Who says it is better to buy a built car??

OK OK I sometimes I wish I would have. I know I would be more competative out of the gate and would have had way fewer headaches.

That being said I am having a blast doing it all myself. There is a real sense of accomplishment when some pain in the a$$ part is finally done. (removing my steering lock
wall.gif
) I also now know the car a lot better. There are a few other reasons not least of which is that everything is done the way I like. (well most things:p)

Just thought I would share this for others going through what I am or trying to decide.

Now to answer my own questions: ME. I would suggest it to anybody that doesn't like the tinkering part. I have spent way more money than I should have.:eek: Don't tell my wife if you see us at the track.:eek:

I'v been out in the garage all day so now it is time to go bandage up my hands,take a handful of pain pills and drink a beer. Maybe I should have started with a beer. :D

Last edited:
Awesome Scott. Sounds like you are getting close!

I am getting really close. Had to stop today though because the Mocal oil cooler we ordered was put on back order. Just got an email that it shipped today, but it won't be here for another week.

I went with a pre-built car because I'm not what you would call mechanically inclined. I tend to break stuff or set random objects on fire through no particular fault of my own. I also want to focus on driving, i didnt want to spend a substantial amount of time working on the car. I dont mind doing basic stuff like fluids and what-not, i there is a definite advantage of doing the work yourself in case something "big" breaks at the track you can fix it yourself.

Pretty much every single person i talked with prior to getting an SM told me to go the pre-built route.

Congrats. It is always fun to tinker and figure things out for yourself. I am interested to see how your car competes, I ran my vr6 in Autocross, and a LOT of track days, and always thought it would make a great race car, but never had the balls to make take it to that level. Looking foward to seeing you this season out on track.

I bought someone else's race car, not so much for the car, but for the development.
Mike got 99% of the bugs out of it. So when I started racing, I could worry about me
and the car took care of itself. And before I 'improved' the car, I had to match
his times...

It was a good way to go- for me.

I'd build the next one... maybe...

t

After killing a couple of built Rabbits, I think I may have taken a step backwards in driver development after I decided to build my 81 jetta from scratch with the left over parts. A lot of time and energy spent just figuring how to put it together RIGHT! One of the greatest feelings I got was the First race I competed in with the car that I built. It wasn't fast, but it held together well and was surprising I didn't have more problems.

It was a great experience going through novice with a turn-key race car, but you'll have a unique notch in you belt for racing one YOU built. Good luck.

Tyler

:rolleyes::rolleyes:Steve- It is getting really close. A couple more days in the garage and I should be set. Good to hear you are making progress. That thing is going to ge a monster.

Brad- I am told they are fun to drive but hard to compete against. They make good power it is just hard to get it transferred down. I don't have the huge money to do the custom suspension they say will make that happen. I don't really care. It will be fun to drive and honestly more car than I need for the first year anyway.

nathan- That is exactly what I am talking about. If I didn't have the love/hate thing when it comes to working on cars I would have bought a complete package for sure. Trust me there are many days I wish I would have.

Now when the bench racing starts I can always say: I could be quicker if I had a little more time in car setup... The driver is all sorted. :rolleyes: :cool:

I'll never forget bringing home my first car to build into a racecar, paid $75 for it, I not only didnt have a racing license, I didnt have a drivers license. 4 months later at 15 with my sisters drivers license number I applied for and was given a NASCAR license. that began the season of learning to survive in the cruel world of dirt track racing with some very unforgiving people. Heres my first car, its the 16 car, 65 Merc Comet. I didnt start it but it ended my night.

http://www.calclub.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2020&size=big&cat=&ppuser=205

Black Betty was my trasition from dirt to asphalt, she died a gruesome death at the old highbanks of San Jose speedway when the right front went down going a 100mph into turn 3. Last year for hollowed out unibody convertables in NASCAR'S Late model sportsman class, car weighed 2400 #s with a 850 cfm carburated 351 making 500 hp. One of the few times I ever got hurt in a racecar.

http://www.calclub.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2021&ppuser=205

Scott, your in good hands with this group, your competitors will teach you first to be safe, then how to run right up with them. After my sports racer is done I think im going to retire and just play occaisionally. pass the torch to you Scott.

PS
This girl is still for sale, offers entertained.

http://www.calclub.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1823&size=big&cat=&ppuser=205

http://www.calclub.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1936&size=big&cat=&ppuser=205

Last edited:
Back