2014 runoffs at Laguna Seca

Will never happen. When the infield was the old lake bed they could have done it. But now that they've filled it in with more track, I doubt they can handle 500 to 600 cars.

They announced it a couple hours ago. Done deal. Apparently they only get 450 cars at the runoffs now. And about 425 giant trailers :wink:

Does someone have an idea where a Pro3 car would fit in? (class / run group) Would love to go to Laguna

There are many that have waited for this 'change of venue' policy to bring some equalization to the SCCA National level racers. Some haven't lived to see it, but now the Runoffs will rotate to better accomodate. And in our life time.

And Laguna "sponsor name here" Seca really is the best choice. Rack 'em and stack 'em.

The Runoffs are for National Classes, and Pro3 is originally loosely based on an Improved Touring "S" level of modification (ITS). Improved Touring is intended to be a set of Regional Classes so there is really no natural home for a Pro3 car at the runoffs unless things have changed drastically since the days when I paid close attention.

The Runoffs are for National Classes, and Pro3 is originally loosely based on an Improved Touring "S" level of modification (ITS). Improved Touring is intended to be a set of Regional Classes so there is really no natural home for a Pro3 car at the runoffs unless things have changed drastically since the days when I paid close attention.

You could look into E-Production with your Pro3 Car. If you are interested in going to the Runoffs for the experience, check the SCCA GCR and see what is allowed for your car.

Terry

Wonder how this will affect NASA's positioning at Miller with their "National Championship". Not positively I would guess.

Qualifying for the runoffs is reasonably feasible too. My car is now in GT2, Hmmm....

......Qualifying for the runoffs is reasonably feasible too.......

That is part of why the "Runoffs" are now so "unimportant". WHY too easy for the last few years to make it in. With no serious TV coverage any more it doesn't give class winners much exposure any more. Used to be Runoffs winners were a sought after bunch for Daytona, Sebring, Le Mans or European racing series.

Not really a lot different now to qualify than it was 24 years ago when I went to Road Atlanta. You still have to run a minimum of 4 Nationals and score enough points to qualify. Just like back in the day some classes are harder to qualify in than others. Minimum points to qualify are based on national participation levels so if you are lucky enough to be in a class that has a high national level of participation, but a low level of local participation it is a walk.........if you are in an area with higher than average participation and three guys who were in the top 10 last year at the RunOffs it is not so easy.

Unfortunately you are right that being an SCCA National Champion is no longer a recognized path to the upper levels of professional racing. Better to buy into a lower level pro series where you won't get embarrassed by those pesky middle aged local drivers that populate amateur club racing.........nothing like getting destroyed by some 60 year old guy in a spec racer to derail a would be Indy Car driver.

In the same class, a driver must participate in a minimum of three separate U.S. Majors Tour event weekends and have a minimum of three individual race finishes

Exactly what's so difficult about that???

Used to be you had to compete in enough races to be in the TOP THREE in your class in ALL of the Northwest region with no more then 2 races out of division. And, that used to be a serious challenge when people were racing.

The only way the 4th place finisher in a class got to go was if one of the first three didn't sign up. Now, you can finish 7th or 14th and still get an invite if you have the three finish's in.

Last edited:
http://www.scca.com/clubracing/content.cfm?cid=44472

Those that don't have an SCCA National level license can make plans to fix that at the start of the 2014 season. ORSCCA has, or has had a school/regional three day endeavor each March for many years. And with a good score card from ICSCC, I don't doubt that it wouldn't take but a couple races for some to upgrade. It's not like they can't use the business.

Not to deter from ICSCC Championship interests of course, but there are a lot of cars out there, and I think that it would be outrageous if some of the PRO3 cars would fit into a National T(?), or Production class, or some such. I do so get tired of watching the alphabet production group's victory laps and it's every car in the group with a checkered flag in their hand.

SCCA provides lots of information for those that might consider what their chances are to achieve some National Amateur Race Championship. And just down the street at the Laguna Seca.

Not an unworthy goal. All racing being relative.

Here's another little nugget...

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/assets/2013_National_Participation_MAY.pdf

Check it out.

Last edited:
Back