A quick note from the Spring Meeting

Hey, I see there is a class for us Legends dudes in the March Enduro races. It would be an interesting trial to see if we could get a Legends car to make a 6 hour haul. Why do I feel I might regret this next statement? Any drivers interested in trying this with me?
Norm Smith
Legend in his own mind

Sorry Steve, I guess I should have recognized that.

As for the thinking for enduros...I like 'em!

The race announcement, schedule and supps for the IRDC enduro are posted on http://irdc-racing.com/irdc_enduro.htm

There are new classes this year, called "limited" that make it very easy for anyone to bring out their regular sprint race season car to race the enduro, with no special equipment of any kind, and compete agaianst each other for class honors. Check it out.

<PERK> Huh? What....rushing to IRDC now...:D

I see a class designation conflict has developed.

We have C/SR's and F/SR's in sprint racing. But in the Enduros they are all lumped in to E/SR which I assume stands for Endurance Sports Racers. However, E/SR is the 'normal' sprint racing class for the Legends!

So, what do the Legends do? Spell out "Legend" on the side of their cars :confused:

Yes Lance, and one tire only per stop. Teams can change more than one tire if they move the car to the paddock, which will take more time than an ordinary pit stop, but there is no fueling in the paddock once the race has started.

The idea is to provide a class for people to race their cars against each other that don't want to spend money on a fuel cell, refueling equipment, multiple sets of wheels and tires, and so on. A person also wouldn't need more than one or two crew.

Interestingly though, cars racing this type of class in other enduros have finished higher overall than the unlimited type classes quite often.

Richard, The "E" prefix denotes "enduro", or, classes and class rules specific to enduro. The sports racing class is ESR, no right slash, for Enduro Sports Racer, not E/SR. It's an all encompassing class for all sports racers.

Regarding Legends, I suppose the rules should have had an explicit passage excusing them from adding a "Legends" class designator to their number, but as a practical matter, don't you think it's pretty obvious which class they're in?

Last edited:
I certainly hope that the two back-to-back week-ends with ORP and Mission can be changed, or one of those tracks will see very low entries. Also, why three races at ORP the first year? That seems a bit much to me, and really makes for an overly scheduled and volunteer stressed season. 2009 was tough enough on our workers, but this schedule is really asking for problems.
I know there will be changes in the next few weeks, and I hope that common sense prevails...

.... Richard, The "E" prefix denotes "enduro", or, classes and class rules specific to enduro. The sports racing class is ESR, no right slash, for Enduro Sports Racer, not E/SR. It's an all encompassing class for all sports racers.

Yes that's what I assumed and said in my post above.

.... Regarding Legends, I suppose the rules should have had an explicit passage excusing them from adding a "Legends" class designator to their number, but as a practical matter, don't you think it's pretty obvious which class they're in?

Indeed, Legends are Legends and that's obvious, to us. But the spectators may get confused seeing ESR on the side of sports racers AND on the Legends cars. They are NOT racing in the same class.

Perhaps as they are indeed designated as "E" SR in sprints, for the Enduro's they could add an "L". So they'd race Enduro's as LESR.

P.S.
I'm an old guy. A/SR, B/SR, C/SR, D/SR is the way we used to do the classes. Sorry, I'm still in the mid 20th Century :redface:

Last edited:
Hey Wes, can you refresh my memory a little. I know I know, I'm asking the wrong person. When we had those discussions a couple of years ago about trying to fit a double race weekend in a standard Sat/Sun weekend, Werent we told by members of the executive that under the then current rules for how a race weekend is scheduled it was not possible to put on a double race weekend in only two days?

4 - 250+ mile haul (from Seattle) races this year? I guess whomever wins the championships will be the ones who can afford days off for travel and fuel! I strongly agree with Wes. The economy is not going to get any better by then, and fuel is starting to get more expensive.

I guess the class designation and definition could be more clear for Legends for the enduro. Legends are in their own class, and have their own class designation, "Legends". They are not in the ESR/Enduro Sports Racer class. The Legends have to meet their own class rules, which could have been more specific to say, their own INEX class rules.

I'm diggin' the idea behind the new enduro 'Limited' class. I think that will help to boost entries. As for the strength of such a car against the 'unlimiteds'? I think many folks might be surprised about how competitive a 'stock' car could be. The point is, afterall, keeping the car on track, doing laps. Simple can be better.

A double race on a two-day weekend has me all excited. I like that Conference is willing to try something different. I for one plan to attend that race for sure so that I can see first hand how it works. I think this format has some real value to workers and drivers alike, in the big picture, that is.

Regarding the schedule, I'm all for more time racing. Having said that, I do share the concerns of others that a full race schedule could stretch the workers and fellow racers. On the other hand, maybe adding more races to the schedule will allow for greater chances to make more races (that is, more chances that the race schedule could match up with a personal schedule). Trying to think positively here. After all, there are over 400 licensed drivers in Conference (or at least voting members) plus the occassional 700# drivers that show up, perhaps this will help boost attendence on average?

I am curious about points, however. Was it discussed at the meeting about how the rule now reads? With only 10 races counting, that means that if someone attended all 14 races, then four would not count towards points.

Just my $.02

Hey Wes, can you refresh my memory a little. I know I know, I'm asking the wrong person. When we had those discussions a couple of years ago about trying to fit a double race weekend in a standard Sat/Sun weekend, Werent we told by members of the executive that under the then current rules for how a race weekend is scheduled it was not possible to put on a double race weekend in only two days?

Thomas,

You ARE correct. We (as in a bunch of us) posted possible weekend formats to fit 2 races in to a 2 day weekend. Maiintaining 'normal' start and stop times it worked with some changes to the length of races. Something like a 20 minute one Saturday (what was afoil of the current regulations) and a 30 minute one on Sunday.

It also involved a modification to the Practice/Qual sessions which many riled against. Then 9 months later somebody brought up combining Practice/Qual in to a single activity for a different reason and most were in favor... Go figure.

Looks like they are trying it at tracks where we aren't under a stop deadline so they have extra time. Hard on the support staff though.

Like Rich said, we did try to garner some interest in a new event format, which I've tried 3 or 4 other times over the last 10 years Thomas. It will have to happen sooner or later, but sooner would be gooder!
We discussed a committee of sorts to work out the details this season with an end to submitting a rules change proposal in November. I guess we'd better get on that. February 14 might be a good time to start eh? We'll bring the beer!

Some things to note:
  • The ITX class, approved at the Fall Meeting as a provisional class for ITA-classed cars, was rescinded by the E-Board. It was then re-approved by the E-Board with the addition of ITB- and ITC-classed cars to the ITA cars. (Basically, they made it more inclusive.) The ITX rules from SCCA SFR will NOT be used.

Is there more information about this class?

There is, but I'm not sure where you'd find it. In a nutshell, ITX in Conference for 2010 is a class that allows ITA, ITB, and ITC cars to run in Group 2.

Love in it...

I'm diggin' the idea behind the new enduro 'Limited' class. I think that will help to boost entries. As for the strength of such a car against the 'unlimiteds'? I think many folks might be surprised about how competitive a 'stock' car could be. The point is, afterall, keeping the car on track, doing laps. Simple can be better.

A double race on a two-day weekend has me all excited. I like that Conference is willing to try something different. I for one plan to attend that race for sure so that I can see first hand how it works. I think this format has some real value to workers and drivers alike, in the big picture, that is.

Regarding the schedule, I'm all for more time racing. Having said that, I do share the concerns of others that a full race schedule could stretch the workers and fellow racers. On the other hand, maybe adding more races to the schedule will allow for greater chances to make more races (that is, more chances that the race schedule could match up with a personal schedule). Trying to think positively here. After all, there are over 400 licensed drivers in Conference (or at least voting members) plus the occassional 700# drivers that show up, perhaps this will help boost attendence on average?

I am curious about points, however. Was it discussed at the meeting about how the rule now reads? With only 10 races counting, that means that if someone attended all 14 races, then four would not count towards points.

Just my $.02

+2 on both Mike.
I love the limited enduro class. I also support the two races in two days.

Yes there is a lot of travel and I know I can't make all the races so I will be selective on the ones I do. BTW has nothing to do with two dayers it was just this seasons plan I am forced to deal with.
But I am still going to look at the glass as half full and give them all a chance. If the glass gets tipped over and breaks then I will drink from the can or bottle.

Even though the schedule Randy originally posted is subject to change... Is this correct from his original post? July 31-Aug 1, IRDC at PIR

Back