2014 Schedule

jimmc8

While I realize that it is very early and nothing is finalized, is there any way that one of the "in the know" folks could give me a heads up on what the tentative 2014 schedule will look like. I've got a bunch of travelling to be planned and would like to be able to work around the race weekends.

Thanks in advance.

This is what was discussed at the Fall Meeting. It is, obviously, not carved in stone, and I make no claims that it doesn't contain mistakes on my part:

DateEventClubLocation
January 11ICSCC Spring MeetingAllSeaTac Marriott
March 1RATS MeetingAllSeaTac Marriott
March 29Driver TrainingCSCCPIR
March 29Driver TrainingTCORP
April 5Driver Training / Test and TuneIRDCThe Ridge
April 6Spring EnduroIRDCThe Ridge
April 25Driver Training / Test and TuneCSCCPIR
April 26/27Race #1 (rotn 6)CSCCPIR
May 9Test and TuneIRDCThe Ridge
May 10/11Race #2 (rotn 1)IRDCThe Ridge
May 29Test and TuneNWMSSCR
May 30 - June 1Race #3/4/5 (rotn 2/3/4)NWMSSCR
June 13Test and TuneIRDCPR
June 14/15Race #6 (rotn 5)IRDCPR
June 27Driver Training / Test and TuneCSCCPIR
June 28/29Race #7 (rotn 6)CSCCPIR
July 11Driver Training / Test and TuneTCORP
July 12/13Race #8/9 (rotn 1/2)TCORP
Aug 8Driver Training / Test and TuneCSCCPIR
Aug 9/10Race #10 (rotn 3)CSCCPIR
Aug 29Test and Tune*SCCBCMission
Aug 30 - Sep 1Race #11/12/13 (rotn 4/5/6)SCCBCMission
Sep 19Test and TuneIRDCThe Ridge
Sep 20/21Race #14 (rotn 1)IRDCThe Ridge
Sep 27/28Driver TrainingCSCCPIR
Oct 18Fall EnduroCSCCPIR
Nov 1Driver TrainingTCORP
ICSCC BanquetAllSeaTac Marriott
ICSCC Fall MeetingAllSeaTac Marriott

And again, just about every date is double schudeled with either SCCA or Sovren, who's dates have been out since Sept.

Really nice all groups work together in order to be able to get not only drivers but track officals.

That theory would work out well if it was only those two organizations and Conference that needed to coordinate track schedules and nobody else laid claim to the tracks until those three had worked out which dates they wanted and where. More importantly, and I know you're aware of this, which means you're just sh*t-stirring, but Conference dates are worked out with the tracks long before we officially publish them.

I know there's one Conference event (Cascade's, I think) that had to move off its "traditional" date because some larger, big-money group came in and took it, despite years of "tradition" on the club's part.

Steve,

I think radio Dave's main point is; Most of the core track workers do ICSCC events ALSO do SCCA and SOVREN. Don't you ever wonder why on some weekends ICSCC events seem to be short of workers? Like corners with only one flagger or maybe two instead of three? That's because the 'worker crew' have divided up based upon their individual preferences to support a particular club.

With just a little bit of thought and working together, it might be possible to avoid Stewards walking through the paddock trying to find car crews to go out on track. Nothing like a solid staff of untrained workers to make an on track situation 'safer' :)

It may still be okay today. But the day will come when there just won't be enough people and a race weekend will be canceled on Saturday morning. The attitude of to heck with the workers, do the schedule and they will come won't last long unless you have a whole lotta people waiting to join the workers staff in 2014?

Last edited:
FWIW, Team Continental has changed its Driver training/Test & Tune from July 11th to July 25th, and moved its race
weekend from July 12th/13th to July 26th/27th. As per conference P&Ps none of this is official until after the
January Executive board meeting where the schedule is approved/confirmed.

Steve,

I think radio Dave's main point is; Most of the core track workers do ICSCC events ALSO do SCCA and SOVREN. Don't you ever wonder why on some weekends ICSCC events seem to be short of workers? Like corners with only one flagger or maybe two instead of three? That's because the 'worker crew' have divided up based upon their individual preferences to support a particular club.

With just a little bit of thought and working together, it might be possible to avoid Stewards walking through the paddock trying to find car crews to go out on track. Nothing like a solid staff of untrained workers to make an on track situation 'safer' :)

It may still be okay today. But the day will come when there just won't be enough people and a race weekend will be canceled on Saturday morning. The attitude of to heck with the workers, do the schedule and they will come won't last long unless you have a whole lotta people waiting to join the workers staff in 2014?

Dave's main point appears to be a sarcastic comment about how the clubs don't work together to schedule their dates. My point is that it's unrealistic, given the number of interested parties involved (many of whom have no incentive to help "competitors"), and that there's no "to heck with the workers" attitude but simply a limited selection of week-ends available to ICSCC clubs for scheduling races.

.....(many of whom have no incentive to help "competitors")....

Actually Steve, there is!

Dealing mainly with this area, both SOVREN and SCCA suffer from the same shortage of workers as ICSCC does (you're all sharing from a common workers pool). To top that off, both SCCA and SOVREN have limited events. Simply avoiding a conflict with SOVREN's Spring Sprints, 4th of July weekend, Fall Finale and SCCA's Double National weekend in late May would do an amazing amount of good.

Seeing as the other clubs seem quicker at getting their schedules out :) there are NO conflicts with SOVREN in 2014 and shouldn't be any with the SCCA double in late May.

Last edited:
I understand your point about the common worker pool, but the "competition" is both for tracks and participation from a "driver pool" for ICSCC/SCCA/NASA, and to a lesser extent SOVREN/VSCCA. Additionally, not only are the "mainline" tracks lucky enough to have a lot of interested renters --i.e., more competition for ICSCC-- but week-ends like the US' Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day are obviously in limited supply. I can't imagine, for example, the various road-race groups around here "sharing" the popular week-ends year-over-year, can you?

> SCCA's Double National weekend in late May would do an amazing amount of good.

There's no conflict with SCCA Majors Weekend either at Pacific or at PIR. Memorial Day Majors are the week before the Spokane race.

Rage rising ...... can't control metamophasis ........................ HULK SMASH!!!!!!!!!!
For once Rick you are a man of few words. Well put though!
You and I have been there, I this year to see how much effort we all do in fact to avoid conflict. Some things are unavoidable, but unless you were part of the effort all you can do is sit back and ***** or deal with it.
It takes too long to explain how each year's schedule comes about. Think 6 tracks, 4 car road race organizations (+ motorcycle, drag race, bicycle, cart, etc), 5 member clubs within ICSCC and 25 weekends max in the season. So next fall please get close to your local club's E Board Rep and race committee and see what you can do to improve it.

Thanks Greg - All I can say is the current Boards of the various ICSCC clubs should be proud of themselves. These schedules are EXTREMELY hard to put together in a way that pleases even some of the people. After two years of constant bitching about back to back races from the members they have put together a great schedule and addressed that problem as well as humanly possible.

Nice work folks, I know how hard it is to do and you have done an outstanding job.

From Steve Dave's main point appears to be a sarcastic comment about how the clubs don't work together to schedule their dates. My point is that it's unrealistic, given the number of interested parties involved

I was not trying to be sarcastic in my earler post. What I was trying to point out was, there are several dates that are doubled up with other groups and as even Richard said, 90% of the 'officals' work these other events and even some of the drivers try to run them.

Double dateing has been going on for a LONG time and some years are worse then others.

Myself and others have stated that there is no reason that ALL groups cannot get together so that a better schudele can be had.

I know that NWRSCCA and Sovren started working with Pacific in April for this year and that they also worked with ORG.
One of the things that I have said in the past is, 'why wait so late in the year for next year' and I hear things like 'we wait for the tracks. what?

I have also asked why does ICSCC dates have to be 'approved' by the ICSCC Board in Jan/Feb and I have recieved the answer that 'THIS IS THE WAY WE DO IT" Does not make since but what ever.

Any, just my thoughts.

I have also asked why does ICSCC dates have to be 'approved' by the ICSCC Board in Jan/Feb and I have recieved the answer that 'THIS IS THE WAY WE DO IT" Does not make since but what ever.

I know there are a LOT of things (many of which are competing or even contradictory) that go into coming up with a viable (which means different things to different people) schedule, but I don't understand this, either. Must be someone out there who knows and can explain... anyone?

......I have also asked why does ICSCC dates have to be 'approved' by the ICSCC Board in Jan/Feb and I have recieved the answer that 'THIS IS THE WAY WE DO IT" Does not make since but what ever. Any, just my thoughts.

Yes, I've wondered about that for YEARS too. SCCA and SOVREN have their schedules published by mid to late November and ICSCC is Jan./Feb. ?? Strange as noted by the reason for this thread. A racer trying to figure how to mesh the race schedule with the rest of his life early in the year.

Per Safety 3/Radio Dave: "Myself and others have stated that there is no reason that ALL groups cannot get together so that a better schudele can be had."

See, that right there is why it is so hard for me to be politically correct on the forums. It's as if we have every opportunity to make everybody happy but we don't just becasue it is more fun to be a dick.

There are ABUNDANT reasons why all groups involved cannot "get together" and create a schedule that pleases everyone. The mere act of making that statement indicates that the writer has ZERO idea of what goes into the process. What do Unicorns, Minotaurs, Bandersnatches, Jackalopes, Sasquatches, and Perfect Race Schedules have in common? They are all fantastic mythical things that can't exist in the real world!

Comes down to a simple question - if there is a schedule conflict, who is supposed to CANCEL their event?

A quick look at the schedule shows:
9 Conference weekends
5 NASA weekends
6 SCCA weekends
6 WMRRA weekends
6 OMRRA weekends
7 Sovren weekends
5 All day drag weekends at Pacific alone

Whats that add up to? FOURTY-FOUR weekends to fit in a season that is generously about TWENTY-SIX weeks long, without even considering any other major week-end events and the innumerable other groups that compete for week-ends at each and every one of the tracks we want to contract with - thats just counting the major ones we all are familiar with. The way you make the season nice and easy for everyone is to cancel your events and let your COMPETITORS hold theirs. If you have some magical way of fitting that many events into the week-ends available, then you would be a billionaire because everyone would hire you in a second to do their scheduling.

In the end, the people vote with their attendance. If a schedule date makes you unhappy, don't attend and that date and eventually the club that schedules it will go away leaving more room for everyone else. It's like lions eating little baby antelope in Africa. Nobody likes to admit it can't really work any other way and nobody wants to watch it happen but it is the natural way of selecting those that continue and those that weren't strong enough.

Thanks again for the excellent efforts at scheduling, from someone who understands how difficult it is.

Last edited:
Rick, "perfect" schedules aside, do you happen to know why ICSCC waits so long to officially announce our schedule? There might be historical reasons for it, but it seems like we could maybe announce at the Fall Meeting, barring some conflict/issue that needs additional time to resolve.

The PPM…

"14.2 DISTRIBUTION AND PUBLICATION SCHEDULES

14.2.2 Based on the annual race schedule, as established by the Executive Board at the Spring
Meeting, Memos containing race announcements and race entry forms shall be mailed no later
than 35 days prior to any ICSCC championship race.

16.3 DATE APPLICATION(S)
All applications for driver training dates must be submitted for approval to the Executive Board.
Dates shall be requested at the Fall Executive Board Meeting. Final approval of dates shall be
made by the Executive Board at the Spring Executive Board Meeting when the annual schedule is
discussed, approved, and adopted.

The Regulations…

E/C 703 E. The race groups will be set by the Executive Board at each Fall Meeting. The order of the race groups for the event, as designated under 703 (D) & (E), shall also be published in the race announcement. With prior approval of the Race Steward, the Race Chairman may split and/or combine the race groups to maintain size of grid. Formula or Sports Racing cars may not be combined with Production, IT, or GT class cars, except that Novice Race Groups can be combined at the License Director’s discretion where scheduling and/or group size considerations dictate.
Any club that puts on three or more races may have one race without Novice Open Wheel. No more than two races in succession can be run without Novice Open Wheel. Races that do not have Novice Open Wheel must be declared at the Spring Executive Board meeting so that they can be so noted in the published race schedule for the coming season. Club race announcements must also declare that no Novice Open Wheel race will be held"

It's on paper, not in stone.

Back