Turnworkers at the Runoffs

robjacobsen

The Pros From Dover
SCCA Runoffs Oregon Region turn assignments.

For those who are interested, here are the turn assignments for the team of turnworkers that are here at the Runoffs.

Monday, Sept 21, Turns 14 and 15, the final turn on to the front straight and a flag station at the pit entrance.
Lee Casebeer turn captain
Cathy Frasier
Jim Brassfield
Rob Jacobsen
and Dave Champion from Chicago Region

Tuesday, Sept 22, Turn 10, the Carousel
Cathy Frasier turn captain
Lee Casebeer
Jim Brassfield
Rob Jacobsen

Wednesday, Sept 23, Turn 4
Rob Jacobsen turn captain
Lee Casebeer
Cathy Frasier
Jim Brassfield

Thursday, Sept 24, Turn 3 - 3A
Lee Casebeer
Jim Brassfield
Rob Jacobsen
With George Sladky and Dan Krueger from Milwaukee Region, Dave Hermann of Blackhawk Valley Region, and Mary Beth Gyulay from Chicago Region

Friday, Sept 25, Turn 13, Thunder Valley
Rob Jacobsen turn captain
Lee Casebeer
Cathy Frasier
Jim Brassfield
Mark Schue

Saturday, Sept 26, Turns 6 - 6F, Entrance to Hurry Downs
Lee Casebeer
Jim Brassfield
Rob Jacobsen
Mark Schue
Mike Thiessen of Northwest Region
with Chris Hefty from Land O Lakes Region and
Richard Smith from Chicago Region

Sunday, Sept 27, Turn 9
Lee Casebeer turn captain
Cathy Frasier
Jim Brassfield
Rob Jacobsen
Mark Schue
Mike Thiessen of Northwest Region
With Burt Hultman of Milwaukee Region

So now you know and perhaps if you watch any of the online Ineternet coverage on GoRacingTV.com, you may see us do our thing.

Enjoy yourselves 'grandpa', it should be a great week of racing at one of the finest facilities in the country, if not the entire racing world!
Don't forget to pose under the Conference sticker at Siebkens, we want photos.

I forgot to mention Bonnie Aarseth. She will be in race control and will join
us whenever possible on the corners when she is on breaks from her other duties. We will be sure to post pictures when we return sincevI can't really do that from my phone.

Siebkins has survived an invasion of Oregon and washington workers. Pictures were taken and wil be posted on our return. Unless the subjects of said pictures pay the fee to keep them private. Yes, we saw the ICSCC sticker on the wall. Seemed strange to think that folks actuall raced through the street right in front of the place. More later.

Hope you guys working Turn 4 today didn't get caught up in the HUGE crash at T-5 by Terry Biner. He's okay (walked away to go pick his wife up at the airport :) ) but it was one of the worst ones ever seen at Road America :(

Post about it by Mike Eakin (Purple Frog) (Pro F2000 scrutineer and FC racer) There a MESSAGE to all at the end:

4 years ago on a wednesday at the Runoffs I got to ride in a Tatuus as it completely desinigrated tumbling through thunder valley. This year on Wednesday at the Runoffs, Terry Biner outdid me, outdid me in a big way, and did it all by himself. And, almost unbelievably, like myself, he climbed out of what was left all by himself.

Those that witnessed the wreck swore it was the worse they had ever seen. Even the Chinese judge gave it a 9.0. Story seems to be that Terry was coming down into T5. Maybe a FE was passing on his left. Terry got too wide right and up on the entry rumble strips. He started bouncing along, apparently still in the throttle. At the bottom of the hill he bounced through a ditch/culvert, which turned him hard left. Then seemingly still under full throttle he launched straight across the track and hit the wall about 15 degrees off head on. Left front wheel hit concrete followed by the left rear wheel. He tank slapped the wall so hard it broke the VD in half at the rear of the fuel cell. That wasn't enough, it also shattered the bell housing hard enough that the starter flew out of the wreckage. The breakage was so forceful as to tear the starter ring off the flywheel. The engine was completely loose in the wreckage. The whole mess folding up into a ugly mess.

Terry freaked out the corner workers because he was talking on his radio for quite a while after the debri all fell back to earth, and was not visibly moving. But he did climb out under his own power and passed rapidly through all the medical checks. He then jumped in a street car to drive to Milwaukee to pick up his wife who was flying in to watch him at the Runoffs...

I spoke briefly with Justin afterwards, and he said it looked so bad that he basically lost all interest in speed after passing through T5. The drivers coming into pit lane on the black-all were all reporting that is was scary ugly.

It was big time ugly.

I was allowed to inspect the wreckage in the bone yard. I can say that the driver's compartment did everything it was supposed to do. And the anti-intrusion bars functioned as designed. Other than one oil line and a few wires one could just lift the motor out of the mess.

Wear your HANS device.

Last edited:
T5 is so much fun, when you get it right! What an ugly report Rich.

The attached photo is the 'hard left' just down the block from Siebkens. Off camber turn with houses on drivers right. That must have been fun to watch with Vettes and Can-Am Lolas rumbling through there.

A better shot of the turn. I wonder if that big house was there in the 50's and 60's?
Another shot of Siebkens with the porch and it's open screened windows.

Okay, I'm a PC guru, what can I say. Zip it Olsen.

This is the Siebkens porch, which is really cool, so to speak, on a hot day with a breeze wafting thorugh the windows. Not to mention nostalgia thick enough to cut with a knife!

Is it still raining Rob?

Siebkins pictures

I seem to recall a request for pictures when we visited Siebkins in Elkhart Lake. Here they are.

Last but not least is the shot of the ICSCC sticker on the wall at Siebkins. For those that go there, when you walk in the door, walk straight ahead until you reach to opposite wall and you will find the sticker.

Back