Tow Vehicle Advice

FFRSpec72

I'm looking @ a Ford Ranger v6 (3.0) as a tow vehicle, the car being towed is 2200# and trailer is between 1200-1800# and towing capacity is of the Ranger is 6000#. Has anyone had any experience with this combination (so it would be like towing a SM)?

I'm running a 2.9 V6 in my '88 Bronco II, and I pulled (flat-tow) an AS Camero up the hill through ORP's T11 into the pits this weekend. I need just about 500 more RPM going into the climb, but I would not have wanted to go much farther with it. Your torque may vary, but it sure felt like a lot of weight for my small V6.

Are you sure that tow rating is correct? It sounds high for a Ranger.

Is the hitch rated for anything above 5000 lbs (Class 3)? Don't forget to account for the spares/tools/etc. in the bed and any passengers.

Personally, I wouldn't pull any car trailer with anything less than a V-8 F-150 or similar sized truck/SUV. The extra cost of a mid-size pickup truck is probably cheaper than the replacement/rebuild cost of a Ranger transmission or rear diff. ;)

>>
I'm looking @ a Ford Ranger v6 (3.0) as a tow vehicle, the car being towed is 2200# and trailer is between 1200-1800# and towing capacity is of the Ranger is 6000#. Has anyone had any experience with this combination (so it would be like towing a SM)?
>>

When I first bought my Formula Ford, I towed it home with a Dodge Dakota Sport with a V6 engine. My car, trailer, copious of containerized salsa, tools, etc, added close to 3,000 pounds.

I believe, in your case, the power is not going to be the critical issue. The Ford Ranger is actually smaller than the Dakota Sport.

The main issue is going to be the weight of your truck versus the weight of your trailer, car and all the crap we haul to the races.

I lived the nightmare of doing a complete 360 degree spin, in the middle of 405 rush traffic, in the rain with the truck and trailer attached.

Miraculously, I did not hit anything or anyone. I actually recovered control heading in the right direction. Another racer Michael Lensen, right behind me, witnessed my spin with truck and trailer and offered .................................. "if I would not have seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't or couldn't believe it!!!" I told him that sometimes is better to be lucky than good.

If you are going to do this, please, please and please, invest in a towing sway bar and hitch stabilizing bars. With the light weight of the Ranger you might have a constant competition between your truck and your trailer as to ................................. which one is going to be ahead of the other; ..... does this make sense?

J.C.

Stay within the published specs of the truck. The important numbers are GVWR and GCWR. If you want to be very thorough, check out GAWR (front) and GAWR (rear) too. "Max trailer weight" is a marketing term - not an outright lie, but frequently misleading to the upside.

GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) is the most the truck can safely weigh. This includes the truck itself, a full tank of gas, you, any passengers, all the gear you put in the cab and the bed, *and* the weight of the trailer tongue. If you loaded up for a race, hitched up the trailer and put just the 4 truck wheels onto a scale, that weight can't safely exceed GVWR. GCWR (gross combination weight rating) is the combined weight of truck and trailer. If you put the loaded truck and the trailer on the scale, that weight can't safely exceed GCWR.

Also think about how close to the limits you want to be when it's 98 degrees out and you're pulling the Vantage grade coming back from a Spokane race, or when you're fighting gusty crosswinds on the way to a late-season ORP race. Some extra capacity may be appropriate.

Ah-ha, so that's why you are so comfortable spinning on the track. It all makes sense to me now Captain!!

Did you have a good time at ORP? Looked like a decent turn-out for both G3 and G6, too bad I missed it. You of course brought home two more first place trophies, and distributed your salsa evenly throughout the paddock, yes?

Hey Tony --

I tow my Spec Miata on a 16' tilt dual axle with a 5.7 Hemi Grand Cherokee. I prefer the big SUV over a truck. Suspension is a bit soft on the Cherokee (will remedy that soon with heavier shocks), but sure is comfortable and makes it easier when its raining. On the freeway cruising at 65, I hardly notice it's all back there. Can't imagine towing your Cobra with a V-6 Ranger. Not enough vehicle weight in my opinion.

This may sound weird and unsafe but we use a 2006 Tundra (the old smaller tundra 1/2 ton) to tow a 24FT enclosed haulmark trailer with either a 66 Corvette with a 427 BBC, or a 1990 IROC-Z A Sedan in it. The truck only has the V6 in it. We've added a helper spring on the rear. We use the sway control, load leveler bars between the hitch and trailer.
The Tundra pulls it better and slows it easier than our 25FT motorohome!
It is considered a 1/2 truck but it is small... And, it does the job! Never overheats and has a tranny cooler as well.

We just bought a 2010 Ranger V6. They say towing capacity 5000 lbs.
NOT, I wouldn't pull that kinda weight behind it.
F150 would be a safer bet, for power and larger size for stability, and yes go with a really good hitch set up. You don't want to lose the family jewels. (JC kept his fortunately)

So I'm getting the idea that a F-150 may be a better choice here.

Probably true. There's an old saying among racers.

No matter your tow vehicle, over time, you'll reach its maximum towing potential up to the point where you buy a tractor and 53' trailer.

Buy the biggest you can afford that meets your needs, be safe and plan on trading UP in a few years. The 'stuff' you bring to the track does NOT decrease over time.

We tow our 1,065 pound FC on an open trailer to Pacific from Tacoma with a Toyota Tacoma FOUR banger! Plus a Lincoln Continental that's JAMMED full front seat, back seat and trunk with 'stuff'. For Portland, we convince my brother to tow us with an ancient Ford F-250 diesel that doesn't know the trailers back there and STILL have the 'stuffed' Lincoln following along (but that's just because we don't want to pack the truck camper full to the ceiling with the other 'stuff'.

All that other 'stuff' partially supports 3 hewmans at the track for the weekend. Food, cooking, camping, etc. in addition to tools, spares, etc.

Last edited:
>>Ah-ha, so that's why you are so comfortable spinning on the track. <<

Wes, spinning on track or on 405 will never be comfortable, ......................... in a race car or towing a trailer with my truck.

>>It all makes sense to me now Captain!!<<

........................ that's Captain Jesus to you.

If this makes sense to you, ...................................... I recommend therapy or ........................ ????

>>Did you have a good time at ORP? <<

Yes, no and almost.

YES; ....................... the people there were absolutely "top drawer". The TC folks were incredibly kind and they more than made up for tthe lack of resources and paddock space, truly a non issue compared to their wonderful hospitality.

The Saturday night bash was a truly wonderful thing and they should be given a Conference award for having the best party on a Saturday night.

NO
; ..................... I had car issues and was not prepareD to tackle a "new track".

Since I am fairly new at this sort of thing, I will just say, the track was "challenging" and I was basically .............................................. frustrated into shouting unspeakable language that none of the nuns would have allowed me speak without the usual mutilation with a 16" steel ruler.

This track almost made me quit racing and return to picking grapes in the San Joaquin Valley!!!

MAYBE; .................... if I were better prepared, .............. if my car didn't have electrical issues, ...................... if I could spend more time on track and learn the track .............................. if could just be a better driver; ............. maybe, I would have had a better time. You know what they say; ............................................. if I were an elephant I would never use my trunk for peanuts. (an old Cuban saying)

>>Looked like a decent turn-out for both G3 and G6, too bad I missed it. <<

There was a great turn-out and some had a blast. We missed you too.

>>You of course brought home two more first place trophies, and distributed your salsa evenly throughout the paddock, yes?<<

.................... It was almost embarrassing to win a first place trophy. I was the only Formula Ford there!! Besides slowing everyone's lap times and running into a fellow racer, I managed to cross the finish line in one piece and take the checkered flag.

................ that checkered flag means many things to many people. Just seeing the checkered flag in front of me, .......... ALWAYS means a win for me. Yesterday, after my last CT Scan, my oncologist informed that I am cancer free and that I am now officially a cancer survivor.

Racing gave me a reason and purpose to fight and beat this horrible disease. Some call it the "bucket list". I call it purpose and reason to live.

I always believed that a man without a dream is a man without a future. Racing provided me for a future and to overcome cancer. Racing was something I always dreamed of doing.

Racing and being amongst all the wonderful people who share the passion for racing is always a win for me; regardless how I finish the race.

.............................. so there you have it, my personal feelings on taking the checkered flag;................. deserving it or not.

.......................... Yes there was salsa and there will also be salsa in Portland. Hope to see you there.

J.C.

Lynn:

................... that's funny!

J.C.

P.S. ...................... since I do not depend on many devices that depend on batteries, ......... I never think of that damned pink bunny.

Say more. These cars a pretty simple from an electrics stand point. What happened?

Rick:

Luckily, the electrics, as far as the engine running well, are O.K. Once the car has been running and is hot, the engine will not turn over. The car needs to be push started.

Since I am still learning to drive race cars and often times take detours through the weeds, once the engine dies, ............. I'm toast.

Apparently, I have a ground issue preventing battery power to turn the starter. The battery, starter, solenoid and associated switches checked O.K.

We are rewiring the car and assuring better and more dependable connections in order to ensure a better ground. I am considering adding an additional grounding strap to improve readability.

The simple things are usually the most frustrating because they "should" be ............................ simple to repair

J.C.

"I always believed that a man without a dream is a man without a future. Racing provided me for a future and to overcome cancer. Racing was something I always dreamed of doing.

Racing and being amongst all the wonderful people who share the passion for racing is always a win for me; regardless how I finish the race."-- J.C.

Those, my friend, are the emanations of a true sportsman.

Thank you for surviving.

I've read this in more than a few towing threads that the actual weight you intend to tow should not exceed about 70% of the published tow rating for the vehicle. And "towing" is different than "stopping". That is, the size of the tow vehicle should be dominant over the trailer (or stated another way, just because you can pull it, doesn' mean you can stop it!)

.... Once the car has been running and is hot, the engine will not turn over. The car needs to be push started. J.C.

So, once the car cools down it will start again just fine without recharging the battery?

If so, I'd look at two things.

Even though the starter may test 'good' on a tester when it's out of the car and cool, you could have a problem with a HOT starter motor. Do you have a heat shield wraped around the starter? About a $35 item but worth it on a formula car.

P.S. If you do it yourself be careful you don't short out the voltage terminals on the starter motor.

Could be bad contacts inside the Master OFF switch. They've been known to go 'bad' and, when the've been conducting a lot of current (like when racing) could present a poor ground over time. Replace the Master OFF switch. It should be an 5 years or so maintenance item any way.

P.S. They are NOT water tight.

Last edited:
Back