Transponder wiring question

clintonracing

something witty
I am hard wiring in my transponder. I am planning to use an "add-a-circuit" and don't know what amp rating of a fuse I should use? The transponder can't be all that much of a draw... 5A good enough? less? more?

Thanks
Steve

AMB Transponder

You would probably have no problem with direct wiring like 90% of us did without much thought. I don't recall any warning in the installation instructions. But, you sound like you're a detail type person or you were recently fired from the space shuttle program and now you want to do everything "just right," so that you can show it to your new boss when you apply for your new job. In the mean time, you could call AMB at 678-816-4000 and ask the girl friday to speak with a technition for his recommendation. The biggest problem you will have is trying to remember where you wrote down the transponder number to put on each race entry form. It's a pain in the ass to have to crawl under the car each and every time. I wrote it down, checked it twice before I got up off the garage floor and then taped it on the lower left corner of my bathroom mirror. I can see it every time when sitting on the johnny in the morning. Also, install the transponder as far forward as possible on your race car chassis just in case you and a fellow racer might be set up for a tie when crossing the start/finish line. I bet you were surprised that you had another "racing expense" that has nothing to do to help you drive faster. Good luck on your new adventure.

Transponder uses about 60 milliamps as I recall and 5 amps would turn it to good BBQ charcoal.

IF you can find one about your best shot at saving it from a short circuit is 0.5 amp if you can find it.

When we 1st did ours, we put a 1 amp fuse in which was the smallest I could find. Second time we wired it, we just connected it to the ignition switch :)

The heck with it if it can't take a joke!

Yes, I know, AMB says to put it in a fused circuit. But, they don't tell you what size or provide the 12 cent fuse. Duhhh :rolleyes: It's their way of being sure if you cook it all they say is.. well, you didn't have the right size fuse in there did you?

Last edited:
haha!

Uh yeah, I was just trying to be lazy and use an add-a-circuit... and I need something to fill in the spot. I didn't want to crawl under the dash, find an ignition wire, cut and splice into while in a cramped space, etc.

I'll put in a 1A or 2.5A I guess. Not going to protect it from a short circuit.

DAMMIT! You're correct about the number though. I'll have to crawl under the car and write in down.

Transponder uses about 60 milliamps as I recall and 5 amps would turn it to good BBQ charcoal.

IF you can find one about your best shot at saving it from a short circuit is 0.5 amp if you can find it.

When we 1st did ours, we put a 1 amp fuse in which was the smallest I could find. Second time we wired it, we just connected it to the ignition switch :)

The heck with it if it can't take a joke!

Yes, I know, AMB says to put it in a fused circuit. But, they don't tell you what size or provide the 12 cent fuse. Duhhh :rolleyes: It's their way of being sure if you cook it all they say is.. well, you didn't have the right size fuse in there did you?

Why did you have to wire it in a second time?

I don't have the manual, which is partly why I am asking the question.

We wired it in a second time when we changed chassis. If we had left it in the old one, it wouldn't have worked very well.

Only things you need to worry about as far as install goes are..

Don't have it trying to shoot through metal or carbon fiber.
Get it low enough to be less then 2 feet above the track surface.
Try to position it so it won't be hit by rocks, etc.

Positioning forward is good. But remember, finishers 1 through 4,5 or 6 across the line are determined by starter stand observation. You won't miss out on a win because of AMB location. When deeper in the field, it can make a difference as deeper placings might be determined by AMB.

If being 16th instead of 17th is gonna make or break your weekend, mount the transponder on a pod about 3 feet in front of your nose :)

Use a felt pen and write your transponder # on your competition license if you have a memory like mine.

I too am a believer in wiring the transponder into a "key on" circuit and forgetting about it. I see transponder switches and wonder why. I was told in the old days transponders came with warnings like on cell phone chargers "Do not connect until after the engine starts". They were afraid of inductive kick back (which can be solved by adding a $0.02 flyback diode on the input leads).

I have mine wired into a switched accessory lead with a small fuse and have had no problems in over a full log book of races.

Use a felt pen and write your transponder # on your competition license if you have a memory like mine.

I too am a believer in wiring the transponder into a "key on" circuit and forgetting about it. I see transponder switches and wonder why. I was told in the old days transponders came with warnings like on cell phone chargers "Do not connect until after the engine starts". They were afraid of inductive kick back (which can be solved by adding a $0.02 flyback diode on the input leads).

I have mine wired into a switched accessory lead with a small fuse and have had no problems in over a full log book of races.

I made sure to write the number down on the fender wall in the engine compartment and in my log book.

I just wasn't too sure before I started if I needed to take any precautions because I didn't have the instruction manual (bought it second hand). I wired it to a "key on" source via an add-a-circuit at the fuse box, then used the smallest fuse I could find (2A). It'll be fine.

Thanks for all the help.

I made sure to write the number down on the fender wall in the engine compartment and in my log book..

Best way to work this is, walk around the paddock and find the fastest guy in your class that has their transponder number on the fire wall. Register using THAT transponder number then, leave your transponder switch in the OFF position :) works good.

Best way to work this is, walk around the paddock and find the fastest guy in your class that has their transponder number on the fire wall. Register using THAT transponder number then, leave your transponder switch in the OFF position :) works good.

lol haha -- god you guys are devious :)

Back