WOW!

Richard Broadhead

Flag & Com
I just watched a show on SPEED titled "The History of SCCA Racing" which it wasn't... lol

But it was a GREAT review of the Trans-Am series hosted by Sam Posey. There was also a brief piece showing the 1976 Trans Am race at Seattle (which I believe is still the last Pro race run there). Good show if you can catch it.

SCCA Trans-Am

I just watched a show on SPEED titled "The History of SCCA Racing" which it wasn't... lol

But it was a GREAT review of the Trans-Am series hosted by Sam Posey. There was also a brief piece showing the 1976 Trans Am race at Seattle (which I believe is still the last Pro race run there). Good show if you can catch it.

Richard, you can find the Pacific Raceways Pro races listed on ultimateracinghistory.com

I had seen that review before and it brought back some memories. I will be attending the Watkins Glen vintage wknd in Sept. and the HTA group will be there.

Robert Barg

Thank you, Mr. Barg

I cannot remember the year of the last T/A at Seattle International Raceway as it was called in 1984. The Ultimate Racing History link lists "Pacific Raceways". That was my novice year of with F&C and I thought that their last event was a year or so later. Hopkins Int'l, was the big local sponsor. They also helped make the two runnings of the Tacoma Grand Prix (amongst some local amatuer venues) through the '80s.

A bunch of us (the names shall conveniently evade me) traveled/and slept hippie commune style, on a 40 passenger "Church Bus"... which holed a piston on the trip from Portland, sucked about 13 qts of oil to get home. Too bad too because it was a pretty cool '50s GMC bus.

This was taken at one of the CART races @ PIR (First one in 1984).

Church Bus.jpg

Many of these people here, were also there... Pretty sure, anyway. After awhile it gets a little hazy.

I wish now that I had persued my call to race marshalling sometime in the '70s after some real wheel fun at a TC Dr.Trng event (more names lost...). I may have gotten to be part of those 'heavy metal' days of the SCCA T/As.

I just didn't look look over the wall back then. When the muscle cars were still roaming the streets.

We salute you,

Bluto Salute.jpg

Last edited:
I recall working the hot pits for that race, and a few IMSA races as well. Didn't see the show, but now that Speed has become ultimate fighting, football, etc we have only Velocity and Fox Sports with F1 and Indy to rely on. What a bummer...

Back