Voodoo Economics

greg_coffin

Or the fallacy of valuable track time.

There is a reoccurring argument that some groups do not pay their fair share of valuable track time....you all know who I am talking about......

The calculation basically takes the number of cars in the race group, divides it be entries and multiplies by 100 to determine a misleading percentage to support a variety of arguments.

The bottom line is revenues not the distribution of track time is what matters.

That said if one must do the calculation please do it correctly and determine the total revenue generated per race group.

Just for fun let's run the numbers for the upcoming IRDC race shall we.

The trick is to determine which entries are primary and which are secondary in the double race entry category......simple in 2, 3, 5 and 6, a little harder in 1 and 4.

Fortunately group 1 is the clear winner and group 6 is the clear loser based on 30 and 11 entries respectively, but what about 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Group 5 has 18 entries, 7 primary, 11 secondary

Group 4 has 15 entries 9 of which are double entered so let's say 11 primary and 4 secondary

Group 3 is 16 entries , 13 primary and 3 secondary

Group2 looks like 15 primary.

So revenue rank per group is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Who saw that coming?

More important group 1 is the only group that might be paying their "fair share" of costs, everyone else's are offset by group 1 and Special Race revenues.

If I didn't know better, I'd think that all that calculatin' was being done in the basement of some government office building in that other Washington...

That sounds brutal!!
Lo and I got back from Yurp on Tuesday and I thought the flight back from Amsterdam to Atlanta was bad.
Where were you, the dark side of the moon? LOL
By the way, picked up some Belgian chocolate for your crew chief (and you, of course).
See y'all at Spokane in July.

Dollars per minute per mile per the temperature and wind shear and # of cars on track is all smoke and mirrors. We all get the same number of minutes per event, and regardless of car count per group that does not change. I run in G3 with perhaps 15 or 20 other cars for 85 minutes per week-end, (but usually less at PR), and the drivers in 1,2 or 5 get the same exact minutes for the same exact dollars. We seem to be dealing with the typical impatient modern model of so called efficiency, where any down (dull) time is a bad thing. Our same 7 groups, ( not counting the recent addition of these so all important money generating special races ), have been around for decades, but suddenly it is an issue. Really?
The only drivers benefiting are the special race folks who would seem to be getting more laps for less money according to the entry fees I'm seeing. Conference was once heavily supported by OW, and SR, when any car could run with that group, but we are merely tolerated these days while many factions continue to plan either our merging, or our demise.
60 minutes on the schedule per Sunday over the course of a season to tolerate 3 & 6, and our $$, doesn't seem too much to handle, but apparently it is for some.
I realize that I will be regaled with multiple paragraphs of mind numbing math proving me dead wrong, but all I can say is that Conference was once an organizition that prided itself in having a place for everyone to race, and Lord knows we've all suffered through years of multiple classes offering only 1 or 2 cars per year, and certain CW groups that were tiny not so long ago.

Back