What type of transponder do I need?

yota599

Sean Peters
I need to buy a xponder for my car before the season starts. I'm looking for one that hardwires to the car, but thats all I know. I have no idea what to buy or where to look or how much to spend or what features I should look for. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks,

Sean Peters

MyLaps appears to have introduced a new version of that transponder this year. I have no experience with it, I have the same old one that Jim has.

The new one is a lot cheaper ($228) than the old one ($499) and their website says it's compatible, but you'd be testing its compatibility for the rest of us.

https://www.mylaps.com/en/products/x2-transponders-car-direct-power/1319

Looking at their product web page, it's not really clear if the new transponder works without their annual subscription. I really hope they haven't done this, but the new transponder seems to have a "subscription" light on it.

Last edited:
Cheaper.. maybe... They've adopted the ever popular 'subscription model'. So the $228 version includes a 1 year subscription (I think it's $94 every year after that) but I cannot tell if the transponder works just as a transponder if your subscription lapses in a year. I suspect it would still work but you will want to call them and verify. If that is the case then it makes sense to buy the cheaper X2 unit.

Back