Trip back east.

Littlevees

Jim Venable
Michael,

Didn't want to hijack the tire thread.

Was the 3050 mile trip you recently made back east to deliver the car you refurbished for your Dad? If so, you don't mind and by chace recorded his reaction if you were able to keep it a surprise, it would be a cool thing for us to see. Well I think it would be. It would certainly top some of the interesting videos you've posted on here from time to time.

Jim V.

Hi Jim,

Well, it wasn't a surprise. He knew the car was headed his way and absolutely loved it when it rolled by the house on the trailer. He was really excited to see it. It was delivered on Father's Day. No video, sorry.

He's really taken to the car, too. Within a couple of days of me delivering the car, he's washed it and done some minor work on it and gone on some short trips with it. He knows a lot about the 944s and has surprised me with his knowledge of these cars. It sounds like he's frequented the Porsche forums. He knows more about this car than I do, haha. Oh yeah, Dad is 85 years young. :D

The "deal" is that I get to drive it whenever I visit. It's a lot of fun to drive. A true sports car. This is the 944 S2 with the 3.0L engine so it has a good amount of torque. I might do a track day at Lime Rock with it one of these days. That's a wonderful little track.

Oh, in addition to the trailer tire issues, I also hit a deer in Montana (glancing blow - the deer ran off and the truck only had minor damage) and my truck's engine is on its last legs (failing CR bearing, we think). But it was worth it. It was a fun trip. 3050 miles in 5 days!

Last edited:
Michael,

Thanks for sharing your story with us. Pretty cool way to be able to say thank you Dad for all you've done.

When Tim and I took a road trip to Indianapolis about eight years ago at this time of year we saw more dead deer along the side of the road than all other states combined. More interestingly was we didn't see any in Idaho which had the highest speed
limit on the trip.

We now return this forum back to racing related stuff.

Jim Venable

Back