Tow Vehicle Question??

Bill Bonsell

I currently pull a 20' enclosed trailer (SM inside) with a motor home...estimate total trailer weight somewhere around 6500 pounds with tires, etc. My son and I want to get another vehicle as a backup and
for use for short easy day trips. Been looking at mid to late 90's Suburban 3/4 ton vehicles. A question I have is whether or not a 350 Vortex V8 will do the job or do we need to settle on the 454 which are not as prevalent.
We aren't looking to spend a lot of money (under $4500) so a Suburban seems to fit the bill. Don't want a pickup. If anyone has an opinion, I would appreciate it. And if you happen to know someone who might be looking to
part with a vehicle like this, please let me know.....thanks. :smile:

Bill-

ps: I know I could probably contact a local Chevy dealership and talk to someone, but forums are much more fun and what else do I have to do until April.

I tow a 27 foot travel trailer behind my 2001 Suburban 1/2 ton with the 5.3L engine. Loaded weight is around 7000 pounds. It is about all that my rig can handle. I'd love to have a bit more power out of it, but it is what it is.

Full size vans also work great.

Before the RV I used a Power Stroke Diesel. It hardly knew a 6500 pound trailer was back there.

But its predecessor was an F-250 with a 351. It worked fine for "short easy day trips".

I have had a few mid 90's gm 3/4 ton trucks and will say the 350 will tow but you will be in the gas hard up hills etc. The 454 is worth the hunt and you will like the torque. Current truck is 94 gmc 3500 4x4 with the big block and it works well. The gas mileage is as bad as your motorhome though. Good luck finding a nice one with lower miles for that money as they hold their value. I hope this helps.

I have had a few mid 90's gm 3/4 ton trucks and will say the 350 will tow but you will be in the gas hard up hills etc. The 454 is worth the hunt and you will like the torque. Current truck is 94 gmc 3500 4x4 with the big block and it works well. The gas mileage is as bad as your motorhome though. Good luck finding a nice one with lower miles for that money as they hold their value. I hope this helps.

Great info...thanks all. Looks like the 454 is definitely the way to go...my son is shopping in the San Fran area as prices there are much less than up here for a late 90's...

Bill-

..my son is shopping in the San Fran area as prices there are much less than up here for a late 90's...
-

This seems to be the case for many cars. Seattle vehicles tend to be more expensive than those in other areas. Perhaps it's a reflection of the generally robust economy here?

This seems to be the case for many cars. Seattle vehicles tend to be more expensive than those in other areas. Perhaps it's a reflection of the generally robust economy here?

Not sure that's the case Mike....just a much greater population, hence a lot more vehicles for sale on any given day resulting in more competition which lowers prices....been shopping for another Porsche and many more for sale in SF area and some great buys!

Bill-

Not sure that's the case Mike....just a much greater population, hence a lot more vehicles for sale on any given day resulting in more competition which lowers prices....been shopping for another Porsche and many more for sale in SF area and some great buys!

Bill-

That might be the case. I bought my 944 S2 from a guy in Napa Valley.

Towed my American Sedan on 18' open trailer, total about 6000 lbs loaded up tires and stuff loaded inside the car. Back & forth to Thill
it towed up most grades at full 60 mph. Averaged about 8 mpg with 2002 350 Suburban, and the suburban was itself loaded with more tires,
tools, parts, etc. I think the 350 is pretty OK as a back-up plan, Chevy listed tow capacity at 8000 lbs I think. If you were going to do all
towing with it, then yes, 454 might be justified.

For what's it is worth, I have a neighbor who has a 99 chevy suburan 2500 (3/4 ton) with the big block (not the 454) and tows a 34 ft trailer grossing +/- 15,000, he gets average 11.5 mph and has had no problems with the vehicle.

I have a 98 chevy 2500 p/u with the 454 and I tow a 36 ft trailer and I average between 10.5 and 11 mph.

Get a 4x4 if you can. I use my truck's 4x4 capabilities more than I originally estimated. It's especially useful during these snow storms.

Get a 4x4 if you can. I use my truck's 4x4 capabilities more than I originally estimated. It's especially useful during these snow storms.

Well the search is over. My son just bought a white '93 Suburban 2500 4x4 454 in exceptional condition with brake controller installed, for $2300. Will be coming north from SF after he completes the "Art of Road Racing" weekend at Thunderhill on the 27-28th....

Thanks for all the great information. While the 96 and up vehicles had the vortex engine with a bit more hp,
this was the best cared for vehicle he saw of many and the 454 should work very well meeting our towing needs. :)

Bill-

I would suggest he pick up an EAZ-lift weight distribution hitch from Camping World in Oregon (no tax) if you do not already have one, best 300.00 I ever spent (don,t ask). Next would be a trip to the shop to go thru the Big Girl's brakes (again don't ask)........but wait there's more I have a set of 4 Suuuubuuuuurban 16 inch factory mags for not much money if you are interested.

I would suggest he pick up an EAZ-lift weight distribution hitch from Camping World in Oregon (no tax) if you do not already have one, best 300.00 I ever spent (don,t ask). Next would be a trip to the shop to go thru the Big Girl's brakes (again don't ask)........but wait there's more I have a set of 4 Suuuubuuuuurban 16 inch factory mags for not much money if you are interested.

Shoot me an email greg and a pic of the wheels if you could...wbonsell at com cast dot net

Thanks.

$2,300.00 for that Suburban sounds like an incredible deal. A 2500 with a 454 and a brake controller. Perfect for towing a race car. Good for you.

$2,300.00 for that Suburban sounds like an incredible deal. A 2500 with a 454 and a brake controller. Perfect for towing a race car. Good for you.

Thanks Michael...appreciate the kind words. Yeah, perfect condition, new brakes and a dry (no leaks) engine compartment. A little detailing and it should be a nice addition to our race team!

Bill-

Back