New Class IT-J

thanks Eric.
AP lap record at ORP is 2:07.251, ST is 1:48.5. ITS 1:58 and ITR is still open. Sounds like we should stick to AP for bench racing the P71. If I remember correctly, it has run 1:39ish at PIR and maybe 2:21ish at Thunderhill - both full track without the bypass. Ant idea what competitive AP times are at those tracks?
Tim

Tim,

If you put a Mustang front clip on the crown vic we might be able to put it in A/S limited prep. as for the doors they looked ok for the top row of the stands..

The NASDA drivers have been watching, and I think you will be on the podium this year.....

We are looking forward to sharing the track with you..

John Rissberger
# 10 Camaro A/S Oregon
ICSCC & SCCA

John!
Thanks but -
You know I'm a camaro guy!
:)
Tim

Last edited:
It's my experience after 2 years of racing that we have to many FCY's during the season of 30 minutes sprint racing.

Sorry you lost me at FCY? Whats that?

I would think (and this may be way off base) that CC and LeMons cars might be a higly more likely to explode motors, experience off track moments or leak fluids.

You know that the shortest race weekend offered by either series is 14 hours of constant running right? If there is anything people build there cars for, its to finish a race. That's the key to the game (not going as fast as possible, although, that never hurts). I think you may be surprised to amount of prep and effort is put into the cars that compete. They may look funny, and they might use dryer vent instead of fancy silicone brake ducting, but they still get a surprising amount of work done on track. Most of the established teams have 100+ hours racing into their cars. They are very well shaken down.

i also dont agree with the AA vs major league. maybe lemons and cc are A novice program maybe AA and ICSCC would be AAA. and Grand Am , WC, top 3 nascar and arca, alms would be major league in my mind oh yeah F1 and V8 supercars too.

Holy smokes...I was referencing the racing scene as it plays out here in the Northwest. Do you actually think my analogy was intended to actually compare local club racing as being the pinnacle of motorsports!! Maybe I should have said chump car racing is Junior High and Club Racing is High School...is that about right?

That track you wanted to race on? Sorry, no vacancy.

Some here must actually participate in the CC or Lemons events, even if only as a volunteer. Then they would have a totally different perspective on the attitudes, accomplishment, and pride that these 'club' racers have in their sanction bodies. Chump, and Lemons are considered 'their' club. Remember that ICSCC is not one club, it is a collection of clubs. And the pride of belonging to that is no less with Chump or Lemons, or simply Crap Can racing in general. Those organizations have their very own, well produced and edited web sites with some spin-offs, and forums, blogs, and other 'market oriented' media just like "real" race car organizations.

The fact that they use 'theme' team sports not withstanding. Over the long haul it doesn't lose much time for the aerodynamics of many of these cars/trucks/vans. These people have a lot of fun, and they spend a lot of shop time and their own personal money to maintain that fun. No less than some of our tried and true, dyed in the wool sports car racers do.

Some that look down their nose at those dedicated racing folks may consider it 'chump' change, but it's what they do for fun, trophies and bragging rights. No less than any other member of any other sanction. And EVERY Chump car race benefits a local charity organization. There's some apples, there.

Part of the suliminal philosophy in training is a good ground school to show them the basics (no less retention of the pertinent facts that go out the window when they put the helmet on than any club ground school at least), then they get into their 'crap cans' and find out how much it costs if they start banging doors and fall off the course, and all those other expensive mistakes. All the while doing it in cars that resemble, if not attempt to emulate the common street car. Again, just like any normal Conference club driving school. They just do it with passing allowed in a 'real' race situation right off the bat. How many hours before they would attain an area license in Conference? There's some math.

I have been out on track with these people, working every PIR event, so far, and I'm telling you true facts that when Safety vehicles are out there, we get 100% cooperation and respect from those drivers. Enforced respect, but aside from the occasional tow strap being run over, a true respect for the reasons that the safety team is out there in the way, all the same. And less driver "attitude" than some occasions. And that hasn't changed as the series keeps returning.

I have, will and continue to support both SCCA, and ICSCC events throughout the NW. But also, do not feel that my station is lowered as I will work with these people, and those nearly 80 cars on track whenever I can afford the time and money to do so. (My safety truck meets the theme of crap can, but I'll get it painted one of these days, still it does the job.) But some here should think about that the next time they pass a safety vehicle, attempting to beat them to the apex in order to keep the draft, or from losing those precious few feet behind their nearest competitor (you know who you are).

If one were to read the CC regulations that seem to keep growing and improving every season, without simple speculation, it may be found that the safety rules are very similar, and in many cases directly coincide, with SCCA, ICSCC, and NASA.

Of course, after a couple of decades of observation, I am always pleasantly surprised when I find that a driver has read more than their own class regulations anyway... or even the Supps.

So show a little respect for these folks. A larger and larger percentage of them have already earned ICSCC, SCCA, and NASA licenses. That number is growing. How many of those do you believe may grow away from this clubs' structure and politics as this clubs' members may have grown away from other clubs' structure and politics because they just flat get tired of the BS?

In only two years they have had, and continue to add events all across this United States, in Mexico, and Canada. They are already international, and cover a much larger range than ICSCC, or even SCCA was ever meant to. They are growing, they are learning, they are succeeding. THEY ARE ALREADY AMOUNG US, and they are having that which underscores the REAL essence of racing... FUN.

IT-J(alopy, unker?) It's a place to race. Get on board or watch the ship pass on, with all the best weekends.

Okay, I feel better now.

Last edited:
After 2 pages it seems as if there's a consensus that the careful addition of IT-J would be a good thing? I can get behind that.

Well said Ken and Colin. Let's all thank Oregon Region for being the test case. And we should also thank CC etal for coming up with a business plan that has introduced an unprecidented number of new drivers to road racing over a very short period of time.

As for ranking the level of racing or the ability of the drivers based on the sanctioning body all I can say is "really"?

When the interaction of a complex set of variables including driver (ability, developement, race craft and experience), car (performance cababilities, prep, testing and developement) and money total up to near equal values between entrants racing occurs. I reckon the difference between single A and triple A is money.

So what have we learned? Racing like any other commodity is price sensitive, if you lower the cost you will get more customers. But it is not just cost, it is also the time commitment needed to get on the track and race. Make no mistake ICSCC's NCW program is top notch. but it also takes a big commitment of time before you get to race (even more time is required for NOW). In CC etal you go to ground school and get in the car. I cannot help but speculate that as ICSCC provides Novice Racing at every event is the primary reason we are healthy and SCCA, who often do not have enough schools in region to satisfy Novice requirements, is sufferring. ITJ drivers will still need to be licensed before they race SCCA or ICSCC, so if we want to grow our driver base and increase entries we may need tweek our program.

Well said Ken and Greg

This thread has created a lot of good ideas and discussion among some Conference officials. It is a bold move and one of necessity for SCCA to create this class. It will be very interesting to see how it works. When you want to create a class in Conference it is very easy to do, 5-6 people get a petition signed, and commit to race in the class and a new class is created. Will IT-J people want to run 30 minute races? Will there be enough people/cars wanting to run in IT-J to have their own group? (3-6 merger?) I think everyone knows my position on the 3-6 merger. It should be done to increase car entry count from a new class of race cars coming to race in Conference that will increase all Club's car counts so that all the Club's will have more entries and survive and thrive financially.

As I read the various threads, SCCA is currently considering consolidating classes and making fewer classes. Interesting? The weakness of Conference is we have too many classes, the strength of Conference is we have so many classes, you can "run what you brung" and we will fit you in some where.

2012 will be an interesting year to watch how this develops with SCCA and IT-J and their ideas on class consolidation. One of the issues they are discussing is consolidating S2, C S/R and D S/R into one S/R class. Lots of speculation that class consolidation will put more cars in the garage and/or increase ICSCC car counts? SCCA licensing and IT-J? Will it increase their car counts, which they need desperately? Time will tell?!

2012 Race, School and Open Practice schedule out this Wednesday!

The STAR Projects / RAT RACE schedule will be out this Wednesday. Currently five races scheduled for O.R.P. and one at P.I.R. starprojectsevents@gmail.com to get on the UPDATE list.
Or call:
Bill Murray
Event Coorinator
STAR Projects
503-358-2617 (10:00 a.m. to Midnight)

The STAR Projects / RAT RACE schedule will be out this Wednesday. Currently five races scheduled for O.R.P. and one at P.I.R. starprojectsevents@gmail.com to get on the UPDATE list.
Or call:
Bill Murray
Event Coorinator
STAR Projects
503-358-2617 (10:00 a.m. to Midnight)

Bill, are the car prep rules similar to chumpcar? Will there be a class (like the EC class that chumpcar has) for non-crapcan race cars?

If you want to be successful attracting the "crap-can" racers, it would be worth you time to look at why these series are becoming so popular. Just offering a class where the cars will fit will probably not be successful. Things that I see as vastly different:

* Value, Seat Time per $ (To some degree the rules too, if you allow $3,000 tire get ups, then everyone has to spend that much on tires to compete)
* Accessibility, How many hoops do you have to jump through to come racing with your organization?
* Bureaucracy, How much red tape and drama stands between you and the racing?

* Value, Seat Time per $ (To some degree the rules too, if you allow $3,000 tire get ups, then everyone has to spend that much on tires to compete)
I've never met anyone running $3000 tires. Maybe up to half that, sure, but that's for a set of large-diameter, wide, extra-sticky tires. You can do well for a lot less.
* Accessibility, How many hoops do you have to jump through to come racing with your organization?
You have to either go through our Novice program (but you race the other Novices while you're doing it; it's also a really good program) or have a racing resume you can show to the Steward as relevant experience. Not onerous at all, and it helps to ensure we have well-trained drivers out there.
* Bureaucracy, How much red tape and drama stands between you and the racing?
I hear about the odd story from time to time, but they strike me as outliers. For myself and those I've been racing with in 5 different classes, essentially none.

Back