Toyota withdraws from Formula 1

kerry_mcmurtrey

Lazy Member
Toyota withdraws from Formula 1

Toyota has confirmed that it is pulling out of Formula 1 racing after posting its worst financial loss.

The world's largest car manufacturer will concentrate on its core business.

Toyota president Akio Toyoda said the Japanese team had no option but to pull out citing "the current severe economic realities" affecting the world.

The team failed to win any of the 139 races it entered after making its F1 debut in 2002 but was fifth in the 2009 constructors' championship.

Toyota's withdrawal leaves the sport with no Japanese team after Honda left F1 at the start of the 2009 season. They become the third manufacturer to quit the sport in the last 11 months after BMW announced it was leaving in July.

Honda were replaced by Brawn, who went on to win this year's drivers' championship with Jenson Button and the constructors' championship.

Button told BBC Sport: "It's sad. I thought Toyota would continue.

"They've obviously got their reasons, as Honda did, but it's a pity for F1 and for Toyota. Hopefully we can survive without them."

In May the company revealed its worst set of figures for the last financial year - a 436.9bn yen (£2.9bn) loss in the year to 31 March, 2009 and is expecting further losses when it posts its results to September 2009 on Thursday.

Renault considers Formula 1 exit

Renault considers Formula 1 exit

Renault is to discuss pulling out of Formula 1 at an emergency board meeting in Paris on Wednesday.

The French car company will decide whether to remain in the sport with its own team, switch to simply being an engine supplier or quit altogether.

The news comes on the day that Toyota announced its decision to quit F1, becoming the third car company to leave the sport in the last 11 months.

Renault is not expected to make public its decision on Wednesday.

The company does not want to distract attention from a publicity event on Thursday at which president Carlos Ghosn will promote the company's efforts at introducing zero-emission vehicles.

The emergency board meeting will be attended by Renault F1 bosses Bob Bell and Jean-Francois Caubet, but they will not be allowed to take part in the debate about the team's future.

A Renault spokeswoman was unable to comment.

ANDREW BENSON BLOG
Renault have motorsport in their blood

Renault have had their least competitive F1 season since 2001 and finished eighth out of 10 teams in the constructors' championship after Sunday's final race of the season in Abu Dhabi.

The company came under scrutiny for the team's involvement in the Singapore 2008 race-fixing scandal, in which they decided not to contest charges that they had asked Nelson Piquet Jr to crash to aid team-mate Fernando Alonso's bid for victory.

Motorsport's governing body the FIA gave Renault a ban from F1, suspended for two years, as punishment, while team bosses Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds were forbidden from attending FIA-sanctioned events.

Code:
http://www.thecargeeks.com/index.php/news_story/renault_considers_formula_1_exit_.html

Honda gone. BMW gone. Bridgestone leaving. Toyota gone. Renault on the way out. F3 teams are in. Mosley out, but not gone.

The pinnacle of motorsports.

At least they don't have full-course "debris yellows" for debris nobody can find.

(Besides, as Christian Horner pointed out yesterday, F1 has never revolved around manufacturer-based teams.)

Perhaps not de facto, but most certainly in practice. Sounds like a pretty transparent attempt to spin plainly obvious trends that should be very alarming to anyone with eyes and any assets in the product.

Not if you've followed it for 30 years, as I have. There is a boom/bust cycle in F1, as in everything else. Doomsayers have come and gone with the "death of F1" rant, but it hasn't happened yet. Are there areas for improvement in F1? Oh my, yes, but just because some of the manufacturers are leaving is by no means the death knell of F1.

"As a manufacturer of mostly dull, uninteresting sedans we have decided to concentrate our motorsports resources in NASCAR, which is more closely aligned with our corporate image." - Akio Toyoda

some parts of that may be fictitous....:p

F1 isn't going anywhere, but they do need to stop the bickeing and in-fighting that the public doesn't want to see or hear. Maybe with Mosley out it will improve, but as long as old Bernie is in there it will continue to be a circus.
I'm like you Steve, I first saw an F1 race while living in Germany in the 60's, and I've been a rabid fan ever since. It is the pinnacle for sure, but it was originally privateer teams with no ties to any car companies, and whether that involvement hurt or helped over the years would make quite a debate.
I have a photo of Stewart, Hill and I think McLaren at an F1 event in either Australia or New Zealand in the 60's, and it's priceless. They are wearing those cheap gold suits, and unloading their cars from little open trailers behind small trucks. Of course Tyrell won their first championship with Stewart run from a barn on a samll piece of property, and the entire season cost them less than $500,000 pounds as I recall!
What was this thread about again?

... Honda gone.... BMW gone.... Toyota gone. Renault on the way out.....

Well, now that Honda has moved (forced their way) in to FF, maybe Formula One will go to the Kent, Pinto engines (replaced by Zetec). It will help reduce the team costs for sure. There will be plenty around over the coming years. Maa Waa Hahahaha

Back