Going thru withdrawal..Need videos from Spokane

Gary,
It was great to see you out on track this weekend !! We will keep an eye out for your camera this weekend , it may of flown off into the weeds :)

>>Not sure of my next race, but this last weekend definitely inspired me to do more this year for sure, and Seattle is a good bet.<<

Gary:

We are going to do a leak down test to see if there is any damage due to overheating.

If I don't find anything chronic with my car I will there as well. Look forward to racing with you again.

J.C.

Mike, thanks and actually my camera was recovered just past turn 12. It still powers up, but the display doesn't work and the lens is destroyed as was the case. I'm working with GoPro right now, hoping I can get a replacement.

Mike, thanks and actually my camera was recovered just past turn 12. It still powers up, but the display doesn't work and the lens is destroyed as was the case. I'm working with GoPro right now, hoping I can get a replacement.

Sorry to hear, Gary. If you need a new one, call Aaron at 509-999-9692. He's local and is typically cheaper then online pricing and he stocks them!

A little off-topic, Gary, but I think you and I both have a mutual friend in Ken Chappy. I'd love to meet up and chat racing with you some day. Take care.

Safety question...... I've enjoyed watching these videos but something I've noticed in the past poped up here too.

There seems to be a trend for the Tin-Tops to put their master kill switch in the middle of the dash in the cockpit. Makes it really difficult for workers to reach in event of an emergancy but, easy for the driver doing just the on/off thing.

Any thoughts??

If the car is on fire and the driver is unconscious, then I see the safety concern. As it stands, that location serves adequately the purpose in which it is intended.

Personally, relocating mine is actually on my to-do list and that's for the sake of the workers. I race accepting my own level of risks, however I don't expect those who might be potentially pulling me from a burning car to share the same level of risk. So yea, next off-season project.

Just to also make the contrary argument:

It's the slippery slope of to-do safety items and even go-fast items. The car can always be safer and can always be faster... After the point at which the car passes tech and is competitive one has to decide at what point does one says... "ok, that's good right there, we'll leave it the way it is." And that slope is part of the reason I don't have the $1000 header, the $1000 differential and I have yet to relocate my Kill Switch. But the switch get's moved long before those other parts make it on to the car.

If the car is on fire and the driver is unconscious, then I see the safety concern.....

Colin,

Good for you and your plan to change the location.

Actually the idea of having the switch in a location easily reached by corner workers is to "PREVENT" that fire if you're unconsious. Get the electrics off before a spark ignites something leaking. OR, to shut off a run away motor if you're unconsious and cannot assist us.

Last edited:
I was "forced" to mount my switch on the dash as I couldn't locate any battery cables pre-made longer than 78" off the shelf. I do plan to move it one day closer to the drivers side of the car, however.

For longer battery cable's, check with the nearest Interstate battery distrubertor. They can make cables as long as you would like AND there pricing is compatable with pricing from the local auto parts store. I had two cable made for my truck (24 ft) and they only cost me $36.00 FOR BOTH not each.

For longer battery cable's, check with the nearest Interstate battery distrubertor. They can make cables as long as you would like AND there pricing is compatable with pricing from the local auto parts store. I had two cable made for my truck (24 ft) and they only cost me $36.00 FOR BOTH not each.

Good info! Thanks.

Roldan - you had a helluva run on the first lap and I was looking forward to you sticking to my bumper to draft back up. Good driving and cool video...enjoyed watching turn 2-6 as we battled for a little.

Thanks! I was hoping to hang onto your bumper the whole race but that didn't work out. My gearing or my driving doesn't allow me to keep up with cars at the beginning of the front straight, I could hang on pretty well in the back section after turn 2 though.

A quick note on kill switches, I have seen some setups with a mechanical cable hooked to the key to allow the switch to be operated remotely. Seems like a quicker, cheaper, and safer solution than moving the switch itself to the driver's side of the car. I plan to add a cable so I can turn my switch off, currently only someone not strapped in can get to it.

..... I have seen some setups with a mechanical cable hooked to the key to allow the switch to be operated remotely.......

Yup, you see that in some formula cars too where the switch may be placed somewhere in the cockpit but, they then use a cable to allow activation from outside the cockpit. If you 'do it yourself' just have to be careful in the design that pulling the cable actually operates the switch.

.....currently only someone not strapped in can get to it. .......

Oh my, not good :eek: BUT better then having it so ONLY the driver can reach it :)

I don't know guys, 'back in the day'...Ya Ya.... It was common practice to put the master kill switch in the cowling just in front of the windshield on the drivers side (OUTSIDE) the cockpit. After all, the switch is really for the safety crew/turn workers. It is NOT a switch intended for use by the driver but, nice if he can reach it.

Last edited:
I like the thought of having two switches. One for those unfortunate situations where it's necessary to shut the car off from the exterior, and one for the driver's convenience. Whenever they shut the car down, they can kill the electrics to avoid complications while working on the car. It's easy to do, but take more wire, and good installation techiniques for dependablity.

Sorry to hear, Gary. If you need a new one, call Aaron at 509-999-9692. He's local and is typically cheaper then online pricing and he stocks them!

A little off-topic, Gary, but I think you and I both have a mutual friend in Ken Chappy. I'd love to meet up and chat racing with you some day. Take care.

James,

I think we met once before, I helped move Kristin out of the pig. We sat with them for awhile on Saturday during your race.

I haven't got final word yet, but it looks like GoPro is going to replace the camera and the roll bar mount.

The guy who started GoPro is an open wheel driver, I'm sure they're particularly generous with our kind :)

Back