IRDC 4 Hour Enduro - April 10, 2011 - INFO PAGE

I'm not entering but I need to be around race cars to scratch my racing itch, if only just a little.
Plus, it helps out the club. I signed up for corners last week ...

If any enduro team is in need of a driver, please contact Robert Linse. Robert is a very young, fast, developing driver currently running SCCA Oregon Spec Miata. He is probably 6'2 I would suspect. A very talented (i.e. super fast) driver and a very nice young man, to boot!! Would be a tremendous addition to your team! Ride does NOT have to be in a Miata.....

Robert's email is robertjlinse@hotmail.com.................

Bill

Last edited:
We are officially up to 16 entries (welcome Rick Edwards / Zac Zawisza) with just slightly less then 4 weeks to green flag. All major classes (E1, E2, E3, L1, L2, L3) have multiple entries except the E2 class. Kind of strange since last years IRDC Enduro had the most entries from the E2 class. Where are the PRO3 Enduro pros (Mr Rodgers, Mr Dunn, Mr Berryman)? And will our Retro friends come out to play again?

My name is Robert Linse and I am looking to drive in the enduro. I am only 18 but I can get around a track quickly. I sould also say that I have never done an enduro however I know how they work and know how to finish them. I am an SCCA licensed driver and race im Spec Miata. I will drive for anyone in any car however I will need a day or so to get used to the car if it is not a miata. Please contact me as soon a possible so we can arrange a date to practice.
Thank you
Robert Linse
My email is RobertJlinse@hotmail.com

Way to step up Colin....another L-3 car - excellent. Should be a blast. Remember, you can't win it on the first lap. LOL

If you look on the front page, there are several 'teams' with what appear to be "open" seats for sale. You might contact them.

Plus, it's a 'step up' on the power curve but if you look 7 posts up above the GTM-R team from down south has a seat for sale.

I have a question about the rules:

In the L classes, what's the reasoning behind the rule where we are only allowed to change 1 tire in a stop and not all four? If a team decides to change all for and take the penalty, what's the penalty? Does this rule apply if changing form wets to drys or visa-versa?

its about tire management. L stands for limited you are limited to only 10 gals of fuel per pit stop you are also limited to replacing 1 tire OR rotating 2 each pit stop . . its based off the rule set from the NASA enduro classes. last year when is started raining really hard we were allowed to change all 4 to wets for safety. the nasa penalty for change more then one tire is 1 lap per tire if i remember right

So 1 pitstop might be 5-6 minutes from the time the car exits the track to the time it enters. Each lap being 1:45 or so means that taking the penalty is worth it, if it is needed. Fair enough. I'm just trying to gather as much knowledge so I can make better decisions when the moment presents itself.

i dont know what our penalty will be it could be as bad as DQ or 15min 30 min stop and go after the pitstop. just so you know Colin a 3 lap penalty per pit stop would easyly cause you to lose to a car running 5-6 seconds slower a lap that only replaces 1 tire and gets a fuel spilling penalty, beside are you saying you will wear out a set of tires in 4 hours at PR if so i would change your alignment but thats me

What's the best way to communicate with a driver at PR as the crew (ie: telling them to pit or "other") if radio communication fails?

The rationale behind the limited classes and the fuel and tire limits is to contain costs and attract teams that don't want to spend much money. For what it's worth, limited class cars have won the 25 hours of Thunderhill before, beating cars with unlimited fuel and tires.

The penalty for changing more than one tire is one minute, per each additional tire, in excess of the one allowed. If you elect to change all four tires, that's a three minute penalty.

All penalties, including limited class penalties for tires or fuel violations, are served in the penalty box, on a completely separate stop. You cannot serve your penalty at the conclusion of your pit stop. So it's not worth it.

You are allowed to rotate tires, or change a single tire, but not both.

You are also allowed to change as many tires as you want, in your paddock space, behind the fence. This is the paddock space, not the pit lane, so you'll have to transit all the way around the perimeter of the pits to your paddock, at the paddock speed limit, and back out to the re-entry road. Nobody, enduro or limited class, is permitted to fuel the cars in the paddock once the race has begun.

If this sounds overly restrictive or complicated, you always have the option of switching to an enduro class where there are very nearly no limits.

All of this stuff is in the supps....

What's the best way to communicate with a driver at PR as the crew (ie: telling them to pit or "other") if radio communication fails?

Best strategy I have heard is using a "spotter" on the fence between Turn 8 & Turn 9. Kinda like a second Pit Wall sign to help with communication.

PS. You should paddock near us.. would be good to have our competition close and just cuz you've always been a good guy. Wish my 944 was ready to race... :O(

I'm up for that Mike. I don't know how to arrange it though.

As for the spotter at T8-9, I guess we will fashion some sort of sign and plan on looking for it if communications fail. We've been working out some other ways of communicating with the crew/driver if things go awry on the radios.

@Randy: I've read the supps, that's why I have these questions. I have crewed at enduros but never captained my own so I'm just working through everything I can so the least number of things catch me off guard. I get the rule but didn't know the reasoning behind it other than "It's a limited class!"

Anyone run a 4 hour before on 1 set of tires with success in the dry? I know the last 2 years we've had a flood and a snow storm so when that occurs I suppose those whole tire strategy is out the window. I'm also not expecting this year to be any different in regards to weather.

Like Eric said, a 4 hour is very doable on one set of tires. We were getting five hours per set the last two years at T-hill.

dan

Best strategy I have heard is using a "spotter" on the fence between Turn 8 & Turn 9. Kinda like a second Pit Wall sign to help with communication.

PS. You should paddock near us.. would be good to have our competition close and just cuz you've always been a good guy. Wish my 944 was ready to race... :O(

As I understand it, both starting grid position and paddock spot is determined by registration, hence we are 4th in both Mike. The late comers are at the back of the bus. HA! Hence my ribbing to Colin about 1st lap heroics.

Oh, car ran great at Portland this week Mike. Great fuel mileage and the new torsen diff just rips compared that old viscous. Think I will forego the lapping day on the 9th and just get everything set up Saturday afternoon.

Will be in touch.

Back