Can anyone tell me...

Good discussion. I think it's a training issue partly, which will open the door to awareness at least, then a cultural issue, which will be enforced through peer pressure (or not). For what it's worth, I have been mulling this over for a while now, and have an idea of a way to try to address it. It would be facilitated by a change in the rules that would help the License Director focus on the issue.

The following text is actually my memo submission for the upcoming memo, but it can't hurt to post it here for early discussion and consideration. Since it's germane to the issue, even though there is a strong element of rules change discussion, I'll ask Steve to leave it on this thread instead of moving it over to the rules change section.

Here's the License Director submission for this memo. Please feel free to comment;

" We’re more or less halfway through this season and the Novice turnout this year has been very good, with many promotions to Area, and several to Senior. The ICSCC Novice program is highly regarded and a proven success, but there is always room for improvement. It’s my personal opinion, and safety indicates that we should train like we want to race, and in general the Novice training program is pretty darn comprehensive and follows this philosophy. There is one area that I’d like to enhance though.

Currently, per the Competition Regulations 703 C. 2., Novices have two practice sessions of at least 15 minutes each. I suppose it’s nit-picky, but as License Director I’d prefer that the sessions be branded as one practice session and one qualifying session. I will be submitting a rule change proposal, asking for your consideration to change the language in the Competition Regulations to reflect this change, because I think there is an important distinction that needs to be included in the Novice program if we are to train new drivers properly.

You may wonder, what is the distinction between a practice session and a qualifying session anyway? In conversations with lots of different people, for some there is no distinction, for others, there is a big distinction. There has been discussion recently on the Conference forum about this subject specifically, and I think these different perspectives are probably the basis for some friction and frustration out on the track during qualifying sessions.

For those of us that don’t see a distinction between practice and qualifying sessions, the session is just another opportunity to get some track time, maybe practice some different lines, or test some chassis adjustments. The urgency level is moderate to low in this case. On the other hand, for those of us that see the qualifying session as just that, the session is all about getting the best possible time. This means putting together as perfect of a lap as possible, with as few compromises due to traffic as is practically possible. In this case, the urgency level is very high, especially in classes where the cars are very closely matched and starting position has a huge impact on your race.

Functionally these two objectives are at odds with one another, and a large amount of cooperation, or maybe “coopetition” is necessary for everyone to get what they need out of the session. I guess a good place to start is to simply recognize that there are two different objectives trying to occupy the same space. This is the reason I feel it’s important to train new racers in both types of situations, so they will be able to both recognize, and to appreciate the difference and needs of each.

There may be some of you that disagree with this concept, maybe you feel that Novices should simply concentrate on track time, or that labeling a session as qualifying will change the expectations of the Novices when it comes time to set the grid for their race.

It’s true that we shouldn’t be putting too much pressure on Novices, and maybe calling one of their sessions a qualifying session adds too much pressure, but I think that’s something that can be managed through careful instruction and mentoring. Novices don’t have to cut their session short either, as one would normally do in a true qualifying run.

One way to approach the situation that I’d like to see, is to have the Novice driver prepare themselves mentally as if the session were a true qualifying session. Have them visualize a perfect lap, sharpen their focus, prepare a plan, and execute. Maybe plan for a three lap qualifying run, with a contingency for an extra hot lap if needed. One lap to recon the track and clean off and heat up the tires and brakes, one hot lap or maybe two depending upon traffic and how well the money lap went, and a cool off lap. At the end of the cool off lap, come off the circuit into the hot pit lane, simulating the end of the qualifying run. During a short interval in the hot pits, the Novice will reflect on the run, and make a conscious mental shift to recognize the difference between a qualifying run and lapping, in order to raise awareness of others possibly still on qualifying runs. Then go ahead and finish off the time remaining in the session to get some track time. Training like this gets Novices ready for the real world of the senior race groups, which is ultimately what we’re trying to do.

As far as setting the grid for the Novice race, changing the label of the second session to “qualifying”, does not change or affect the ability of the License Director to set the grid as outlined in the Competition Regulations section 708 A., so that is really a non-issue. Novices would be advised that their qualifying runs are a training exercise, just as the varied flag situations during their races are training exercises designed to make them better racers.

I’d appreciate it if you would please consider voting to approve this change, I think it will be one more element that when added to the training curriculum will build better racers.

Thanks,

Randy Blaylock "

Last edited:
Hi Randy,

As an Area racer (and hopefully Senior by the end of this weekend) who came up through the Novice program this year, I like the idea of labeling the second novice session as a "qualifying" session instead of a practice session as is currently the case. It's just more realistic that way. Perhaps you could discuss the difference between the two, along with the strategies and courtesies involved, during the Novice driver meeting every Saturday morning.

While labeling the second session as a qualifying session may increase the stress level of some (or maybe most) novice drivers, I think the novice drivers can deal with it effectively. I do like your suggested way of running this second session. Run the qual laps first, then come in to the hot pits & reflect, then go back out to get some more practice. I think that'd work well.

As always, thanks for the fantastic job that you're doing!

Novice/ARR/IRR experance slower car in fast group at Spokane

Randy I agree with your idea and supporting statements.

I have been out in some senior practices/qualifying sessions/races and have been told the following by different individuals:

"You were holding my guy up; I had to tell him to back off. You were the 5th wheel" Perhaps this individual said this in jest somewhat, but it did not come across that way and was not said with a smile. I thought whatever, maybe it was a "new guy hazing" as I was new to this run group. Or maybe he was trying to get in my head? I thought to myself (okay be a donkey hind end if you want. I am going to DRIVE away from you tomorrow. Which I did.:p) I was told this during a practice session. Yes I was "learning" my way around a "new" to me track. But I clearly thought I was not holding the other car up, in my mind at least. When I talked to the driver of said car he did not state that I was holding him up. He simply said he could not pass me in the areas where his car may have been stronger. And he was very pleasant about it.

I was also told to stay out of the way prior to a qualifying session. This came from a friend whose car is clearly much faster. I was not sure if joking or not. This was a non-issue as he got me on the straight on lap 2 of the session. I realized it was qualifying and for the benefit of both of us I was going to make it happen (if I could) in a place that would not hold either of us up.
This can be tough especially in GP1 with the Pro3's who want/seek/fight for the draft every chance they get. Depending on my car configuration for which class they can be as fast or faster or slower then me for the most part. I know they were trying to get a fast lap in tough larger class. But I also wanted my best lap too. But I was not going to out qualify anyone in my class so it was strictly a personal goal for me. I choose to wait until further into the session to seek my best lap as most of them would run hard for a few laps and pull in. It worked pretty well.

Then in a race I did what I knew better then to do. I was all alone due to car count in my class and speed differential. So I was trying to run a fast consistent race pace. Not sprint pace, but higher then say an "Enduro" pace. I saw a few much faster cars in my mirror; my spotter told me the same on the radio. I saw the blue flags. That is when I did the stupid thing and basically "got out of the way". This was really stupid at that point as I got in the clag/marbles and the car was a challenge to keep on the track surface. I knew it when I did it (duh). What are you doing?
I know to hold my line and be consistent. I also know to make a hand signal so the overtaking car knows I know he is there. If he is truly faster he will get by just fine.;)

I realize I tend to be "up" on the wheel and lean towards the aggressive side. Balancing that where and when is something that I am still learning.
Just like when I axle hopped on a downshift and gave the BMW race away. That may turn out to be a very good thing in my racing experience. I will always learn every lap on the track. I have upgraded to my IRR license now but that just means I am an IRR new guy. They need to get used to me/trust me and I the same with them.

The novice program is a fantastic place to start this journey. So much better the some of the "other" options I explored prior coming to Conference.

"Situational Awareness" Practice it, embrace it and you will become one with it.

Good times my friends, see you on the track.
Bring it!:D

Hi Randy,

As an Area racer (and hopefully Senior by the end of this weekend) who came up through the Novice program this year, I like the idea of labeling the second novice session as a "qualifying" session instead of a practice session as is currently the case. It's just more realistic that way. Perhaps you could discuss the difference between the two, along with the strategies and courtesies involved, during the Novice driver meeting every Saturday morning.

While labeling the second session as a qualifying session may increase the stress level of some (or maybe most) novice drivers, I think the novice drivers can deal with it effectively. I do like your suggested way of running this second session. Run the qual laps first, then come in to the hot pits & reflect, then go back out to get some more practice. I think that'd work well.

As always, thanks for the fantastic job that you're doing!

I couldn't have said it better myself -- so I'll just agree with Mike.

We hold a mock pre-grid and start at our driver's schools so students will be familiar with the process of getting to pregrid, geing gridded by our fine pre-grid volunteers, the five minute warning, the one minute warning, the splitter and the pace lap. We want them to have experienced this process so they can devote their concentration to their real task which is the safe and precise operation of a racecar moving towards the edge of it's performance envelope.

I agree with Randy - the novices should be experiencing a process that prepares them for the various demands of racing in a senior race group. Qualifying is an important one of those and routines for handling it should be developed. I might even go a couple stages farther - I like the idea of them qualifying and as long as it doesn't pose a clear level of increased risk it seems that they should be grid inverted. Drivers in slower classed cars or with a less aggressive mindset would definitely benefit from practice watching their mirrors for faster cars coming through the pack. Faster cars or more aggressive drivers need practice accomplishing safe and well timed passes without causing issues for slower cars. Since not doing these things can delay or prevent the awarding of an Area license, perhaps it would help teach both parties to keep each other safe while still enjoying spirited racing at a level that we can control?

A little cooperation can go a long ways! Great respect and friendships can result from learning how to get out of the throttle a half second early and delay your turn in for an extra ten feet to allow a faster car to slide inside - it also doesn't kill either car's momentum so the slower can exit the turn on the bumper of the faster and even pull a little draft down the straight. It's like motorized ballet when done right and doesn't ruin anybody's fun.

We run for trophys. I love to win, but so does everybody else so it doesn't happen all the time. In my VERY humble opinion, the greatest compliment at our level of racing might just be "Wow! What a great race - I can go doorhandle to doorhandle with that guy all day and know he will race me clean!"

Scott there have been many 'senior drivers' over the years that have taken themselves way too seriously. They will tell you to "move over, watch out, stay out of my way", etc. I always just smiled and said politely, "if you can get around, go around."
I can't imagine the amount of prize money that has been lost in Conference over the years because some area driver held up a senior driver for a few seconds in qualifying!

I too cast a positive vote for adding a qualifying awareness segment to the Novice porgram. I am a very recent area driver graduate having just completed the Blalock/Hill Brothers/Pasta Nova school in Spokane. A really great experience by the way. (I'm still driving my family and friends nuts talking about it).
While reading the comments it is embarrassingly obvious how I should behave during a qualifying run, unfortunately I was unaware what I was doing in my first upgrade level qualifier. I unintentionally blocked Dave Beagle at the onset of the session. Unintentional but still guilty. The upside is I got a chance to meet and know Dave better and I will certainly be more aware next time.
Specific training during the Novice session would help.
Randy, you mentioned voting for this change. When does rule change voting occur?

Each of us is a member of one of the clubs that makes up "Conference", be it IRDC, CSCC, SCCBC, NWMS, or TC. Please take the time to check in with your club to see when the next club meeting will be, it's possible or even likely that this will be your rules change voting meeting. Conference is unique in that the drivers make the rules, not some administrator. Please exercise your vote.

Back