With Great Sadness

We were just informed of the the death of Don Souter, a long time turnworker and META member.
Don was killed when his plane crashed in Courtenay on Sunday.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
He will be missed.

Lynn Rimmer
META Member
ICSCC ROD Director

Another bit of our character, lost. His heart was in his flying, and working at the races carried him around the country(s) as another of his passions.

I'm glad that we got to share some time with him at Rose Cups this year.

God speed Don.

High Flight - John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of—wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air....
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark nor even eagle flew—
And, while with silent lifting mind I’ve trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

with great saddness

Don did so love flying and working the races. Some of us were fortunate to spend time with him at the Edmonton Race just a couple weekends ago.
He had to fly a commercial flight, when an electrical problem with his airplane did not allow him to fly himself to Edmonton .

Would someone please post an address for his family so we may send cards of condolence.

We have received an update for Don.
There have been no funeral arrangements made yet, it will be another week or so, but if you wish to send cards, here is the address for Don's sister.

Mrs. Anna Bruce
419 Davis Street
Comox, BC V9M 1K4

Donald William Souter

SOUTER Donald William October 26, 1956 - August 2, 2009 It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved Don. Left to mourn are father, Bill, sister Anna, brother-in-law John and niece Maggie. Many cousins and extended family were also close. Don was born in Burnaby and had firm roots there, working for the City since his teens. He involved himself in sports and was always active. A passionate outspoken yet caring and generous man, he was ready to help anyone anytime. Don never married or had his own children, but was interested in assisting kids of all ages to do something good with their lives. Through his hobbies, Don had a wide social network that he kept up with often. Several very dear friends will miss his happy outlook on life. Don traveled the continent on many occasions to pursue his hobbies of flying, auto racing, photography among others. He was a lifelong learner and was part way through a degree program with the University of Phoenix. No formal service is planned at this time. Several of the groups that Don was involved with are holding their own memorials over the next few weeks. In lieu of flowers, donations to the BC Cancer Foundation, Children's Hospital, Canadian Warbirds Museum or any charity of choice in memoriam would be appreciated. The family would like to acknowledge all the calls and cards of support during this very difficult time. Arrangements entrusted to: Comox Valley Funeral Home, Courtenay, BC 250-334-0707
Published in the Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on 8/15/2009

Today's Vancouver Sun and The Province obituaries

Back