IRDC Military Salute In Car Videos

Great videos, very cool to see my car from your camera. (the other white vette!)

Good clean racing, the blue bimmer m3 is very fast and a good driver.

Thanks It was a lot of fun battling it out with you.

The car felt alot more spongy entering a corner and alot of over steer exiting the coner during the race than it did during qualifying. so it turns out....

2011-05-22152546.jpg

upon my post race inspection I noticed my front sway bar came loose. hahahahaha Im learning more and more loctite is your friend.

Here is my view from the race in Group 4 excuse the extremely loose condition exiting turn 8. I thought I was at a drift event :) also I am getting too much cooling to my rear brakes and I will be switching compounds because the rear brakes weren't getting hot enough hence the annoying squealing.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/nickrice20?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/ntq5IZWaxtQ

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/nickrice20?feature=mhee#p/a/u/1/T4E_X4FEgrM

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/user/nickrice20?feature=mhee#p/a/u/2/YS_pmSlfv_o

Last edited:
Colin, I like the rear facing view. A bit selfish since I get to watch my car for at least 1 lap. Awesome to watch as others try to attack in the corners.....only to fail.

Eric, speak of photo finish..... Mike Tripp and I had a good battle in G5. The unexpected drag race to the finish was the best. I would have to second the notion of that being the best weekend I have had racing.

In spite of some incidents, I have to agree, the racing this weekend was superb in all the groups. (Mike Mc and Eric Krause had us hoarse from the cheering/groaning going on in our turn)
It wasn't just the race for the over all lead, but all the other battles going on within the groups that was well done and exciting.
I have said it before but will say it again, as a turn worker, I have got to have one of the best seats in the house.

Thank you all. See you at ORP.

Thanks for the ride, Mike/Eric.

I'm puzzled though. When did that Porsche cross over from the left (last viewed at checkered) to pass you on your right side entering T1 after the checkered? I must have missed that part of the vid.

Last edited:
Mike's rear view camera does not have the image reversed like a rear view mirror. So the moves are in the opposite direction than what you'd expect if looking in a mirror.

Still. Moving up on one side, then "blink" moving around on the other side with no visual of the swap front or rear.

It's just weird.

I believe the timing and scoring loop is still in turn 9. Unless the track recently moved it. Winner should always be a call from S/F.

I believe the timing and scoring loop is still in turn 9. Unless the track recently moved it. Winner should always be a call from S/F.

BOTH SM'z. Timing loop is STILL at Turn 9 for use (OLD S/F line) "some" clubs use it for lap timing still during races. There is ALSO a timing loop at the current S/F line. It's a 'touchy' one subject to occasional repair but works good too.

Regardless, the "Starters" CALL the winners by observation at the S/F line and usually go as deep as possible for a human count (usually like to have many many eye balls counting and recording)

Does anyone know who the "Starter" for the race/finish in G4 was?. I am curious how close .022 seconds is. MikeyB's math says it equals 4 feet, but when we crossed the line it sure didn't seem like 4 feet.
Mike M.

Ralph Hunter is our Starter. He told Thomas that it was really really close. Less than 4 feet.
(I'm thinking mayber a bumper and a couple of headlights)

REALLY close!

Hi Mike and Eric. I was comm/yellow flag at Turn 8, and you two provided LOTS of excitement for me! Every time you came around and Eric would prepare to dive to the inside, I'd be yelling "NO, NO, NO!!!!", because I was sure it was going to end in tears. Not over comm yelling, just corner yelling, drove my quiet flagging partner crazy. So on the last lap, I KNEW he was going to go for it ... my "NO, NO, NO" became "OH NO, OH NO, OH NO!!!!" - but he made the pass clean - then you were side by side exiting 8 heading for the front straight - I waited a few minutes, then asked Race Control to tell me who crossed the line first - Dave said Timing & Scoring called it as Eric (I forget your numbers now, he actually said Eric's number). Anyway, my point is, I think it was a transponder thing as opposed to visual, but I may stand corrected on that. Another point of interest is, where is each of your transponders located ... if one is right on the nose and the other is further back, that would come into play too, wouldn't it? In any case - WHAT A GREAT RACE, I LOVED IT! As Lynn said, this was one of those times when we had the best seat in the house. So thanks! :)

Does anyone know who the "Starter" for the race/finish in G4 was?. I am curious how close .022 seconds is. MikeyB's math says it equals 4 feet, but when we crossed the line it sure didn't seem like 4 feet.
Mike M.

If I remember Mike was doing the math assuming a speed of 130 mph. If you were going slower than that, it would be less than 4 feet.

711. End of the race. The end of the race shall be marked by a display of the
checkered flag at the designated finish line. No laps will be scored after the
elapse of five minutes from the time the checkered flag was first displayed.

So is the winner whomever is ahead at the "end of the race", or the last time they crossed the "timing" line? Or at the time that the display of the checkered flag that is positioned at the designated finish line. (Ralph, don't display that flag until they get to one of those lines please.)

<ding>

Ken,

The timing lines are doing just that... timing laps, that's all. Matter of fact the 'duration' of the race be it on plan A, B or C is determined by a really good old fashion watch in the Starters hand! Nothing to do with the 'timing line'.

Winners and 'roughly' the top ten in finishing order are determined with human eyeballs at the S/F line. Then, they defer to the timing system.

I believe SOVREN enjoys using the 'loop' at Turn 9 for lap times, but race winners are called visually at the S/F line.

RULE 711: The last sentance...
Pertains to cars that may have pulled off or in to the hot pits due to whatever and then, after the checker falls solder on to get a race finish as long as they take the checker within 5 minutes of it initially being displayed. Rule comes in to play at Enduro races too.

The "timing" line (loop) has only to do with timing the transponders (race cars) from one lap to the next, not the overall time between green flag displayed and checkered flag displayed. The number of laps can be counted, but it is the flag that flips the on/off of the session, be it race or otherwise. The Steware/Race Chairman may certainly designate that loop as the official finish line if they like, but the S/F station should display the flags at the position of that (designated) line.

"Winners and 'roughly' the top ten in finishing order are determined with human eyeballs at the S/F line. Then, they defer to the timing system."-sez Rich Broadhead

The human eye ball is not mentioned as any official determinator of place/position in these regulations. Not that it shouldn't be, just that it isn't.

I'll look some more, but I'm not finding any verbage that pertains to human judgement even being a factor in the determination of which car is in which place at the "End of the race." I haven't scoured the PPM, but would be happy to read any passages that can be found that related directly to the determination of a winner at the "designated finish line".

My point is that we are working under some assumptions not directly supported by our regulations. The "But that's the way we've always done it." perspective not withstanding.

The last sentence of 711 pertains to ANY car that may be anyplace on course, but hadn't yet crossed the "designated" finish line. They may be parked in T4 when the race ends, as long as they get their car across the plane of that "designated" finish line 5 minutes after the checkered has been displayed.

I'm just reading the words, Rich. Not in between them.

Last edited:
Back