Tow vehicle: Gas vs Diesel?

To be perfectly honest I haven't tracked it accurately for a long time now. My towing mileage is about 11 mpg on the last trip to CA in July. Commuting I get about 16.
This particular truck really saw only vacation use until 3 years ago, when I started to daily drive it to work 50 miles each way. It still gets at least a half dozen race hauls to WA, OR and CA each year. If you can afford to race at all, you just can't afford to get anal about the gas bills! The tremendous torque at very low revs, and the hill-holder function in cruise (up hill and down) are the best things about the combination of the 8.1 liter and Allison trans. I always have to remind myself there's about 5 tons back there! It is 2WD, extended cab, 2500 HD.

Toyota Tundra. Mine is a 2004 with 135,000, and not one hiccup yet. Out of 20 + vehicles in my life it is definitely the best ever for me.

Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel. Long Bed Single Rear Wheel. Awesomeness in a truck.
Tows much better than my previous Ram 1500 Hemi.

+1 for the RAM diesel. I love the torque. Mine is an 03 5.9 liter.. I get 18-20 MPG on long trips not towing. I got ~14 MPG in 2014 with my old trailer. I tow at 70 MPH. G

Back