2014 runoffs at Laguna Seca

In the same class, a driver must participate in a minimum of three separate U.S. Majors Tour event weekends and have a minimum of three individual race finishes

Exactly what's so difficult about that???

Not anymore. Still, for someone on the West Coast, qualifying based on 3 Majors appearances still meant racing in Seattle, Portland and somewhere in California. That's quite the commitment, given the cost of entering a Major, etc.

Next year (and I am hoping to qualify, if I can scrunge up enough money for the travelling), you'll still need to enter 3 Majors, but finish in the top 10 in points. Or enter 4 regionals (do we even have 4 SCCA regionals around here?) and finish in the top whatever it is.

Has the decreased difficulty in qualifying affected the quality of the races? Simply put, in most classes, if they only invited the top 3 in each division, they'd have 10 cars show up. Oh wait, in most classes, that's a large field!..

Nope, winning the runoffs won't get you a spot in Indy anymore.. But I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a trivial achievement. Certainly depends on the class, but in most cases, winning the runoffs is still recognized as a significant feat.

I'm good enough to recognize I have zero chance of getting on the podium at the FV race, but I will still give it my best shot to attend and participate. The Runoffs won't be at Laguna again in a very, very long time - if ever. The combination of events that allowed this to take place seems to have been pure luck, so I'll do what I can to take the opportunity!

Last edited:
Seattle is a DOUBLE so you need one more.

And your comment about 3 top finishers and only 10 show up is the whole point! They couldn't draw the cars with the old system so they changed it to fill the field and get the cash.

I know you're a dedicated racer Tiago and I have faith you'll make it. Trust me if we still had a car I'd be fighting to get us there too. Just to say you've done the Runoffs is a worthy goal. Imagine what it was like when you were racing the best from across the nation instead of just those with the cash and vacation time to do it. But then, you do get the cream of the field from the regional area where the race is held.

Last edited:
Seattle is a DOUBLE so you need one more.

Language states three majors weekends, not three majors races ( could be three races minimum over those three weekends). No guarantee Seattle is a major next year either. You are only allowed two major weekends per division and norpac division also includes the nor cal tracks. Regardless, one of your majors has to be out of division, but not necessarily in the western conference. For instance it is a shorter tow for us in Spokane to miller or high plains if either has a major weekend next year than it would be to Fontana.

Here's what NWR and OR SCCA had THIS year.

March 15-16 -- Driver School
March 16-17 -- Restricted Double Regional, PIR - Groups included are: 1,3,5,6,7,8
April 13-14 -- Double Regional, The Ridge, presented by Northwest Region SCCA
May 4-5 -- Double Regional, PIR
May 25-27 -- Double Majors, Pacific Raceways, presented by Northwest Region SCCA
June 14-16 -- Rose Cup Regional/Rational, PIR - Paddock Maps: South Rose Cup Race Format
July 5-7 -- Double Majors with Restricted Regional & Formula Car Challenge, PIR,
July 27-28 -- Double Regional, The Ridge, presented by Northwest Region SCCA
August 23-25 -- TRIPLE Regional End-of-Season-BLOWOUT, PIR (moved from September)

I will bet a cup of coffee WITH cream that a Double Majors counts as two. Let's not let our Conference background over-ride good semantics. Of course y'all are welcome to confirm the fact.

Seems like they wouldn't write it that way otherwise. I see four SCCA major events there.

Here's a copy of the schedule of ORSCCA last event. http://www.oregonscca.com/media-library/documents/roadrace/2013/july fcc fri-sat 5-31-13 final.pdf

So who's gonna take their ICSCC 'stuff' to Laguna Seca next year? The next one won't be for awhile. Maybe by the time that the Ridge is ready.

Last edited:
3.9.2.a.1 of the gcr. Weekends and races are different. But we are not here to argue semantics/intentions of authors that don't matter, just wanted to clarify. We will probably take the mygale down so long as events don't clash with Icscc/FC races up here too much.

Here's an explanation afforded to Mark Estes on Pdxracer@yahoo just recently, for qualification to the SCCA runoffs from Todd Butler our local Area 13 Director guy.

"Short answer yes, you have to qualify for the Runoffs with a combination of participation and finishes and points accumulation.

This link: http://www.sfrscca.org/content/view/9511/292/

Provides a good summary of the various paths.

At a high level there’s 3 ways to get there:

1) Participating the SCCA Majors races. These are our national-level races, points are counted and scored against competitors across the US.

We’re planning on 6 Majors in Western Conference next year, 2 in the Northwest again, 1 in San Francisco region, 2 down in So Cal and 1 in AZ.

2) Division Racing. These are races in Northern Pacific Division (NorPac), Washington, Oregon and Northern California (San Francisco) SCCA.

a. You need to be in the Top 3 of your class in Division or top 5 if racing Spec Miata or SRF.

The above #1 and #2 are guaranteed Runoffs qualified. Note that a Conference Area license is good for Regional SCCA races, but you must have an SCCA national license to race in the Majors or at the Runoffs (That license grade “national” will morph to something else next year, but the point is it takes an SCCA license to race in the Majors or Runoffs).

3) Division racing. As above. Except instead of Top 3 or Top 5, the Top 50% in class in Division will receive invitations on a space available basis. Same criteria as #2 applies. This means if there is room in your class at the Runoffs and you are in the Top ½ of the division in your class, you can enter."

Thanks ken. Good to know now what the season is going to look like than having to wait til January.

Also looking back over the thread national license might also need to be addressed. First there are no nationals after this year, just majors and regionals so will it still be called a national license and will the qualifications be the same? Assuming they are you can submit Icscc races as regionals for licensure purposes so there should be no need to run scca regionals to get a national license. Should also not assume this to still be true and check with the license director to see current policy, though I don't believe any Icscc racer has had problems with it before.

Last edited:
You can send an E-mail to Dick Raymond requesting a waiver to obtain a National license. auburnracer@sbcglobal. Fax # 707 303 7408, Phone # 707 303 7332.
Here’s the list of the things that Dick Raymond, the Divisional Licensing Chairman, usually expects to see:

· A request from the driver for a waiver;

· A completed License Application Form using bank cards for the requisite fees so he can complete the transaction with Topeka via FAX

· A racing resume (attached to the License App), including the most recent track time including races as well as possibly just plain old track days;

· A completed physical form or confirmation that there is a current physical on file with Topeka;

· Proof of membership or a completed membership application;

The fastest way to handle these things is usually FAX or email with PDF files of the documents attached.

G

Back