ITX regs?

Look up the rules for ITA... :p

(You can try contacting the Steward, who MIGHT have a copy of the class' provisional rules. Or ask one of the people who proposed it as a class.)

ITX is a place for ITA, ITB, and ITC cars to race each other while adhering to their respective class rules. So, depending on your car, the ITA, ITB, or ITC rules apply. For example, I have an ITA car so if I choose to run in ITX, I'll need to adhere to the ITA rules.

So, would the ITX guys let me run with you even though I have no dashboard? I am fairly certain all IT regs state you have to have some remnant interior parts.

So, would the ITX guys let me run with you even though I have no dashboard? I am fairly certain all IT regs state you have to have some remnant interior parts.

I don't run in ITX (yet) so I couldn't say for sure. I believe that Rick Delamare and Colin Koehler proposed the class so hopefully they can comment on this.

It's not a matter of "letting" you run in ITX. It's simply based on the rules. If your car doesn't adhere Improved Touring A/B/C/S then you might need to choose another class. Are there any other classes in Group 2 that your car would be compliant to the rules? How hard would it be to make your car IT compliant?

More run group opportunities of course, which equals more entries. There are some that are philosophically opposed to this concept, but with entries being what they are right now, I don't personally see a downside to testing a provisional class, as the Competition Rules allow.

I thought ITX was modified by the E-Board to allow for ITA/B/C/D... how does ITS come into the mix? Typo?

Typo... I always include ITS with other IT classes as a nature of habit not sure why but I "did it wrong".

westipton said:
Why would we have a class for cars that already have classes? Why would we need this?

I agree with Randy. In San Francisco the Spec Miata class actually runs 2 races because it's a large class and they all pay to race twice. The club wins, the drivers win.

However, the point of ITX wasn't just to let people have a second run group, we already had that, the point was to keep the fun...fun. If you have 22 ITA cars that show up for a race and they want to double enter why should they be separated? Why can't they race together twice? Spec Miata does it, Pro3 does it? Why can't the ITA/B/C cars do it? It's not hurting anyone, it's an easy rule/class to create, it simplifies some classes, increases the fun factor for many drivers and brings the club more money.... Downside? I don't see one.

Here's what we originally wanted when launching ITX:
SCCA San Francisco region said:
ITX - Improved Touring Extra

1: Consists of ITA, ITB, ITC, RX7, and SPEC MIATA cars with the Region reserving the right to make "quick change" competition adjustments (Venturi-type intake restrictors, supertrap exhaust restrictors with number of plates specified, etc)

AND

2: Consists of cars eligible in any of the 1984 through current Showroom Stock classifications* with the follow exceptions: SSGT, Turbo and supercharged cars.

*The region reserves the right to handicap or make additional restricitons in order to make these cars competitive.

ITX isn't simply a "duplicate class", think of it as an "inclusive" class allowing more people to spend more money to have more fun, enjoying more racing.

Last edited:
my car did not really fit in to a second run group, i could run spm but with an ITA car i think i would be a little out gunned, with current set up i could not run any class in group 2 and there were no classes in g4 i could enter. so even if i wanted to run 2 run groups i didnt. now there is ITX which i thought included ITS and ITR but i guess they do not. i would now have a place to spend more money.

So to confirm... I am left out in the cold with my ITS prep 944? Ah well... only one run group for me. Ironically, running with many of the same cars in Group 5 that DO qualify for ITX.

I understand you might be scared of the Z cars, but frankly a 944 is not that out of line with a E30 or a Miata. At least not mine, when driven by me :)

Hi Eric,

Try Group 1, SPM. Zero changes needed to your car. May not be the fastest car, but the fastest car doesn't always win.

I guess my point is simply that as far as I know almost every car in Conference can run in at least 2 classes already, except SR's unfortunately. Whether a driver chooses to run or not is up to personal choice, or a decision not to run if he/she isn't competitive, but the option is there either way.
So if you were to run in ITX in lieu of say SPU or SPM, you would still only be running 2 classes. I don't see how a club will make more money unless a driver decides to do 3 races, which is pretty rare even if the car is legal in 3. Used to happen long time ago, but not even sure it's possible currently. If a few cars decide to run ITX and would not run a second group otherwise, then yes, we might get a couple extra entries.
Most of the provisional classes over the last decade have failed due to a lack of participation, interest or money, but I guess we'll know by October.

the other classes my ITA car fits into is EIP oh wait im already running that group. i could run ST at 19-1 wt to hp lol instead of 10-1, or as RS at 2873, ITA is 2550, because i have headers i cant run regular production classes, so im left with SPM and it is fun at time running with pro3 in group 1 there are lots of other cars out there also;need to watch out for and good enduro practice. so i have already run in both SPM and ITX this year

Judging from your punctuation Eric is it safe to assume you've been drinking? :p

westipton said:
So if you were to run in ITX in lieu of say SPU or SPM, you would still only be running 2 classes.

That's primarily the point of ITX. So the Neon/Nissan/BMW ITA cars aren't stuck in group 1 for their 2nd entry. ITX moves them into Group 2 where they will have lots more fun. The 325e ITA trim BMW was one of the many cars that were motivation for creating ITX.

Wes, you're right. The ITA guys as a group all had a 2nd run group to go play in however some of them weren't paying to double enter because their 2nd run wasn't as enjoyable.

We will see by October. My hopes are high for ITX though, because the ITA class is a large group comparable to Pro3 and Spec Miata and ITX brings more drivers together to compete in group 2.

ITA is indeed a large group, and seems to be consistently. Many of those cars of course are from other classes and are not really competitve in ITA, but as long as everyone can run at least 2 groups it's a good deal for the drivers and the clubs. Are there any numbers yet this season on ITX participation?

Any chance of ITS cars being accepted? I would much rather run in a group with cars I can have fun racing than just being on track for extra track time. I would have to add too much weight to run in E-prod to make it into group 2. That much weight takes some of the fun out of my car.

Are there any numbers yet this season on ITX participation?

So far 6 drivers have scored points in ITX but I think Conatore, Noriko, Mike Delamare and Colangelo are all going to be added to that list as the year progresses. So that would make 10 "regulars" in ITX, in it's first year... not bad!

Any chance of ITS cars being accepted?

I'm not sure how we would go about this.

Back