To the Administrator

Twice now my internet connection timed out in the middle of a fairly long, highly intellectual, very pertinent and insightful contribution to a thread. The high tech vBull****in told me to refresh and promptly deleted all of my text. Maybe 1.5 hours lost. Hardly rewarding. Pardon my anger! I'm done!! Please repair to preclude any further victimage.

Steve, I too have been frustrated with losing replies ... I've learned to copy it before I hit "post reply", so that I can paste it back when I re-log-in! Or if I'm REALLY smart, I draft out what I'm going to say elsewhere then copy and paste it in ... that way I only have to log in once! Is there a reason why it has to time out so quickly when you're in the midst of drafting a reply?

A few observations:
  • If you login/logout for each session, I would generally recommend against that (unless you're on a public computer, of course). Just leave the site without bothering to log out. (For example, I'm a non-admin member on other VBB systems and I've never gotten timed-out. I also have cookies enabled and don't log out after each session. Maybe there's a connection?)
  • I've searched all over and there does not appear to be an admin-configurable option to adjust timeout. Based on some other settings, it wouldn't surprise me to learn the timeout is 15 minutes. (Assuming it's VBB that's timing out and not your Internet connection.)
  • Generally speaking, systems like this that time out only do so when there's NO activity for long periods of time. If whatever you're composing requires more than, I dunno 10-15 minutes between edits, I'd strongly recommend editing it offline and then posting the results, as Bonnie describes.

Back