A quick note from the Spring Meeting

Steve Adams

Just this guy, ya know?
Some things to note:
  • The schedule is essentially done, but two of the clubs requested up to two weeks (could be much less) to work out a couple things before we release the schedule. There are 14 championship races, 4 of which are doubles (i.e., two week-ends) and the first ORP race (yea!) is a double-points race.
  • There is much to be worked out in this regard, but there is the potential for there to be 4 or 5 opportunities to run endurance races at Conference tracks and hosted by Conference clubs over the course of 2010, beginning with the IRDC enduro in late March and ending with the CSCC enduro in October.
  • The ITX class, approved at the Fall Meeting as a provisional class for ITA-classed cars, was rescinded by the E-Board. It was then re-approved by the E-Board with the addition of ITB- and ITC-classed cars to the ITA cars. (Basically, they made it more inclusive.) The ITX rules from SCCA SFR will NOT be used.

Oh and, duh, one other thing: With the reclassification of Formula Ford as Formula F (to allow for modified Honda Fit engines) by SCCA, the E-Board has frozen Club Ford rules at the 2009 GCR definition. As for Formula Ford... I can't remember for the life of me. I think they also froze Formula Ford at the 2009 GCR definition, with the thinking that Conference FF drivers could then decide by the Fall Meeting if they wanted to maintain things that way or choose to switch over to Formula F. If this is, in fact, the case, that would mean Formula F would run Formula Libre in Conferenc for 2010 (at least).

Do I have that right? Li'l help here. ;)

I still wanna know how those formula cars are gonna fit (no pun yet) the new class on their cars. Formula F!@%$#@%$

We have been making up different meanings for "FF" for years. I see no reason to change the class designators between Formula Fit, and Formula Ford. They're all Freakin' Formula cars. But FL for the "Fits" sounds good.

Those transistional periods always mess with our minds.

If I understand correctly, the only conversion kit that Honda has designed so far is for the Swift DB-1, DB-6 and Van Diemen FF's newer then 1999 but they are working on others. Of course, somebody could buy a 'legal' FIT engine and do their own conversion.

ZERO engine kits will be available until at least March of 2010 thus, the FIT engine is NOT legal in SCCA FF racing until March 1 which may be put off to April 1.

In addition to the above the "POWERS" intend (through Quicksilver) to have the FIT engine (initially) tuned to put out slightly less power then a 'good' Kent. I cannot see anybody jumping on to the conversion band wagon unless they are sitting with a blown Kent in their car. And even then it's looking like about $12,000 for the conversion kit from HPD. Not exactly chicken feed pricing.

Furthermore, with the cost of a NEW FF pushing into the $50,000 range I can't see a slew of NEW FF's showimg up to race with ICSCC because of the FIT engine.

The ONLY currently known advantage to the FIT is highly extended engine life between rebuilds which is a good thing for any class of racing. The question of 'equalized' performance is still an issue.

Guess my point is, disallowing it for 2010 as a 'real' FF will probably have a zero effect on anybody in ICSCC unless some SCCA racer shows up with one to 'test' with ICSCC.

NOTE:
CF is an SCCA regional class. Allowing the FIT in CF will be up to the individual regions/clubs to decide.

ICSCC actually has very few FF's running ( 90% CF's ). Unless Mark Keller wants to convert his DB-1 (run by Blackjack Racing) I don't see it impacting many others.

So, if the FIT WERE allowed in ICSCC as a real FF, it would not close the door on potential new racers while leaving the CF rules (90% of our drivers) as Kent/Cortina only for at least 2010.

Last edited:
Some things to note:
  • The schedule is essentially done, but two of the clubs requested up to two weeks (could be much less) to work out a couple things before we release the schedule. There are 14 championship races, 4 of which are doubles (i.e., two week-ends) and the first ORP race (yea!) is a double-points race.
  • There is much to be worked out in this regard, but there is the potential for there to be 4 or 5 opportunities to run endurance races at Conference tracks and hosted by Conference clubs over the course of 2010, beginning with the IRDC enduro in late March and ending with the CSCC enduro in October.
  • The ITX class, approved at the Fall Meeting as a provisional class for ITA-classed cars, was rescinded by the E-Board. It was then re-approved by the E-Board with the addition of ITB- and ITC-classed cars to the ITA cars. (Basically, they made it more inclusive.) The ITX rules from SCCA SFR will NOT be used.

Thanks Steve,

Can someone post the unofficial race schedule they have now or is that a secret?

John Rissberger
# 10 Camaro Oregon

A tentative was posted back in December. Doubt if the tentativeness of this has changed a lot.

April 24: PIR (or ORP)
May 1: PR
May 15: MRP
June 5: PIR
June 26: MRP
July 9: SRP (double race weekend)
July 24: ORP
August 31: PR
August 14: PIR
August 21: MRP
September 25: PR (or PIR)
October 9: ORP

Should be official within two weeks;

March 27-28, IRDC 6 hr enduro at PR
April 24-25, CSCC, non-chicane at PIR
May 1-2, IRDC at PR
May 15-16, SCCBC at MRP (tentative, may change)
May 22-23, TC at ORP
June 5-6, CSCC at PIR
June 19-20, TC at ORP
June 26-27, SCCBC at MRP, two day double race weekend
July 9-11, NWMS at SCRP, three day double race weekend
July 31-Aug 1, IRDC at PIR
Aug 14-15, CSCC at PIR (tentative, may change)
Sept 18-19, CSCC at PIR
Sept 25-26, IRDC at PR
Oct 2-3, TC at ORP
Oct 15-17, CSCC enduro at PIR, duration TBD.

I'm currently involved in having a new Formula F built with the recently approved Fit engine to run in ICSCC. I ran a FV last season in group 6 and found the car to be just a bit too slow! So last fall I started looking for a quality FF to run in 2010. ( the search for the perfect race car continues! ) I spent lots of time talking to the guys in Group 3, and reading the various forums, and I soon discovered that SCCA was on the verge of approving a new engine for FF. I have to admit, that the idea of a truly modern engine really appealed to me. So when SCCA did approve the new engine, I started looking for a good DB-1 to buy and convert to the Fit. During a conversation with Steve Raymond at AutoSpa, I learned that a builder back in Wisconsin was building a new FF chassis for the Fit engine. For the first 5 cars he was offering a price very close to what it would cost to buy a used DB-1 and convert it to the Fit. I seemed like a no brainer to me. Time will tell if I made the right decision. :)
I read the ICSCC rule book and it was very clear in 1306.B.2 that "Formula Ford ..... shall meet current SCCA regulations." It seemed clear to me that if the Fit was allowed in SCCA, then it would be allowed in ICSCC Group 3 Formula Ford. I certainly hope this will be the case. I look forward to running in Group #3 and suspect most of the Club Ford guys will take me to school! If I'm not reading the rules correctly, I sure would appreciate a little education so I can make the appropriate plans.

David VanAmburg

I'm currently involved in having a new Formula F built with the recently approved Fit engine to run in ICSCC....... During a conversation with Steve Raymond at AutoSpa, I learned that a builder back in Wisconsin was building a new FF chassis for the Fit engine. For the first 5 cars he was offering a price very close to what it would cost to buy a used DB-1 and convert it to the Fit. I seemed like a no brainer to me. Time will tell if I made the right decision. :)

I read the ICSCC rule book and it was very clear in 1306.B.2 that "Formula Ford ..... shall meet current SCCA regulations." It seemed clear to me that if the Fit was allowed in SCCA, then it would be allowed in ICSCC Group 3 Formula Ford. I certainly hope this will be the case. I look forward to running in Group #3 and suspect most of the Club Ford guys will take me to school! If I'm not reading the rules correctly, I sure would appreciate a little education so I can make the appropriate plans.

David VanAmburg

David,

GOOD DEAL! Who is the builder in Wisconsin? Sounds like something JNovak would do and if so, he's good.

I doubt there's any question that the FIT will (has to be) allowed in to ICSCC as a genuine FF at some point. I'm going to guess that the E-board made this decision to delay approving the FIT in to FF in 2010 based upon a (perhaps) assumption that it would have to be approved for CF also right away.

Even if you have to run as an FL for the 2010 season, it will give you a good shackdown period.

Really looking forward to seeing your car!

the board voted yesterday to freeze our CF anf FF rules as per 2009 SCCA FF rules. Unfortunately that means any FF with the Fit engine will not be able to run in Group 3 with Formula Fords. You will still be able to run in group 6 as a Formula Libra

No labour day race but I am concerned about the double race in June on a two day weekend. The rumor I am already hearing is cars on course at 830 and end of day at 700 pm for the Saturday, not sure about Sunday, and a special race group has also been approved for that weekend. That has the makings of extremely long days especially when things go wrong. Is the lunch break going to be shortened to accomodate, will there be a dinner break? Does that mean we run late/short drivers on time? Either way that is asking a lot of volunteers. We already have a hard enough time attracting volunteers as it is and I cant see this making things easier. I wouldnt be suprised if this actualy scares aware volunteers.

FWIW, I was asked NOT to post the schedule as discussed yesterday specifically to prevent this sort of discussion. Wait until it's been finalized and THEN we can all freak out about stuff. :D

Should be official within two weeks;

March 27-28, IRDC 6 hr enduro at PR
April 24-25, CSCC, non-chicane at PIR
May 1-2, IRDC at PR
May 15-16, SCCBC at MRP (tentative, may change)
May 22-23, TC at ORP
June 5-6, CSCC at PIR
June 19-20, TC at ORP
June 26-27, SCCBC at MRP, two day double race weekend
July 9-11, NWMS at SCRP, three day double race weekend
July 31-Aug 1, IRDC at PIR
Aug 14-15, CSCC at PIR (tentative, may change)
Sept 18-19, CSCC at PIR
Sept 25-26, IRDC at PR
Oct 2-3, TC at ORP
Oct 15-17, CSCC enduro at PIR, duration TBD.

Randy,

Looks like 15 points races in the list. I assume one will disappear, among the tentatives. Also, can you spill anything on the Enduro thinking for the season?

Thanks - your information is always appreciated!

Dan

No labour day race but I am concerned about the double race in June on a two day weekend. The rumor I am already hearing is cars on course at 830 and end of day at 700 pm for the Saturday, not sure about Sunday, and a special race group has also been approved for that weekend. That has the makings of extremely long days especially when things go wrong. Is the lunch break going to be shortened to accomodate, will there be a dinner break? Does that mean we run late/short drivers on time? Either way that is asking a lot of volunteers. We already have a hard enough time attracting volunteers as it is and I cant see this making things easier. I wouldnt be suprised if this actualy scares aware volunteers.

Good Greef Thomas,

The glass is not empty, the sky is not falling, it will be OK.

Having some "tenative" information is a good thing.

I for one appreciate have an idea of a tenative schedule!

John Rissberger
#10 Camaro Oregon

Sorry Steve, I guess I should have recognized that.

As for the thinking for enduros...I like 'em!

The race announcement, schedule and supps for the IRDC enduro are posted on http://irdc-racing.com/irdc_enduro.htm

There are new classes this year, called "limited" that make it very easy for anyone to bring out their regular sprint race season car to race the enduro, with no special equipment of any kind, and compete agaianst each other for class honors. Check it out.

Back