ChumpCar World Series

HangfireOne

Hey, all. Has anyone else heard of a new roadracing enduro for $500 cars? It's like the "lemons" race, but different. I hear the series is scheduled to kick off in Portland in October. There is supposedly a schedule and preview of the rules at ChumpCar.com.

Chump Car

ATTENTION

I have the perfect car - 85 BMW 318i - an 07 Altamont Speedway LeMons survivor, and more recently as an ice racer in BC. - see For Sale

Robert Barg

Last edited:
Hmm, they apparently don't do much racing in the Northwest. Scheduled an Enduro in Portland in late October, and the GCR doesn't allow windshield wipers!

Tom - not sure where u are getting that no wipers piece of info. Their bcr explicitly states wipers are allowed per 4.2.1.4.1

We hope to run our two Lemons cars in it.

also there is one set to SCR in Spokane July 24-25 2010!!!! (my home track)
so biuld a car get a team together!!
It's going to be cool.
http://www.chumpcar.com/
Check out there web site and tell your Freands.

I can't wait.
Tom do you need a seat for this? I may need another driver or two.

We are working on a Portland-based team right now as well. Probably still looking for another driver or two if anyone is interested...

Since I can't afford to do the 12 hour in the M3 this year I may accept an offer from the frozen north if the team gets it together in time. Sounds like an odd, but fun way to say goodbye to the 09' season for a change.
I'm told we all have to wear costumes, so I figured I'd dress up as a old fat man! Great idea eh?

We officially purchased our steed this week. Found a 83 944 on craigslist that has been sitting for a couple years in non-operational mode. Conveniently when we arrived to pick it up, it rained for the first time in weeks. Perfect. The chassis is solid but she'll take a little mechanical loving to get rolling again. Some kid half spray painted it black, must have ran out of money cause it will take another $5 can of spray to finish it up... first up is getting everything cleaned up and the fluids, filters, and brakes up to par.

Looking forward to the race! Although the wife is not necessarily fired up to have another race car getting stripped and prepped in the driveway/garage.

Looking forward to the race! Although the wife is not necessarily fired up to have another race car getting stripped and prepped in the driveway/garage.

LOL. My wife's okay with the racecar...it's the two other stripped-out, cut-up chasis in the yard that have her scrutinizing my "hobby" a little closer these days!

In case anyone missed it, new rule changes were posted today. The two main ones:

• Teams can now be as little as 4 drivers, down from 6
  • Spec Miatas are now allowed and given their own class

I am interested to hear other opinions, but personally I think it is a very bad idea to mix track newbies in $500 POS cars with experts in fully prepped race cars. For instance, I am the only one on my team with wheel to wheel experience. The others have some DE experience but... the point is that I doubt we are the only team like this.I can envision myriad ways in which this could go awry.

Anyway, still gonna enter and have a good time!!! :D Just some crazy changes midstream... Lots of prep to do to get this old beater running again.

Last edited:
In case anyone missed it, new rule changes were posted today. The two main ones:

• Teams can now be as little as 4 drivers, down from 6
  • Spec Miatas are now allowed and given their own class

I am interested to hear other opinions, but personally I think it is a very bad idea to mix track newbies in $500 POS cars with experts in fully prepped race cars. For instance, I am the only one on my team with wheel to wheel experience. The others have some DE experience but... the point is that I doubt we are the only team like this.I can envision myriad ways in which this could go awry.

Wow. I guess the current entry list isn't as big as they'd hoped.

Quote: "I am interested to hear other opinions, but personally I think it is a very bad idea to mix track newbies in $500 POS cars with experts in fully prepped race cars. For instance, I am the only one on my team with wheel to wheel experience. The others have some DE experience but... the point is that I doubt we are the only team like this.I can envision myriad ways in which this could go awry."

Well FYI, it is usually us, the experienced and licensed drivers, who cause most of the problems. We get used to and expect a certain level of professionalism and driving skill when we are racing and in a race like this one. It is more difficult for us to adjust to all the newbies and their unexpected and out of the norm behavior than it is for them to adjust to racing for their first time.

It is us the experienced drivers who usually go out and forget that it is a 24 hour long race and push passes we don't need to and get frustrated when the newbies don't perform to our expectations. The newbies are just trying to survive while we are trying to win the race with every lap and pass we make.

One other thing to keep in mind also, it got me in trouble at Thunder Hill, is that when we race in conference we quickly learn the cars and drivers, but in this race we can get a great conferece driver one lap, on the next lap we see it, the car could have a complete newbie in it.

All in all it sounds like a great way to have fun in October and I plan to be there.

How are you guys gonna get a SM down to 93 db?

I'd like to hear it... literally.

Easy! If you have a naturally loud exhaust like mine, you clamp on a muffler (did that at Mission to make sound). Honestly, my car sounded like a stock street car Miata with that thing on. Except for the screaming tires!

Back