New Class IT-J

john_rissberger

John Rissberger
I recieved this announcement of a new class IT-J for SCCA.

Oregon Region announces a new class in 2012, IT-J.

This class is intended to make a spot for Chump- and Lemons-prepared cars to run in Oregon Region Regional races. Chump/Lemons car prep rules are the basis of car preparation, but cars must meet SCCA safety rules for IT car preparation, and driver's gear needs to meet current SCCA General Competition Rules.

Oregon plans to offer several Time Trials sessions during the course of the year for IT-J cars (no SCCA license required for TT). And IT-J cars will be eligible to run in all Oregon Region regional events if the driver does have an SCCA-approved competition license or novice permit.

Will ICSCC have IT-J also ????

John Rissberger
# 10 Camaro A/S Oregon
ICSCC and SCCA

Considering the SCCA NW region attendance history I can see how important it is for them to think outside of the box like this. I think it's a brilliant idea however. In the enduro thread I asked the question of; how can a Club utilize Chump/Lemons as a possible gateway drug to Club racing? It appears that someone in SCCA asked this same question already.

Junker

Isn't that German for landed nobility?

Colin

You hit the nail on the head. I figure that going forward our biggest challenge is going to be increasing the number of drivers and their participation in ICSCC events.

Could you still run all the rooftop flagpoles with scantily clad mannequins swinging in the breeze....honestly, actually say a couple of Chump cars in California decked out just like that.

But, seriously, this certainly would be a way to bring more cars to grid whether in sprints or enduros. They just have to have comp licenses which is not a requirement to run CC or LeMons...but that's where our novice program could come into play. Agree with Randy...certainly worth considering.

Bill-

If I've learned anything about race car drivers it's that, they always want to do more racing.

Bring the CC cars into conference, pair them with the Novice Program and possibly a Mentor and there's a good chance we find people who have a passion for both Chump and Conference.

How about a Junker class at the Cascade Enduro? Allow the CC/Lemon cars to meet our safety regs, require that class to meet the same "budget" rules in CC.

Just brainstorming in-between customer service calls.

As long as it is just brainstorming…..

How about combining group 3 and 6 into one group 3…

Then put group 6 out as the chump car / Lemans / Rat Race or what have you group….

Just seams to me there would be less of a chance of swapping paint don’t you know…

Oh I don't know...I'd kind of like to see Colin in his ITA car trying to avoid the Crown Victoria, and the like, which might very well show up! Would be a great photo, don't you think? The J may also stand for jalopy according to my SCCA source. Gotta love it!

Bill

Oh I don't know...I'd kind of like to see Colin in his ITA car trying to avoid the Crown Victoria, and the like, which might very well show up! Would be a great photo, don't you think? The J may also stand for jalopy according to my SCCA source. Gotta love it!

Bill

ah- I would never! actually IT- Junker had me laughing till I had to go dry my eyes. I don't think it would take that many iterations of IT-J cars getting sand kicked in there face by ITA cars until they thought seriously about adding some suspension bushings, etc and converted. (I'm headed out to work on my soon to be AS camaro now...)
Tim
#81 crown vic
2012 Novice

I wasn't too surprised when I saw the email... and I'm not sure a novice program combo is really necessary for most. I would guess those that would venture out to a OR SCCA event (or potentially ICSCC) in their IT-J car would likely be similar conference licensed drivers.

More the merrier...

I guess I need to review the "damaged body panel" issue. I have an ugly car that got uglier on lap 1 of the 8 hour (how do you get rear-ending in T10@PIR of an 8 hour race??).

I was hoping to build a fresh shell, but I haven't even gotten the motor rebuild bill.

Crap-Can racer(take your pick of series, tried em' all), and club racer novice here. I have even done a bunch of the cascade driver training days at PIR. Realistically, what would it take for an existing team to cross over? What would club racing offer that people aren't getting with their "home" series? The big question, how much does it cost and how much time do you get in return? What are the major rule differences?

Crap-Can racer(take your pick of series, tried em' all), and club racer novice here. I have even done a bunch of the cascade driver training days at PIR. Realistically, what would it take for an existing team to cross over? What would club racing offer that people aren't getting with their "home" series? The big question, how much does it cost and how much time do you get in return? What are the major rule differences?

Parid....Your questions are are important for anyone currently owning or actively racing a CC or Lemons car as it relates to bringing that car into a Club Racing activity. Currently the only place to do that is SCCA Oregon and by osmosis I would expect SCCA Northwest Region. Your questions would best be addressed to the Oregon Region SCCA. Not sure of the who, how and when such an opportunity would become available within ICSCC, but this class does have merits, expecially within SCCA were car counts have been declining. It's my experience after 2 years of racing that we have to many FCY's during the season of 30 minutes sprint racing. I would think (and this may be way off base) that CC and LeMons cars might be a higly more likely to explode motors, experience off track moments or leak fluids. Just an opinion here - but chump racing is AA Baseball and Club Sprint Racing is Major League. Therein might lie the additional emotional experience not offered in their "home series". If Cascade develops a class which these chump type cars can run it, that certainly would be a way to increase the Cascade Enduro...I wouldn't necessarily have an issue if those type of cars were entered in a separate class, but not sure how the more "pro" like teams with very expensive cars would feel.

Bill-

some CC or LeMons cars would pass the 50 50 rule body rule. and as long as they pass the safety standards the ones that do would be able to run in the novice program since that has no classes. until ICSCC adopts some type of 500$ car class. depending on car even if you put race tires on would not be anywhere near competitive in the classes they would be legal for.

Just an opinion here - but chump racing is AA Baseball and Club Sprint Racing is Major League.

Bill-

Bill,
Do you really think so? If so, can you be more specific? faster laps maybe? The last race I was involved in was the Rat Race Labor Day at ORP. Thee crown vic turned a 2:07.9 lap with a pre-novice driver (not me, I'm slower). Looks like SM times are about 2:04.1? Or is it something different that makes it Major League? I'd think the Novice program is more like AA league.
Tim

i also dont agree with the AA vs major league. maybe lemons and cc are A novice program maybe AA and ICSCC would be AAA. and Grand Am , WC, top 3 nascar and arca, alms would be major league in my mind oh yeah F1 and V8 supercars too.

theoretical question (the crown vic won't pass the 50/50 rule without new doors and it isn't going to get new doors), where would the crown vic fit? F prod?
ps I'll be very happy if I can be 7 sec/lap off my AS camaro's potential times when I start the novice program.
Tim
pre-AA driver

it would be A prod if you went that route. ST would be another class. would need to also be 5 speed and not an auto. it might class in ITS or ITR with a 5 speed in it but would have to submit the car to be classed.

Tim,

If you put a Mustang front clip on the crown vic we might be able to put it in A/S limited prep. as for the doors they looked ok for the top row of the stands..

The NASDA drivers have been watching, and I think you will be on the podium this year.....

We are looking forward to sharing the track with you..

John Rissberger
# 10 Camaro A/S Oregon
ICSCC & SCCA

Back