Can anyone tell me...

Geez guys, it's Hugh's 1st post. Probably is his real name.

Hugh,

The objective of qualifying is to set the actual grid for a race. It's the time when drivers attempt to turn their fastest lap possible to be positioned nearer the front of the pack. Usually during a qualifying run you can find a relatively open section of track free of traffic to turn some fast laps. Thus demonstrating what you and the car are capable of. Some guys (with lots of money) will put a brand new set of tires on their car for the qualification runs (often there are 2 qual. sessions). And, a brand new set on for the race.

The farther forward you are on the starting grid based upon you qualification time, the less traffic you have to deal with to get to the front of the field and place on the podium 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

This IS different from a race in that during the qual session your goal isn't to lead the field. Rather, to find a traffic free area to go for several fast laps to place yourself on the grid. During a race, it's all about 'managing' the traffic you encounter and trying to use that traffic to your advantage in maintaining a lead over the next fastest car behind you. Chances are VERY LIKELY your fastest race lap will be SLOWER then you qualification lap. Unless you're at the front of the pack starting out. This is why 'lap records' are only counted when run UNDER RACING conditions. Qual times are not considered for track lap records.

Qualification sessions are 15 or 20 minutes long. Which means, get out there and get it done while also working on car setup.

Actual races for ICSCC Championship points are 30 minute long. Which means, deal with and use traffic to your advantage, maintain your pace and drive within your capabilities to finish all the laps in the race.

HUGH - COME OUT TO THE RACE at Pacific August 1/2 and see it all happening!

Look for a black with gold numbers Formula Continental #36 and say hello :)

Last edited:
It's the time when drivers attempt to turn their fastest lap possible to be positioned nearer the front of the pack. Usually during a qualifying run you can find a relatively open section of track free of traffic to turn some fast laps.

...This IS different from a race in that during the qual session your goal isn't to lead the field. Rather, to find a traffic free area to go for several fast laps to place yourself on the grid.

Curious. I keep finding individuals who think qualifying is racing. Especially when I catch faster classed cars. Maybe I am still too new to know the difference.

It is all about respect or the lack of it. During qualifying, when I drive an ITA car up the a** of an EIP that should be 1-8 seconds a lap quicker, each and every lap, that means I am on a flyer so get the f*** out of the way. Please don't race me into the next corner, it just slows us both down. I drive a slow car, maybe you can get a could exit off the last corner, catch a draft off me and get yourslef a good lap. I'll let you go if your on flyer.

FWIW this pisses me off almost as much as an out of class car F'ning up a good race with multiple cars in the same class. You always hear "I was trying to get out of yor way" for 3-4 laps. That is exactly why I didn't run Group 2 on Sunday at Spokane because the Neon was backing me up into Chris' and Jeff's Miatas on Saturday.

Rick Delamare
G2/5 #5

I think I have perfected the art of "keeping the he#$ out of the way" of the faster cars. I do my best, and still try to race the other guys near me, which are admittedly not many. Good news is the car is getting sorted out and getting quicker. The driver on the other hand has more work to be done on him (ie:me).

If anyone has a concern about me not giving them room I'd much prefer a friendly talk at the track and not on line.. easier to buy you a beer (after the races of course and only at the approved site at the track... don't want to honk off any track official ya know).

On the other hand, there are a couple of folks in the GP2 crowd who love to take the attitude that because I am slower than their car that I should do everything possible to stay out of their race line. Doesn't matter that I have a right to a line or that it takes longer for my underpowerd car to get back up to speed.. I guess they think this is my problem and not theirs, or that they have the "right" to slow me down more. Some get mighty aggressive when passing and taking corners even if I am at my turn in point and they are not that close. I have had to keep my left eye on the track ahead and the right one on the rear view, waiting for them to dash under me. If I did not "expect" or anticipate them to take the line from me I'd turn into them. Who is wrong in that case? I know what our rule book says, but I also know the attitude of some folks.

I don't want to name names, it doesnt really matter. What matters is like Rick said, so KEEP THE RESPECT for everyone out there, slow or fast.. We need to be aware of what is happening and not get caught up "racing" someone we don't have any business racing.

Kyle,
You do just fine. My issue is not with cars of disparate speeds. They should stay on line and the faster car will pass. I am talking about going into a corner with someone locked up on the inside edge during qualifying. Or just being a menacing rolling chicane in the corners then opening up all their horsepower skills on the straights.

FWIW, passing cars with a high speed difference is not as easy as it would seem. It takes a bit of experience to really realize where the two cars lines might intersect and how to plan for that. That doesn't mean that you should get off line or out of the way though. Sometimes a slight adjustment from each driver will keep the pass clean and safe and will not net a signifcant loss in laptime.

Cheers,

Rick

Using words on me like "disparate" is dangerous... My word list is a simple one...

Thanks, I figured you weren't talking about me.. I was supporting your point of view from a tail-draggers angle. I have some pretty good video of some of the shenanagins going on.

(I know shenanagin is a long word for an Okie, but I have a bit-o-Irish in me too don't ya know").

Actually, we had an interesting experience in Edmonton with a "Qualifying Race". Rather than gridding by best lap times, they gridded by finishing position - sort of ... but only within a class. Then they gridded the classes based on fastest to slowest (GTP1-GTP4), except for Pro3 and vintage (we were the anomalies), who were gridded at the back, even though we were generally faster than GTP4, and faster than a bunch of the GTP3 cars who were hellishly fast on the straights, but parked it in the corners.

The concept of the "qualifying race" didn't really bother me, it was just different. I think the concept went sideways when they tried to put the classes together.

Hey Rick,

Define 'too slow' for us, can ya? ;)

And what exactly is "in the way"? Is that a perceptual thing? Or a perpetual thing?

I never said "too slow". You're gonna have to take another shot.

I am taking about cars of similar speeds and lap times. Lets take Group 2 qualifying for instance. The H4 cars are faster than the Miatas but not by much and in different sections of the track. I'll often give the Miatas a tow or a push down the straight and not be in the way in the braking zone and first third of the corner where they are the strongest. The H4 cars tend to be stronger on the 2nd half of the corner and straights as we have a bit more power. This is courtesy and respect.

Not quite apples to apples but you can apply a similar etiquette to the race. On the start, anything goes every (wo)man for himself to see where things settle out. Last year, I ended up in the top 3 after the start with 2 EIP cars. After a couple of laps I pointed Alan by to allow him to have a go at the overall and class leader. Alan was being horibbly and furstratingly blocked and after a bunch laps, let me have go. A few more laps of being frustrated and a broken bumper, I pulled out of line to so Alan had the last few laps to make an incrdedible lunge and pass for the lead and the win.

Point being is we can still race each other and be cognizant of who is acutally racing who, especially those in class.

Rick

Ken,

I appreciate all you contribute, even if I can understand only half ot (my small brain, not your big words).

You are correct when you ask "So who's gonna tell 'em? ". We have a great novice program. Some folks may like the way it is ran at one track -vs- another, but that is not as important as that the program itself lends to better drivers overall. We need to ask ourselves what can we do to improve the program, and not take up much more time than we already give to it (the blood out of a turnip thing).

I see the BMW and Miata folks working with novices, I see the H4 folk and the PRO7 people work with theirs, and especially the OW crowd. I am sure it happens in other groups. Then there is the rest of us.

Maybe we need to add a level of mentorship into the novice program. Now don't tell me we dont have time for it. If the senior and area drivers were "assigned" (for lack of better word) a novice to work with during their program, not to teach them how to set their car up or fix it, but how to be aware of the things we have discussed here, and more, then the result will be a better experience for everyone when they get to the actual races.

Back