More track time or more racing? :brainstorm session:

Ok the Rain Man says that under current regs there are 8 different single Championship Race weekend schedules possible. Track time ranges from 45 minutes to 130 minutes for single entries and 90 to 180 minutes for double entries. On track sessions range from 2 to 6 for single entries to 4 to 8 for double entries. Races range from 1 to 3 for single entries to 2 to 6 for double entries.

With a slight tweak to 703 to allow non championship qualifying races you can add 4 more permutations, a total of 16 and 3 qualifying scenarios, which add another 12 possibilities for a total of 28 . To many possible opinions to even list them here......I will forward to other clubs. My Only disappointment is that the totals did not randomly add up to be a prime number.....perhaps I missed one....I will check.

Ha found it....actually adds up to 34 possibilities including double entries where the same rules apply wait for it................................so divide by 2 ..............to get 17 a prime number......knew it........hmmmm and my car is 04 the first non prime number......to close to a trans pacific flight thru 9 time zones.......group 3 you have been warned

Gee. It's like a kid in a candy store. So many varieties to chose from. I think I understand why the change of format for this Conference seems, to some perhaps very slow, to move or adapt as you explain it, Greg. And each club has it's own particular economic dynamic to help isolate some of those choices only so much. Calculate your heads per group, or per event? That really doesn't change the till at the end the day. The people that show up have their own reasons for doing so. The number of seconds that they get to turn a wheel is a % of that reason to justify the expense of their volunteered $ for participation. And a varying % per entry at that

Where is that common ground? What motivates the clubs to center their racing interests?

Will ICSCC become the insurance provider for each club's special spin-off fun-run races besides the sanctioning of it's own championship series events? Certainly member racing clubs may enjoy that benefit. And the willing cadre of ICSCC officially volunteering Stewards assume those responsibilities for the safety and compliance of these 'other' clubs' events via those approved Supps, yes? A Mini-Enduro (ME) series?

Back to business though... if it brings in revenues to ICSCC, with no particular increase in the existing risks, then maybe the driver levies could come down as the head count should effectively, go up. If tempers don't.

Where's that confounded volunteer insurance advisor guy. Is ICSCC a licensed insurance broker?

Okay. I go too far.

Thanks, Greg. Now look what you've gone and made me do.

Let's have a party at ORP and talk about it.

Is it still snowing in Spokane?

Last edited:
Bob, the idea being kicked around over the last decade is fewer race week-ends, with more racing. Nobody wants 11 or 12 events with 3 or 4 races per event. What we, and the worker/volunteer base have been pushing for is doubles and occasional triples at our events, so all of us travel less, and spend less per season.
7 or 8 race week-ends per year, with at least 2 races within each of those week-ends would give us a minimum of 14 points scoring races, which is more than enough for most of our sketchy budgets. NWMS has proven how this format is not only possible, but successful, and as the economy continues to fall it is ever more appealing to many of us.
Our worker base is growing as old as our drivers, and for them and their involvement in numerous race organizations they may attend 20 + events per year, and they are getting tired of doing that. They love Conference and the driver bucks, but they will have to eventually choose the events that for them are the best value for the $$ they spend, and we need to be that group that offers that value.

Big Picture question: Is the 5 member club model sustainable? I think the "more racing per entry dollar" expectation amongst racers will become the expectations of the average racer in the near future. I'm hoping we put ourselves in front of the curve.

As for profitability, I like the idea of appealing to more HPDE'ers with our TnT. Limit the number of slots and when it's full, it's full. The "selling points" would be that @ $150 it's less expensive than lapping just about anywhere else and as a HPDE'er you're sharing the day with racecar drivers who would be willing to chat, welcome you Conference, offer advice etc etc. But most importantly it gives the racers of ICSCC a chance to act as the "sales person" and illustrate to potential new recruits how easy it is to go racing and that you don't have be an investment banker do it and you're car doesn't have to make a bazillion HP to go racing.

I remember a year or so ago the entry for the TnT was so low there were discussions of doing away with it. Perhaps it can be used as a promotional tool to increase entries for the TnT in the short run and entries in ICSCC in the long run.

Also, if we did popularize a qual/race, qual/race type of schedule then that would make the TnT look more appealing to racers because now I'm racing twice for what I used to pay to race once so if I need practice, get feedback from another driver in the car, or shakedown a new setup, the TnT now looks quite valuable.

westipton said:
Nobody wants 11 or 12 events with 3 or 4 races per event.

The 2 are not correlated. I understand the burden on budget racers, turn workers and volunteers with lots-o-weekends but we're not advocating adding weekends, we're talking about exchanging non-racing-track-time for racing-track time. If $285 buys me 4 sessions on track, why can't 2 or 3 of them be races? (rhetorical) Same track time, same number weekends... more fun, more value.

Mathematically a solution is to recognize that we all typically run 15 track sessions on Saturday with 7 groups. Only one of which seems to be carrying the load group 1.

So you re-group to 5 ..... 1 fast CW, 2 slow CW, 3 OW/SR, 4 in between CW, and 5 NCW bingo 3 sessions instead of 2. What about double entry ? Well 1 can race in 4, 2 can race in 4, 4 can race in 1 or 2.......yea so 4 becomes a free for all sort of like closed wheel special races.......no doubles for group 3

Sunday you need 8 sessions instead of 12 so you can add 6 HPDE sessions. Chances of this happening anytime soon.......about zero

So you re-group to 5 ..... 1 fast CW, 2 slow CW, 3 OW/SR, 4 in between CW, and 5 NCW bingo 3 sessions instead of 2. What about double entry ? Well 1 can race in 4, 2 can race in 4, 4 can race in 1 or 2.......yea so 4 becomes a free for all sort of like closed wheel special races.......no doubles for group 3

That is definitely an interesting idea. Logistics (license number changes) are a bit daunting. But I think that idea has a lot of positives. It definitely puts more cars on track in every group, which I think increases the fun.

One thing that only a few of the posts in this thread have discussed is the difficulty of getting necessary worker positions manned. That includes not just F&C, but timing and scoring, pre-grid, reg, too many more that I can't even name. Driver's just assume the club's are able to come up with those resources. But it would be neat (IMO) to figure
out a schedule such that drivers could also be particpants in at least partially filling such needs.

Back