Veterans Day

blandt

OW Racer
I would like to say thank you to all that have served and to those that are currently serving.

God bless,

Tim Bland

You are welcome. I would also like to remember my father pvt,1st class Irving Jones, 101 airborne, Killed "D" day 1944. RIP G

I'll add the uncle that I'm named for but never met. Robert Lee Jacobsen, KIA July 20, 1953 in the final week of the Korean conflict in an artillery barage. Also my father, Ron Jacobsen who served in the dying days of WWII, through Korea and Vietnam. 27 years in the canoe club, as he refers to the US Navy. Finally there is my oldest son, Ross, currently serving in the US Navy. They have all gone the extra mile.

"Wecome Home to all"!

My Dad:
WWII, Korea - Silver Star, 2 Bronze Stars for Valor, 2 Purple Hearts

Me:
Vietnam Vet - 2 tours

Brother "Dude":
The guy who hauls us to Portland in that big brown truuck. About 10 years in USAF Reserves

My dad was in both WW II and Korea also, 3 Silver Stars and a Purple Heart.

Today is their day, and I'm very happy to see the patriotism around us that unfortunately wasn't there in your day Rich. We have our share of vets in Conference, and I salute all of you on this day. Thank you gentlemen.

Thanks to all the Vets on this day and everyday for that matter.

And to my namesake (Uncle) which I to never met Lt. Mark E. Estes Bomber Pilot KIA. WWII.

For my Dad, PFC US Marine, '53-55, for my Uncle, 119th Inf Regiment, 30th Inf Div, WWII, D-Day, the Break-Out, Bastogne, Rhine crossing, 4 years there, for Carl, PFC, US Army, Injured in Iraq, 2003, medically retired.

To all who serve, served and to the families who stand and stood with them and kept the homes going.

Kyle Nickels, US Army, MSG (ret)

A big salute to my dearly missed father, Harold S. Hilton, Sr. who:

Served in World War II onboard a Navy Fletcher Class Destroyer as a Gunnery Officer on the USS Hoel. While during a screening/suicide mission, helped to keep the southern half of the Japanese navy from reaching the Island of Samar in the Leyte Gulf of the Phillipines, had his ship lost during battle and spent 3 days in the ocean before being rescued. Deemed one of the "...greatest naval battles of all time..." and one of the greatest naval "mismatches" of all time. Over a thousand U.S. sailors lost their lives that day.

Wikipedia has a good summary of that fateful battle, October 25th, 1944:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_off_Samar

I was honored to serve in the U.S. Army from 1979 to 1985. First as a Cavalry Scout doing border patrols on the West German/Czech border. And then after helicopter flight school at Ft. Rucker AL, was assigned to the 2/10th Air Cavalry Squadron at Ft. Ord CA as an Aero Scout/Reconnaissance pilot flying OH-58/Bell 206 helicopters.

And another big salute to all of you who have served and are serving today!

Last edited:
A big salute to my dearly missed father, Harold S. Hilton, Sr. who:

Served in World War II onboard a Navy Fletcher Class Destroyer as a Gunnery Officer on the USS Hoel. While during a screening/suicide mission, helped to keep the southern half of the Japanese navy from reaching the Island of Samar in the Leyte Gulf of the Phillipines, had his ship lost during battle and spent 3 days in the ocean before being rescued. Deemed one of the "...greatest naval battles of all time..." and one of the greatest naval "mismatches" of all time. Over a thousand U.S. sailors lost their lives that day....

Hal,

The Battle of Leyte Gulf is well remembered to this day within the Navy and especially to destroyer sailors. Even now Detroyer Squadrons (when departing Hawaii) for deployment to Wes Pac will often conduct exercises recreating the destroyer maneuvers in the Leyte Gulf battle.

That was the biggest sea battle between Men-of-War since the British/French battle at Trafalger.

I remember it well. Becuase during one such reenactment, our Conning Officer missed a command to reduce speed (from all ahead flank) and we dang near rammed the ship in line ahead of us!

He ordered the rudder HARD to starboard and the only thing that saved us was the Captain. He was on the bridge and took command. Cancelled that order and called for 15 degrees starboard rudder. Instead of crashing nose first into the back or swinging around and slamming the tail into the ship ahead (yes it was that close), we slid right up alongside her!

A BIG salute to your Father and you for your service!

To all the Destroyer sailors.

U.S.S. Bausell DD-845 in seas (my old home).

Last edited:
Cool story, Richard. I love those old ships. My dad served in the Pacific theater on a US Navy subchaser during WWII. I know he was involved in the Okinawa campaign as well as a bunch of other smaller ones. Spent time in China, too. His wooden (yes, wooden!) 110 ft "ship" was among the smallest Navy ships to go out with the deep water fleet. He still speaks glowingly of his subchaser.

I did my time in Army Aviation and was a UH-60A/L mechanic/crew chief. Did a tour of Iraq in 2005 (OIF III). The tour guide sucked! I'm currently in the IRR :eek:

Last edited:
What would be cool is if there is a race on Armed Forces Day next year (May 15th) we all wear our uniforms for something during the weekend... I can still squeeze into mine.

I served on the USS Braine DD630 and the USS Higby DDR806 from 1961-1964. Both ships had their gun directors removed by kamakazi attacts durring the Okinawa campain. My battle station was in those replacement directors.
I also served as a merchant seamen in Vietnahm. G

What would be cool is if there is a race on Armed Forces Day next year (May 15th) we all wear our uniforms for something during the weekend... I can still squeeze into mine.

Not me. I weighed 140# then. Pushing 210# now. One tour in Korea 1962, 63.

Good idea however.

My thanks also to all of those that have served, are no longer with us and those who have served and race with us today. I proudly flew my US flag yesterday in memory and thanks to all.

.... My battle station was in those replacement directors. I also served as a merchant seamen in Vietnahm. G

ME TOO! ME TOO. Were you the Weapons Officer or an FT?

GQ in Gun Director as the MK-25 Radar operator. Often ran a beacon for shore bombardment. Was also in charge of maintenance in the MK-25. At see duty was armed guard on the ASROC System.. Ugghhh Also rotated to Bridge Watch once in a while.

Funny tidbit about merchant marine in the Vietnam waters.

We were cruising along one night at darken ship preparing for shore bombardment and had an equally darkened contact on the radar within close coastal waters. Highly unusual as there were no other ships of the fleet near us.

The Officer of the Deck made radio contact with the vessel and asked it to identify itself. Must have been a smart-a$$ guy on bridge duty as he started wising off. The OD called the Captain to the bridge (irritated of course) and the Captain contacted the vessel getting the same smart alick remarks back. Finally he had enough and said over the radio.....

"This is a United States Man of War. Turn your running lights on and identify yourself or we WILL open fire!"

That ship was ABLAZE with lights in about 10 seconds!

Last edited:
My dad served during the Korean conflict, not sure where. Although he used to swear at my sister and i in fluent German. Didn't learn that in college. And NO uniforms! It would take two to make one fit now...

University of South Viet Nam, School of Warfare
USNA 67-68

Thank you to you vets.

Grandfather George Geisdorf US ARMY WW1 and WW2, Uncle Gene Geidorf, US ARMY KIA in WW2 Pattons 3rd armourd div. My Father Paul Brightwell, USAF crew chief, F86 Sabre with the famed 51st FTR INTRCP GP in Suon, SO Korea (MIG Alley). Brother Kevin Brightwell, USAF radar navigation spc B52G nuk bomber at SAC command Castle AFB Merced, CA, My nephew Clay Patrick Farr US ARMY SPC, trained with the 101st airborne as recon scout, deployed with the 10th mountain div. KIA in 2nd tour in Balad, Iraq 2-26-2006. Bronze star and two purple hearts. My son Dakota A Brightwell, Active USAF F16CJ crew chief, 79th tactical fighter squadron, Shaw AFB Sumter, SC . 79th TFS now deployed to Bagram AFB in Afganistan.

God Bless our Vets and troops

Hal,

The Battle of Leyte Gulf is well remembered to this day within the Navy and especially to destroyer sailors. Even now Detroyer Squadrons (when departing Hawaii) for deployment to Wes Pac will often conduct exercises recreating the destroyer maneuvers in the Leyte Gulf battle.

That was the biggest sea battle between Men-of-War since the British/French battle at Trafalger.

I remember it well. Becuase during one such reenactment, our Conning Officer missed a command to reduce speed (from all ahead flank) and we dang near rammed the ship in line ahead of us!

He ordered the rudder HARD to starboard and the only thing that saved us was the Captain. He was on the bridge and took command. Cancelled that order and called for 15 degrees starboard rudder. Instead of crashing nose first into the back or swinging around and slamming the tail into the ship ahead (yes it was that close), we slid right up alongside her!

A BIG salute to your Father and you for your service!

To all the Destroyer sailors.

U.S.S. Bausell DD-845 in seas (my old home).

Thanks, Richard! And indeed YES, to ALL the Destroyer sailors!!

It just keeps going on!

Father (MSTS) in the Korean war (I can remember going to San Fran to see him off on his ships in the late 40's and early 50's), many family members in Vietnam, me in Vetnam for two years - all canoe club.
My son, the 1st officer in the family, in the USN (it's what we do!) leaving shortly for the gulf.
As mentioned above, many of us coming back from Vietnam wern't appreciated. it hurt, but that seems to have changed now - good!

To all that have served or serving now - thank you greatly. To those going to serve - good luck and come home safely!
Rick

Back