New Class for Spec Miata's?

Just a little more information on SCCA creating a new regional class STL for Spec Miatas and others. ITA was never going to reach a national class status partly due to the inability to assure tech compliance.

Hence, STL which is a fairly broad based group with more latitude, has been created as a regional class but intending to ultimately become a SCCA National class much like STU.

Not 100% correct on this, but it has been mentioned that a couple of non-compliant issues for spec miatas in ITA is changing out front spindles and converting the 90-93 cars to a '99 torsen diff.

Obviously, Conference can continue to include SM in ITA Group 5 if that is the consensus of the board. Stay the course as they say.

Differentials are open in ITA from what I understand. As for Spindles I might have to revisit the rules but I know that IT, you are allowed to change some parts between different year (but same model) cars. Example: The 1988 CRX si had rear drums but the 1991 Si had rear discs so the ITA rules allow a person with a 1988 CRX si to swap his rear drums for rear discs legally.

2011 GCR Improved Touring said:
a. Any final drive ratio is permitted provided it fits the stock differential/
transaxle housing without modification to the housing.
b. Any limited‑slip or locked differential is permitted. In AWD
cars, the center differential must remain stock.

edit: I just read the NASA 2011 Spec Miata rules (and 2011 SCCA GCR SM rules) and could not find anything about Spindles. Please point me to where there is a "spindle" conflict between Spec Miata and ITA.

As for ICSCC... Conference is completely unlike NASA and SCCA... there are no "powers that be" in the ICSCC (that rhymes). Unlike NASA and SCCA, the ICSCC members are the power. This reason (for me) is why I think ICSCC is so freakin' awesome! And you can quote me on that.

It appears that there's a bigger issue at hand.

:Correct me if my understanding is wrong but my understanding is this:

STL appeals to SM drivers as a 2nd run group vs ITA on the grounds that STL has the potential to be a nationally recognized class which ITA supposedly isn't. This national class recognition means the SM drivers would be able to double enter into a nationally recognized class. HOWEVER, I don't think submitting a new class into Group 5 in the ICSCC will help create the "nationalization" movement of the currently regional class of another racing organization. What I would recommend is that if STL ever becomes nationally recognized by the SCCA, then go ahead and petition to add it to group 5 in ICSCC. No point in complicating Group 5 in the "hopes" that STL goes National.

Last edited:
Back