ChumpCar World Series

As one of the Safety truck drivers for Cascade, I usually feel pretty comfortable when driving the track with you guys out there. I doubt I'll be as comfortable out there during Chump Car. I wonder just how aggressive some of the newbies will be out there? You know, the ones who show up at schools and completely ignore the instructor and continue to drive over their heads. Its going to be interesting and very long. Sure hope we have enough volunteers to keep from killing everyone off. Sure seems odd that we have a race every weekend in October, but not in August.

I have been in touch with the organizers and expressed my concerns, specifically regarding driver experience levels and safety. From their perspective, the miatas allow them to have a respectable field size given the short notice that such an event was to occur here in Portland. They also state that both noobies and experts have similar concerns about the other 'type' of racer hitting them, and they believe this shared apprehension will lead to good behavior. The organizers seem reasonable and I applaud them for that. I know that I would be apprehensive about putting my 'real' race car out on track in such a situation.

They are considering possible changes like a split start to keep the festivals clean at the start. I know however that some rookies will be skittish in traffic especially if they get inside a pack of SM cars. I'm the only racer on my team... plenty of DE experience but it just isn't the same. Will definitely be interesting.

These concerns are purely hypothetical but if there is one thing I have learned from racing it is that anything is possible and should be prepared for. Also that rules (and holes in the rules) will be exploited! We'll certainly prepare our car with as much safety gear as possible.

Regardless, I too am looking forward to getting out there and having fun, regardless of the field composition. As long as everyone plays nice, I am a happy camper! :D

Last edited:
Sorry this is quick, but it probably won't work anyways as this is the third time I have tried to post on this thread, but I am continually told that I am not logged in even though my screen says that I am. Anyways there is a worker car for our race volunteers at this years race and the race organizers have agreed to help us out on the entry fees in return with help in getting them more entries. So, if you are entering the race please mention our car. If you are thinking about entering the race please enter it.
Thanks, Bret Bienerth -here goes nothing as I attempt to post yet again

I'll be driving the one of the Safety trucks with Newt, Trunk Monkey, Grandpa Pettybone, Rooster, Radio Dave, Jazz-E... and other personnel as the hands go up.

Positions around the course are not filled up, so feel free to volunteer. It's gonna be a long night.

No event is bad for a first timer. Help is always needed. If your not running in the 6/12 hour enduro, they need help for that also.

I get him. I get him. I like first timers on the corners...

It will likely be the first time for a lot of us. I've never worked a 24 hour race before, and I'm stoked. I have always wanted to see a 24 hour at Portland, it's a nice benign Enduro race track with lots of amenities.

The Lemon's SHO will be there. Think we have the vaporizing fuel (bad design) and leaking exhaust (insufficient temporary patch) both fixed...

I just figured this out and don't know that I've seen anything about this in the race notes or forums.

THIS IS A 25 HOUR RACE!

DST ends at 2AM Sunday, November 1. We 'fall back' to 1AM and effectively repeat the 1am-2am block. I have looked at the currently posted schedule, and without accounting for this we were running 24 hours. Adding in the DST adjustment we get 25 hours.

Good stuff. Maybe we can take a time out to allow drivers to change the in car clocks. Or run the 're-do' hour in reverse!

I have emailed the organizers... whether the schedule changes or not, who knows. Perfect for the inaugural chump event!

No, there is a scheduled 2 hour 'timeout' from 6-8pm on Saturday for that purpose.

Edited: heard back from ChumpCar admins... a minor oversight it appears. Watch for updates I would assume. FWIW, supps were updated yesterday too.

Last edited:
Back