ORP Update-

Steve Leonard

Greetings Fellow Racers, I know many of you have been anxiously awaiting news regarding ORP. Here's the absolute latest:
The paving of Blagg Lane from Highway 97 to the ORP Main Gate was completed yesterday 8/20 at 5pm.
On Tuesday 8/18 myself, Bret Blackstone ORP Property Manager and his staff were present while Robert Barnard world reknowned race track designer/builder/consultant and Gary Meeker NORPAC Division Deputy Executive Steward for SCCA conducted the official review for certification.
The following is a direct quote from the first paragraph of their findings:

"Following my inspection of the Oregon Raceway Park motorsport facility on August 18, 2009 I am pleased to confirm that I will be recommending to the Sports Car Club of America, SCCA, thath the track be certified as meeting the standards for the staging of SCCA events on the full course in a clockwise direction once the following safety items that were discussed with track mangement have been completed. All comments relate to a clockwise direction."

The "to do" list is relatively short, straight forward and inexpensive. The ownership, management and staff of ORP are committed to completing the list in time for ICSCC to be the first group to actually race on this excellent track. The membership of Team Continental is also comitted to staging the scheduled Driver's Training on October 9, 2009 and a Double Points ICSCC Chanpionship Race October 10 and 11, 2009.

I ask that each and every one of you contact your ICSCC E Board Represenative and express your support for this event and to contact myself, Mark Hanken TC President or Scott Hanken TC E Board rep to let us know that you are willing to help. Thank you.

Steve Leonard
2009 TC Race Chairman

Thanks, Steve.

It was no easy task, and I know that you kick some serious... by-product out of the way on that uphill task.

Now, I guess it'll all roll downhill.

A totally unofficial comment:
I am happy for you, and TC & ORP's progress.
I accept that everyone in leadership has been proceeding with
the best of good intentions for all.
But this has gotten way past the point of being ridiculous.

The schedule should be put out in January (although I can not
see that right now in rules or policy manuals).
Why? - so people can make their plans and pin down dates
for their individual goals and wishes.
It is now well past the middle of AUGUST!!!
The rules in Chapter 5 detail number of races and number
of entries required. And in the last half of August we still
do not know what is the requirement!!
BAD FORM!
IMHO even if the race is held, the E Board should use the earlier
confirmed races on the schedule for the 2009 Chapter 5 requirements.

Lee - I hope you're happy for yourself and Conference too.

This is the first ever, built for Conference racing, by Conference racers race track anywhere in the United States!

It's exciting to think about all the new drivers and workers that could make racing a reality from this geographic area who will now be able to have a home track. Those will be new Conference drivers, paying driver levies to Conference.

My perception, completely unofficial...in response to your post is that TC and ORP have said all along they would be ready. They will meet their obligations. It is surprising to me that Conference has done so little to help TC in their efforts. Especially, in the face of so much Conference potential in Grass Valley. This can be a reality, a Conference race track for Conference racers!!!!

Drivers I hope you do make the support calls and emails to your EB Reps as soon as possible. Time is short! They need to come out with their positions, you need to ask them that.

Don't think they have been supportive of ORP just because you think it's natural for them to be. There are agendas that we don't know about. Ask them how they voted, how they will vote. Don't they owe you an answer?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Holly I'm confused, as usual. Is there a question that we won't be racing there this year? It has been on the Conference schedule all along, so what am I missing? Why would I need to call my EB rep?

Holly
I am sorry but I need to make corrections to your email.
ORP is a race track being built by a group of investors, as a commercial venture and has no legal affiliation with ICSCC. Team Continental is a member club of ICSCC and has applied to have Grass Valley and ORP within its territory so as to operate ICSCC races. I believe there are ICSCC members who have invested in ORP as individuals but ICSCC does not own or have any voice in the construction or the operation of the track. ORP will join the ICSCC family with exactly the same status as Portland, Seattle, Spokane and Mission.
TC has gone above and beyond in their efforts to bring ORP on line and have had the support of the e-board throughout.
Thank you
Kevin Skinner

I believe many of the e board reps have been behind the track the whole time. Myself would love to see the race take place and have full backing from all the clubs. The eboard has help out a lot but i think there are some people ( wont mention names) that have been trying to see all the progress be erased. I hope everyone get a chance to see this amazing facility if they have not already. This is the future of racing in the pacific northwest. I would also like to see conference and tc be the first to race there. I know many other groups including scca and nasa have been waiting for this track to get certified. I would hate to see them be the first to hold a championship race before we do. I hope everyone can talk to your eboard reps to help get this race in this season.

I would also like to thank Steve and everyone involved as they have done more work in a month then many people do in a year. Great job and thanks again.

Hmmm...

Geez, ya know, I'm not getting any error corrections out of that, Mr. Skinner.

I don't see where Holly implies any legal affiliation with ICSCC, nor indicates that ICSCC has any real holdings in any of the other road racing facilities that are used to hold events presented by the member clubs while sanctioned by ICSCC.

As it is also true that ICSCC has no specific operational influence with the management of ORP, nor the other tracks, they are indirectly influential in those operations through those same member clubs that host the sanction's events at all of those locations.

This is the first brand-spankin', ground up, new permanent road racing facility that the "Conference" has ever had the opportunity to be a true, and active participant of. Some only dream of it.

Team Continental is striving, and with these validated accomplishments, to make "Conference" history. They don't really need a lawyer for that. Just some guts. TC is not on the short list for that.

I believe that for these reasons alone ICSCC's absolute support, beyond emotional, and via the unbiased representation of each 'Conference' club on the Executive Board is so important in this pioneering effort.

All clubs being equal, please don't let these efforts drown in a quagmire of some vague technicality.

I know for fact that underwriters do not use a chisel to create a contract.

Hi Ken
Leslie Skinner here, SCCBC executive member, and current Conference 1st lady.
With reference to Conference history, it was approximately fifteen years ago SCCBC brought Mission Raceway Park, "a permanent road racing facility" into the ICSCC family. There was at the time no existing road course, only a drag strip at Mission and our club paid for the pavement and development of this facility. The SCCBC continues to invest it's own money to grow and improve Rivers Edge Road Course with the support of the ICSCC membership.

D'oh--

So right you are Leslie,

I thank you, and apologize for failing to recognize that very important fact. I suppose in my zeal to support these recent efforts, and having not had the personal opportunity to experience the Mission Raceway Park, I overlooked that equally proud moment in SCCBC's history when they took the initiative, and played an intregal part in the development, and transformation of a straight-line track, thus creating within it a totally new dimension for the motor sports industry.

Especially these days, diversification is a tested, and true survival tactic.

As I'm sure that the direct comparison is not lost on the membership of SCCBC, nor all of those individuals which we recognize as the Conference, the many difficulties that must be overcome with the creation, maintenance, and improvements of that, or any new facility.

CSCC, ORSCCA, and TC have, for these many years, been very involved, and thoroughly committed to Portland Int'l Raceway's survival. There to endure the many ordeals, and celebrate the successes to simply create an environment for the venue to remain a solvent, and productive road racing facility within a very densly populated area.

Mucho politico, don'tcha know.

It is my sincere hope that the representatives from SCCBC, will remember the kind of positive support that they required, to get that facility on line, and extend that same support to further the current endeavors to add another facility to the Conference menu.

Let's share, at least this common bond across two borders.

Last edited:
i Couldnt agree more ken. I feel this is a great oppertunity for everyone to feel the same way they felt when Mission was established. This is an oppertunity of a life time. I ( not being old enough) could only amagine what it was like to get a race track built and finally raced on for the first time. I would like every on to remember that feeling as that is what i want to feel when we get to race at ORP. I have been working with many people and cant wait to get out there for the first race. I want to be able to have my first ever race at ORP when i get the oppertunity to drive.

I would like to ask a question, at the risk of upsetting some people. Is there a reason to rush into this proposed event for 2008? Could not this inaugural Conference sanctioned event be held early next year instead of this October so the track can be fully prepped and completed?
It's very late in the season, and this was supposed to be ironed out months ago. I know the E-board has extended the deadline numerous times starting in the spring, and at this late date I'd assume it is putting pressure on the other clubs who still have races to run.
It of course is also putting pressure on drivers running for season points, and they need to know for sure what's up, and they need to know now. I also assume that our E-board still can't approve the race because there exists a 'to-do' list per Steve that needs to be completed before final approval can be given. So until that is complete this whole issue remains in limbo.
Can anyone say with certainty that these items will be completed quickly enough to make the deadline for the required memo announcement?

the only problem i see with waiting until next year is how do we know that confrence will give us a race early in the year. Theres no way of knowing until the e board meeting. If the meeting takes place and all of this work has ben completed, whos to say the e board wont shut out the idea of racing at orp or TC having a race. They shut out tc in the meeting this last year. I just think if we can get a race this year, this will open up oppertunity for everyone. The list is something that the e board can tell you about but from what i have heard theres no reason the minor issue cant be resolved by the proposed race date. They (tc and ORP) just need a little more time to out the finishing touches on very beautiful thing. I dont think everyone realizes what this group of people have gone through to get this facility up and running. There are way to many people who are sceptical. The ORP group wants nothing more then to see this happen. It not just TC. ITs everyone who has been involved (ORP, TC, The town, The highschool Students, The men and women that are behind the scenes doing all the hard labor to bring us a new track.) Come on guys, Im I the only one who sees this. Its about the small town who is waiting on us to bring them a form of entertainment many only get to dream about in their hometowns.

Last edited:
Hey folks, it is apparent to me that we are ALL on the same side..Sure there are concerns here and there, or maybe an impression of wrong done somewhere, but the overall good that is shown in Conference and the support of its Clubs by all the sister Clubs is far and above what you'd experience in any other racing organization.

I don't see Brian T throwing his two cents in so it must be all good (Sorry, couldn't resist that jab).

I don't see how TC was shut out by the E-Board though. They have a tough job to do, supporting every Club equally and having to go with a sure thing, yet offer the possibility if things changed. Looks to me like they got it pretty well right on.

GREAT JOB STAR PROJECTS, TC, ORP and everyone involved. I certainly plan on making that trip this fall..... YEEEE Haaawwww...

Wes, I think you meant a race at ORP for 2009 maybe?

As for TC being shut out. This is were the liability, legaleeze, permits, and the almighty pesos come into play. Race weekends coud not be put on the schedule until all the above had been met. It's just that simple and that complicated. I do know that a lot of it centered around the insurance, which we cannot run without, and we do have to meet the carrier's criteria. (and there are not gobs of carriers out there for car racing)

Deadlines were set and extensions given and then given again in order to keep the ORP race on the calendar. I for one, was pleased to see that the race date was always left as tenative and not changed to "Cancelled" after the first few hurdles, which it could have been.

TC had no control over the pace of how all of the above moved along and I can't imagine the frustration they sometimes had to deal with.(who would have thought that building tire walls with old beat up tires could become a permitted/licensed/engineered up the wazoo project?)

I also know Cascade offered to forgo their April '09 points race weekend in order to open up another weekend for a TC race.

Was there some other assistance that ICSCC and the other 4 member clubs could have offered? If there was something out there, that TC felt was hindering their efforts, (and this seems to be aimed at the EBoard) it is not for public consumption. There are always things that go on behind the scenes, and though TC has surely been behind the 8 ball to get this race to be a happening event, TC nor the EBoard has a magic wand.

In so far as knowing if ICSCC will give ORP an ealy race for 2010.......the member clubs ALL have landlords.....these landlords also have other organizations lined up for track time....it is quite a balancing act. They all have to wait for their respective landlords to give them the go ahead for the weekends they have requested before the clubs can even attempt to pull together a schedule. None of the member clubs can afford to give up a track weekend as we know they won't be able to get it back.

All 5 member clubs will work together to have races and if that means a crazy jammed packed schedule for 2010 that's how it will be. The clubs have in the past put their dates on the table and then sometimes juggled and swapped and traded to make it all work. A lot of this is simply out of our hands.
Don't forget that there is also SCCA, CACC, Sovern, Historics, Pro Events, etc thrown in for more of a logistical hurdle to avoid conflicts. (A race at ORP and a race at PIR for Oregon region. Which pool of volunteers are going to be selected to cover both weekends. Easy....there is only one pool....oh ah problem.)

I know I have been rattling on, but given the tendancy for a bit of in fighting (with another post) now is not the time for dissention amongst us. We all want ORP and our member club Team Continental to succeed.

I believe that YOU do want TC to succeed, Lynn. You too, Wes.

After today has passed, I hope someone who really knows what has gone on will post each fact. Because those of us in Portland are hearing vastly different representations.

My knowledge of insurance (I actually do) makes me think of this:
Why if it's an insurance issue would TC be allowed to have a non-points race?
Why if it's an insurance issue would none of the other tracks be required to show SCCA certification?
Why if it's an insurance issue would there be no UW directive?
Has the request for insurance form been presented to the ICSCC Insurer?
Why do the other organizations with the same insurance run at ORP? Timed vs. un-timed event is just a box to check on the event request form, then the UW can decide if it's written.

We read above that TC has had the EB support through-out. Really? It would be helpful to hear what the EB considers support. Not, what our perceptions of support are.

I heard a rumor, but, no one has cleared it up that The EB has held at least one Special EB Meeting specifically excluding TC. That doesn't sound like support.

Yes dear, I meant 09' of course. Slip of the finger, again.
I am fully aware of the annual scheduling dance having served on the E-board for a number of years, but that most always plays out pretty well with the horse trading that goes on amongst the clubs.
I am also a bit concerned that the E-board seems to be taking some flak over this issue. They have continually extended the date and kept this event on the schedule all season, as they did last year until the cancellation was official. At this point they still can't give their blessing due to the unfinished work still to be done, so it would appear to me that their hands are tied. I'd bet there are insurance issues at play behind those scenes you mentioned.
I don't know any more than that, but I do know that all of Conference has been behind them, and I'm quite sure the track will be well supported when it opens for business. We know the driver support is there, and from what I've heard so is the support from the board and the other 4 clubs. I'd love to see it happen for 09', but if that falls short then have the inaugural event as early in 2010 as the schedule allows. We'll all be there either way, with the full support of Conference.

This is just an opinion and not official

(highlighted):

The following is a direct quote from the first paragraph of their findings:

"Following my inspection of the Oregon Raceway Park motorsport facility on August 18, 2009 I am pleased to confirm that I will be recommending to the Sports Car Club of America, SCCA, thath the track be certified as meeting the standards for the staging of SCCA events on the full course in a clockwise direction once the following safety items that were discussed with track mangement have been completed. All comments relate to a clockwise direction."

The official document excerpt only states that this is a RECOMMENDATION. The track has yet to be certified.

The RECOMMENDATION will NOT progress to SCCA Board until the “ punch list” is completed and that completion is confirmed. After that there will be a period of time (unknown) that the said recommendation will be reviewed and then voted on by the SCCA Board. Once that is completed then and only then will the track be certified.
The above paragraph also states that there are SAFETY issues involved in the punch list that has not been divulged to general reading.

It is my understanding that the certification of a track by a sanctioning entity is a requirement of the insurance carrier. It is NOT a negotiable line item that the ICSCC E Board can just choose to ignore!

Additionally, the required deadlines for race announcements in the memo have come and gone including multiple extensions that have been granted. As with any project, there is a punch list that needs to be accomplished, one is the sanctioning issue, another is the race announcement requirements, another is pre race requirements that need to be FULLY complied with before an event can be run. While many individuals have strived to accomplish all it apparently is not in the cards this year. It is my opinion that the upcoming planned Championship event is no longer doable.

Maybe TC would consider running a non- points race and strive for the Championship race event next year.

Ken Redburn

Back