 6 entries in my car. Hal needs a little seat time before the 12 hours. Are you in?

I have a new cylinder head now so I won't be so damn slow on the staights!!!:eek:

Rick
G2/5#5

Maybe I’m just old, but I just don’t understand the problem…. There’s lots of time. As to the insurance deal, back in my day, [we used FAX machines], I could get a motor sports event insured in 72 hours max. One time there was some screw-up with a [then] SIR race and Rockstad didn’t get the paperwork until late Friday, nobody even knew, and the race happened. Couple times it cost Conference a few bottles of nice Washington wine… Even back then the E-Board had secret meetings… ORP has been on the schedule all year, if the racers aren’t ready to go, well then… Tough. As I used to say to Chris Bowl; ‘You want cheese with your whine?’

Trout; I would amend your post just slightly… It was IRDC who brought Spokane on line. I seem to remember that we ran a couple races over there then turned it over to TC and later on NWMS. You were IRDC ‘Prez’ then as I remember it.

Rick!! Nice to hear from you!!

Thanks for the memory, Chip!

Mine seems to be "random access" now days. I don't have a problem with remembering anything... I just have problems recalling what's stored in my memory.

My recollection is that IRDC had a geographical jurisdiction and the others didn't. So we brought the track "on-line" so that the other clubs could later take responsibilty for putting on the races once they were able to flesh out their organizational structure. We were sort of like a brood hen and took them under our wing until they were able to fend for themselves. I must say that they learned well. Both of those clubs put on really great events and have for as long as I can remember (maybe that's the wrong thing to say).

Getting old Chip? I think we're officially there brother.

Full course clockwise is what I had invisioned for ORP Tobias, would that make a difference somehow?

I remember hearing that they were designing the track to be run in either direction. I thought at the time it was an interesting idea but in time it would evolve to be run one way, owing to the fact that to set up run offs, tire walls, turn stations, to run in direction you'd probably have to move them from where they were for running in the other direction. I haven't seen the facility except in pictures but I can imagine turning the facility around to run in the opposite direction could easily be a half or full day evolution.

it really isnt that difficult to set it up for both directions. Most of the turn stations ( except two of them) are in great positions for both directions. The bigg thing is run off. Theres alot of room both directions but needs a little fine tuning for counter clockwise. They just need to add a turn station in a couple of spots to be used only in the counter position. If that was done i dont see any major reasons it can be run both directions for racing. You really have to check this facility out. It is really amazing and is the only place ive seen of of the slower cars (Like Billy murry's fiero) absolutly fly around this course. It really and truly is a drivers track.

I'm sorry, but there is just a lot of bullcrap in this thread and the other as well.

I guess I will go through the usual required disclaimer - I really like both of the Hankens and I hope they still feel the same way about me. I am an absolute supporter of what is being done by T.C. and ORP to bring a new and exciting track into our region - we will have a richness of venues that other regions of the country just dream about.

That being said - let's cut all the conspiracy theory crap and the idea that the E-Board is some kind of secret cabal plotting to ruin your life just for giggles. If some of you have trouble remembering, the E-Board rep is each member club's "ambassador" to Conference. He is there to represent the interests of his member club to ICSCC as a whole. That person is a VOLUNTEER committed to representing the majority of his constituency. I'm a part of the Board of IRDC, duly elected and serving the needs of my fellow IRDC members. We solicit input from our members both in the form of advisory votes and in routine communication with their officers all the time. We take that info and discuss it at IRDC board and public members meetings and convey our interpretation on what will best benefit our members to our E-Board rep, Al Carton, who then represents IRDC's views to Conference. What typically happens in controversial topics is that those who get the decision they want stay pretty silent and are never represented on the forum. Those that DON'T get what they want holler about how Conference has gone completely to the dogs and the world is coming to horrible end and the illuminati are trying to steal their ice cream. Come on folks - we are VOLUNTEERS elected by the membership just trying to do the best we can for the people that we represent. If you have strong feelings on an issue I am always ready to hear your side and if your opinion is in the majority I will represent it even if I don't agree with it. If you have never taken the time to say Hi to Al Carton at a meeting or race you should. I don't think it will take you long to figure our that he isn't really the kind of guy who would be making secret pacts with the New World Order to screw up your race schedule. To the best of my knowledge he is not responsible for cattle mutilations or crop circles either, if that is any comfort.

If you want a voice in your club's decisions it's pretty easy to do in a lot fo different ways. Show up at meetings, show up at races, talk to your club officers, talk to your fellow racers. Vote on rules that you want your club and the ICSCC to be operated under, or god forbid, run for an officer position in your club and become one of those shadowy leaders with the power to ram unpopular decisions up the backside of your poor unsuspecting racing bretheren.

I don't even know Kevin Skinner personally, but I don't envy him his position having to look like the bad guy in this decision becasue either way there are some members who will not be happy. I understand that ORP wants to get the ball rolling and that the revenues are important to both ORP and TC. Those are very real concerns especially in this economy and I want to see both of those entities succeed. On the other hand, I can understand why the membership has a reason to expect Conference to provide solid schedules that allow them to plan the time, logistics, and points impact that a race entails. There are people who are already impacted by this decision if their points planning included double points at the last race and that is now not going to happen.

I would be remiss in not noting that after studying the weather almanac for the region that while rain is pretty infrequent in Grass Valley in October, when it does come it is the half inch an hour variety for three or four days. Couple that with learning a new track and the potential of temperatures that could be 70 during the day and 30 at night and it all seems a bit daunting. I'm lucky enough to have a motorhome to sleep in - are there enough hotels in the area to support a full grid? Tents are probably not going to be very comfortable in those temperatures.

Full course clockwise is what I had invisioned for ORP Tobias, would that make a difference somehow?

Hugely, if you were thinking about a track day in advance to get a jump on the competition...

t

"Hugely, if you were thinking about a track day in advance to get a jump on the competition..."

Ah, I see...

Rick, If a little water worries ya, maybe you should jump into a Legends car. We always run rain tires no matter what the weather. Then you can come up to Anchorage Alaska in March next year with us and run the street race through downtown in the snow and ice. Last year it was a balmy 9 degrees for the first race. Had to wear the fur lined thong for the race!
Cheers,
Norm

The ICSCC Inaugural race at ORP will be Inaugural if it is held this year or next year. Doesn't change that. Will ICSCC have the first "race" there?? Who knows, that is up to STAR isn't it? Not even TC has a choice in that because it is not owned by TC.

I planned on being there this fall, and if they have a non-championship race I will try to be there. I wish ORP all the luck and success. They started a huge undertaking and are getting there, not as easily as they had hoped, but they are. Congrat's.

Fur-lined thong??? Dare I ask who fitted you for it?

Kyle,

STAR Projects is just another user, no different than say, the Corvette Club.

And you are very correct with the presumption that as SCCA National accepts Oregon Raceway Park as a sanctionable road racing facility, then the date-grab is on. Any number of other sanctioning bodies may be interested in applying for dates at the track. We've already seen what happens when a club drops a date. The next year someone has grabbed it up, and it's all too bad for them. :(

First come, first served. Just like any points race. :)

I'm sorry, but there is just a lot of bullcrap in this thread and the other as well.

I guess I will go through the usual required disclaimer - I really like both of the Hankens and I hope they still feel the same way about me. I am an absolute supporter of what is being done by T.C. and ORP to bring a new and exciting track into our region - we will have a richness of venues that other regions of the country just dream about.

That being said - let's cut all the conspiracy theory crap and the idea that the E-Board is some kind of secret cabal plotting to ruin your life just for giggles. If some of you have trouble remembering, the E-Board rep is each member club's "ambassador" to Conference. He is there to represent the interests of his member club to ICSCC as a whole. That person is a VOLUNTEER committed to representing the majority of his constituency. I'm a part of the Board of IRDC, duly elected and serving the needs of my fellow IRDC members. We solicit input from our members both in the form of advisory votes and in routine communication with their officers all the time. We take that info and discuss it at IRDC board and public members meetings and convey our interpretation on what will best benefit our members to our E-Board rep, Al Carton, who then represents IRDC's views to Conference. What typically happens in controversial topics is that those who get the decision they want stay pretty silent and are never represented on the forum. Those that DON'T get what they want holler about how Conference has gone completely to the dogs and the world is coming to horrible end and the illuminati are trying to steal their ice cream. Come on folks - we are VOLUNTEERS elected by the membership just trying to do the best we can for the people that we represent. If you have strong feelings on an issue I am always ready to hear your side and if your opinion is in the majority I will represent it even if I don't agree with it. If you have never taken the time to say Hi to Al Carton at a meeting or race you should. I don't think it will take you long to figure our that he isn't really the kind of guy who would be making secret pacts with the New World Order to screw up your race schedule. To the best of my knowledge he is not responsible for cattle mutilations or crop circles either, if that is any comfort.

If you want a voice in your club's decisions it's pretty easy to do in a lot fo different ways. Show up at meetings, show up at races, talk to your club officers, talk to your fellow racers. Vote on rules that you want your club and the ICSCC to be operated under, or god forbid, run for an officer position in your club and become one of those shadowy leaders with the power to ram unpopular decisions up the backside of your poor unsuspecting racing bretheren.

I don't even know Kevin Skinner personally, but I don't envy him his position having to look like the bad guy in this decision becasue either way there are some members who will not be happy. I understand that ORP wants to get the ball rolling and that the revenues are important to both ORP and TC. Those are very real concerns especially in this economy and I want to see both of those entities succeed. On the other hand, I can understand why the membership has a reason to expect Conference to provide solid schedules that allow them to plan the time, logistics, and points impact that a race entails. There are people who are already impacted by this decision if their points planning included double points at the last race and that is now not going to happen.

I would be remiss in not noting that after studying the weather almanac for the region that while rain is pretty infrequent in Grass Valley in October, when it does come it is the half inch an hour variety for three or four days. Couple that with learning a new track and the potential of temperatures that could be 70 during the day and 30 at night and it all seems a bit daunting. I'm lucky enough to have a motorhome to sleep in - are there enough hotels in the area to support a full grid? Tents are probably not going to be very comfortable in those temperatures.

Rick,
I think a lot of the conspiracy theorizing is a question surrounding how the ICSCC president can come out with a decision about the ORP race when the E-Board is the one to make the decision and that board hasn't voted yet?

I think there are a number of questions surrounding the why's.

I have 3 entries ready to go for the ORP race, its been on the calender all year and as such we have planned from the get go to attend this event.

Jonathan

Back