Transfer Roll Cage?

DavidG

I am going to part out an Rx-7 that has a nice 8pt weld in cage and am wondering if anyone has experience/advice regarding transferring the cage to another car?

Cut the roof off.

Then let the buyer figure out if he wants to do the same.
It's actually a well known way to put a really tight fitting cage in a sedan. You can weld places impossible to get to otherwise.

Thanks Bill, that was one method I was wondering about, and probably the route I will go. I appreciate the reply, was hoping to hear more from others too regarding methods, rule issues, etc. Such as Richard's post, I'm assuming it would need a new stamp once welded into my other car?

The stamp goes with the car.

You can cut a cage, but then you have to carefully follow all the SCCA regulations with respect to joining tubes after a repair.
The buyer should consult with their club's tech guru before they start to understand how this is done prior to purchase.

I've been digging in 1105, and I can't find the direct citation, dangit! But the answer is yes, if you do any work on your cage, you need to have it re-inspected. Cutting it out of one car & putting it in another would count as "work".

Back